Hack Update - Solarwinds Orion Compromised

6,359 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mickeyrig06sq3
aggielostinETX
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
kb2001 said:

MGS said:

kb2001 said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Solarwinds offices in Austin were raided yesterday by the FBI? I can't seem to find anything about it
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3166010

I've followed that thread. At this point I haven't found any source other than that one, and that one hasn't confirmed it either.

They are there but they were asked to be there.
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
heddleston
AG
So when it says they compromised Office 365, does that mean they used Orion to compromise the individual 365 servers for that organization or did they find a way to get into Microsoft and then back door their way into any 365 they wanted?
aggielostinETX
AG
Let me read some more

AggieKatie2 said:
Ulysses90
AG
This is really good and really detailed description of both FireEye hack and (because it was the vector for the FireEye hack) the Solarwinds hack. It starts at 1:38:20.

https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/episodes/797
flakrat
AG
When you can't even trust your monitoring solution company...
aggielostinETX
AG
MS compromised

AggieKatie2 said:
BQ2001
AG
Deats said:

MS compromised
Very curious to see what ends up happening here.
aggielostinETX
AG
Me too

AggieKatie2 said:
goodAg80
AG
There seems to be an information blackout. It's real hard to tell what is happening.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
From what I've been reading, the MS 365 compromises have been related to customers that were being actively engaged by the hackers. It wasn't that Microsoft was compromised and it allowed the hackers carte blanche into all of Office365's customers.

Quote:

"Like other SolarWinds customers, we have been actively looking for indicators of this actor and can confirm that we detected malicious Solar Winds binaries in our environment, which we isolated and removed. We have not found evidence of access to production services or customer data. Our investigations, which are ongoing, have found absolutely no indications that our systems were used to attack others."
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-was-also-breached-in-recent-solarwinds-supply-chain-hack-report/

aggielostinETX
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

From what I've been reading, the MS 365 compromises have been related to customers that were being actively engaged by the hackers. It wasn't that Microsoft was compromised and it allowed the hackers carte blanche into all of Office365's customers.

Quote:

"Like other SolarWinds customers, we have been actively looking for indicators of this actor and can confirm that we detected malicious Solar Winds binaries in our environment, which we isolated and removed. We have not found evidence of access to production services or customer data. Our investigations, which are ongoing, have found absolutely no indications that our systems were used to attack others."
https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-was-also-breached-in-recent-solarwinds-supply-chain-hack-report/

MS is being real quiet about the extent of their exposure.

AggieKatie2 said:
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Deats said:

MS is being real quiet about the extent of their exposure.

I can't fault anyone for being tight lipped about how compromised they were. If you figure out you were exposed, you have to audit your entire environment, and you will still probably miss something. Plus the current fear that the group has left some things behind that will activate many months down the road.
aggielostinETX
AG
Just start all over \_()_/

AggieKatie2 said:
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So should I just go ahead and change all my passwords for everything? Not that experienced with all the cyber security stuff.
aggielostinETX
AG
Not unless you want to

AggieKatie2 said:
Stat Monitor Repairman
What was the end result of this hack?

We a year later.

Whats the damage?

Where are we at with this?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

What was the end result of this hack?

We a year later.

Whats the damage?

Where are we at with this?
No real end-result per se. The problem with the hack was that the timeline from creation to detection was almost a year (March 2020 to December 2020). It only established a backdoor into the companies and government agencies. From there the hackers used it to move laterally and deploy additional software or scripts to further compromise systems.

Solarwinds fixed their vulnerability, but the compromised companies each had their own internal evaluations to do in order to determine exposure. Some weren't vulnerable (or were vulnerable, but security policies prevented it from calling home), some were vulnerable and compromised but decided to just rely on internal scans and monitoring to catch any footholds that were established. Final category was going scorched earthed and basically assuming everything was compromised, and building infrastructure from scratch.

This is a good write up, and any search of "sunburst solarwinds" will get you more results.
https://resources.infosecinstitute.com/topic/sunburst-backdoor-malware-what-it-is-how-it-works-and-how-to-prevent-it-malware-spotlight/
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.