Tailgate TV Options

3,714 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 86 Tex Ag
jefe95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the risk of hijacking another thread, what are the setups for TV at Tailgates? I'm sure there's a thread somewhere, but I can't find it.

Looks like the Dish Tailgater might be the best option and most straightforward.

But what are the go to WiFi and TV App options to catch a couple of games? Hulu? YouTubeTV?
tfunk02
AG
Phone service is not there when it is crowded. A&M wi-fi, if you can get on it, probably will not reach your tailgate. Sat and antenna are the only real options.

If the weather holds, I plan to take my StarLink out there this weekend to have my own hotspot and run YouTubeTV, BUT I know I will be 20 seconds or more behind all of the sat based TV's around me.
Roger That
AG
Starlink couldn't hold a stream very well for me last weekend - I had lots of buffering that made it unusable.
jg07
AG
Roger That said:

Starlink couldn't hold a stream very well for me last weekend - I had lots of buffering that made it unusable.
Well ***** That was on of the main reasons I bought it. I justified it to myself to provide backup internet as I work from home but really wanted it for tailgating.
htxag09
AG
Tailgater is best option, imo. Easy to set up and you buy the equipment so you only pay the months you use it. First game is always a little annoying, though. Since it's been so long since it was used they always have to send a signal to reboot it. And depending on who you get when you call, some understand that but some struggle and try all sorts of **** before doing what you asked.

Also found the same as above. We've attempted hot spots or phone hot spots and the service just gets too inconsistent as crowds build.
LostInLA07
AG
Activate it at home a day or two before you leave so you aren't messing with tech support on Gameday.

But agree tailgater is best. It auto acquires the satellite, no issues with cell or Starlink bandwidth, and you only have to pay for a few months of service during the season.
htxag09
AG
Yeah. We'd either do it the day before when we're setting up the tent or just wait until the morning of the first game. We get out there at 5/6 to start the smoker so wasn't a big deal. Unload, get the fire going, then call as we're setting the rest of the stuff up.
Roger That
AG
htxag09 said:

Yeah. We'd either do it the day before when we're setting up the tent or just wait until the morning of the first game. We get out there at 5/6 to start the smoker so wasn't a big deal. Unload, get the fire going, then call as we're setting the rest of the stuff up.

You don't have to call to do the signal/activation anymore, there's an option in the dish app once you have a signal locked.
Tailgate88
AG
Roger That said:

It worked well for us in Aggie Park.
Roger That
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Roger That said:

Are you local to College Station? If so, you probably don't get hit with mobility throttling and have priority over us traveling plebeians.
jefe95
AG
Thanks all. Good intel.

I tried an OTA HD antenna last year. But had some struggles. Need a better option.
degreedy
AG
we are actively trying OTA HD antenna as an option and have found absolutely no success with it. cannot pick up a signal to save our lives.

hate to say it but we are probably having to go back to dish.
Tailgate88
AG
Roger That said:

Tailgate88 said:

Roger That said:

Are you local to College Station? If so, you probably don't get hit with mobility throttling and have priority over us traveling plebeians.
I am, but the Starlink we are using is actually on my buddy's account from his cabin in Montana. He just added a receiver. I don't have Starlink personally so I don't know that much about mobility throttling etc. Will pay closer attention this week and try to post an update after Saturday.
chase128
AG
htxag09 said:

Tailgater is best option, imo. Easy to set up and you buy the equipment so you only pay the months you use it. First game is always a little annoying, though. Since it's been so long since it was used they always have to send a signal to reboot it. And depending on who you get when you call, some understand that but some struggle and try all sorts of **** before doing what you asked.

Also found the same as above. We've attempted hot spots or phone hot spots and the service just gets too inconsistent as crowds build.

You can send the activation/wake-up signal via the Dish phone app
Dr. Horrible
That phone app activation was a life saver last Saturday
Aggieholic03
How many TVs could you connect to a Dish Tailgater? I'm planning a tailgate party for the TAMU department I work for and I will need three or four TVs streaming the game since I expect around 75 people.
akaggie05
AG
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=18785
n_touch
Aggieholic03 said:

How many TVs could you connect to a Dish Tailgater? I'm planning a tailgate party for the TAMU department I work for and I will need three or four TVs streaming the game since I expect around 75 people.
They say two per tailgater. We use them for our RV but we have moved to two separate satellites. We never had good luck running two hoppers on one tailgater since you have to stay on the same satellite. You can also buy a hdmi splitter and use that with multiple tv's if you are staying on the same channel.

