Anyone into retro gaming?

15,487 Views | 168 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by WGann3
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's pretty cool. I remember being in Japan as a teenager and hanging out with a dude who had that with the OG resident evil aka Biohazard in Japan. Was a good time hanging out on a tatami mat and freaking ourselves out.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
FAT SEXY said:

Pulled triggers on a gray Japanese Sega Saturn tonight. Complete in box shipping direct from Japan, purchased on eBay.

I would have gotten a regular black US version Saturn, but I just love this gray color scheme that was only available in Japan. I ordered an Action Replay cartridge from AliExpress that will make this console region free and able to play US titles.

Can't wait to start hunting games for this bad boy. This is the system I used to DREAM about owning as a kid.

I have a US one but no Action Replay. I thought there was one that let you either load games from an SD card or save state maybe? I need to get into this system more when I get the game room set back up this year.
The Fife
FAT SEXY said:

That's a game that's definitely on my radar. It's crazy how much some of these titles have increased in price. Saturn Bomberman is going for $500 complete in box.

One thing that I've always loved about the Saturn is the game cases themselves. They are really unique.
You can order them off Amazon. I bought a dozen because some of my games are loose. Need to figure out how to print out inserts on semigloss paper still. Any ideas for that?
Proposition Joe
Anyone up for some 4-player Gauntlet?
The Fife
BLUE. WIZARD. NEEDS FOOD. BADLY
Post removed:
by user
Proposition Joe
I am, just sad that I simply don't have near as much time as I'd like to actually tinker with it. The upside is it can do just about anything, the downside is because of that it takes a bit of tinkering and config work to get things how you want them. It's not designed to play 8-10 games perfectly, but rather 1000 games pretty well. Just a high end computer surrounded by arcade hardware.

I can go from a game of Burgertime to Virtua Fighter 3 to House of the Dead all within minutes, but if it's the first time of me playing any of those games and I haven't saved the button/gun config properly, then it'll take a bit. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I don't have countless hours to dump into it like when I was young so in my old age "I just want it to work".
Post removed:
by user
Rex Racer
AG
Proposition Joe said:

I am, just sad that I simply don't have near as much time as I'd like to actually tinker with it. The upside is it can do just about anything, the downside is because of that it takes a bit of tinkering and config work to get things how you want them. It's not designed to play 8-10 games perfectly, but rather 1000 games pretty well. Just a high end computer surrounded by arcade hardware.

I can go from a game of Burgertime to Virtua Fighter 3 to House of the Dead all within minutes, but if it's the first time of me playing any of those games and I haven't saved the button/gun config properly, then it'll take a bit. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but I don't have countless hours to dump into it like when I was young so in my old age "I just want it to work".
Yep. There's a reason that when I get a different computer to run mine, I put my old hard drive in it. I don't want to have to reconfigure everything. I already did that once, but I've been working off the same hard drive for almost 20 years.
boy09
AG
I know most of the people in this thread are talking about collecting actual physical media/games, but i just ordered an Anbernic RG35XX. It's a pretty slick little device for only ~$60.
Rex Racer
AG
boy09 said:

I know most of the people in this thread are talking about collecting actual physical media/games, but i just ordered an Anbernic RG35XX. It's a pretty slick little device for only ~$60.
That's very slick. As someone who is into emulation, I dig it.
Post removed:
by user
Nixter
AG
In the stack you've got, Ranger X is really good and is a console exclusive. Flashback has quirky controls but when you get used to it, it's good. Flashback is on other platforms as well. Castle of Illusion is good too, and the HD remake available on the XBox 360/One is fun. Mystic Defender isn't bad either, for its time.

Ghouls 'n' Ghosts is probably my favorite Genesis game of all time. Very early release and the only American home port of that game.

I finally got a copy of Phantasy Star II this week. I had it as a kid, beat it back then, and really loved it. I've got PS III and PS IV in the box as well.

Pick up Shadow Dancer. It's one of my favorite Genesis titles and can be had for cheap. It's a port of the arcade version but plays much better than the arcade version
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
I can tell from looking at the Genesis and Wii U stacks that's a MUCH more valuable collection than what I've got!
Post removed:
by user
mas61475
AG
Post removed:
by user
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I bust out the PS2 and play Kingdom Hearts once every 5 years or so.
C@LAg
i am going to be building a new MAME arcade cabinet starting in May.

will probably create a full thread for it to document end-to-end for ****s and giggles.
The Fife
I've wanted that one for a while now, if you see one for sale at a decent price can you let me know?
Rex Racer
AG
C@LAg said:

i am going to be building a new MAME arcade cabinet starting in May.

will probably create a full thread for it to document end-to-end for ****s and giggles.

It's a fun process. Enjoy it!
AG
anyone use one of these before?

https://etim.net.au/nesrgb/

i just ordered one for a famicom av. install looks straight forward.

Post removed:
by user
Rex Racer
AG
boy09 said:

This sent me down a rabbit hole of portable gaming devices. I had no idea there are so many options out there. The Steam Deck looks amazing, but pretty pricey for the top model. But it will emulate consoles all the way up to the Wii and maybe beyond, as well as play your PC games from Steam.

AYN has some really cool devices, too.

Emulation has come a long way since I built my MAME cabinet back in 2001.

boy09
AG
Yeah, there's a ton of different options out there for these little devices that all more or less do the same thing. It's a little overwhelming to wade through it all. Anbernic alone has over 20 different models on their website.

The Steam Deck is a little different animal. It's a Steam/portable PC gaming platform first, that also happens to do some console emulation.
Post removed:
by user
The Fife
Some levels on that game would be a hell of a lot easier with a regular controller than what they implemented for the game on the Wii.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.