BQAg09
AG
I have used an owned direct tv dish and receiver. Worked well for us in the past. I've had 2-3 TV's hooked up using an HDMI splitter. The hardest part is getting it aimed correctly on initial setup. For that I use a tripod made for the dish, and modified the legs with some carriage bolts and wing nuts to make leveling it easy. Plus a cheap compass to get the correct bearing. You can look up what it needs to be on their website. The key with this setup is that you OWN the receiver. We would just call direct TV and have them add it to my dad's account for football season, then take it off. It was only another 10 bucks a month while it was active.

I haven't tailgated in years, so if you're interested I'd be willing to sell the whole setup.
Aggieholic03
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I think the HDMI splitter will work just fine for us since we will only need to stream the Aggie game, but on multiple TVs. DirecTV sounds like a pain to setup. Do you recommend the DISH Playmaker or the King Tailgater for this? We will probably only use it once a year.
n_touch
Aggieholic03 said:

Awesome! Thanks for the help. I think the HDMI splitter will work just fine for us since we will only need to stream the Aggie game, but on multiple TVs. DirecTV sounds like a pain to setup. Do you recommend the DISH Playmaker or the King Tailgater for this? We will probably only use it once a year.
My only experience is the King Tailgater. You should be fine with not having to resend a signal since you are using it on a reg basis. If not just plug it in at home and let the box. I like the King Tailgater since all I have to do it point it in the semi right direction and the satellite moves in the unit to find the signal. Makes set simple.
86 Tex Ag
AG
+1 for Dish King Tailgater. Buy service from Dish Outdoors on monthly basis (No long term contract). Do test run the week before the Saturday game. Learn how to set it up, get the receiver activated, download the guide, and take care of any firmware updates on the receiver. Figure out how to use the receiver and TV remote. Bring extra HDMI cables, AA and AAA batteries for remotes, and coaxial cable. Don't forget audio needs. I just use my soundbar from home w digital audio out. Plenty loud. I like the tailgater carrying case and tripod. Used to put on top of car roof but no more. Watch out for high winds. Gusts this weekend ruined some guy's monster TV. Guy was plenty sad as he threw away TV with shattered screen in trash barrel.
Aggieholic03
What happens if the game is televised on SEC+? Can you get streaming only games on Dish Tailgater?
htxag09
AG
FatZilla
AG
Aggieholic03 said:

What happens if the game is televised on SEC+? Can you get streaming only games on Dish Tailgater?

No, you need something with espn app at that point + internet.
Aggieholic03
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I have sec network and espn +, but I would worry about being able to stream the game. It's too much trouble to move my starlink from my house and I doubt a Hotspot would work well with all the congestion on the cell towers on game weekends.
htxag09
AG
Are you talking for tailgating? To me the SEC Network + deal is a non-issue....I mean you're talking maybe 1 or 2 nonconference SEC games a week. You really want Kent State @ Georgia that bad at your tailgate?

There is a chance A&M will have one game a year on SEC Network + / ESPN +. Again, that will probably be our bottom of the barrel nonconference game and doubt you'd have a huge crowd to watch the game at a tailgate anyway....
Aggieholic03
No. I'm planning on hosting a tailgate for my department at work for the UMASS game. If any A&M game is going to be on SEC + this year, it's that one.
htxag09
AG
True, and obviously if you're buying the tailgater for one game that makes it a bigger deal. I was talking tailgating for a year/in general.

But for that game, I'd assume the tailgate attendance won't be that great. Not talking yours, talking in general. So I'd assume you can stream the game without too much issue.

Does tailgater still have SEC Alternate and are SEC + games put on SEC Alternate? If not, you're going to run into the same issue with any setup, only option will be to stream.
FatZilla
AG
htxag09 said:

True, and obviously if you're buying the tailgater for one game that makes it a bigger deal. I was talking tailgating for a year/in general.

But for that game, I'd assume the tailgate attendance won't be that great. Not talking yours, talking in general. So I'd assume you can stream the game without too much issue.

Does tailgater still have SEC Alternate and are SEC + games put on SEC Alternate? If not, you're going to run into the same issue with any setup, only option will be to stream.

SEC Alt, yes. It doesn't have the + channels though. Dont think any satellite provider does.
htxag09
AG
I know it doesn't have the + channels, I said so in my post. I was asking if they broadcast SEC + streams on SEC Alternate. For example, I know that was the case for the Sam Houston game. It was on SEC + but I watched it on an SEC Alternate channel. But not sure if that was just because of a delay or it occurred other times as well. I know SEC Alternate channels used to carry quite a few games in past years.
86 Tex Ag
AG
Aggieholic03 said:

No. I'm planning on hosting a tailgate for my department at work for the UMASS game. If any A&M game is going to be on SEC + this year, it's that one.

I'm not following this. Won't you be inside Kyle Field while the game is playing? Who cares what package it is on.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.