Hack Update - Solarwinds Orion Compromised

6,341 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by mickeyrig06sq3
mickeyrig06sq3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My guess is it's probably the reason FireEye got compromised. They haven't explicitly stated it, but the timing ain't a coincidence. Based on the "highly sophisticated, manual supply chain attack", it sounds like they had someone inside slipping something extra into their patches.

Solarwinds Advisory
Quote:

SolarWinds has just been made aware our systems experienced a highly sophisticated, manual supply chain attack on SolarWinds Orion Platform software builds for versions 2019.4 HF 5 through 2020.2.1, released between March 2020 and June 2020. We have been advised this attack was likely conducted by an outside nation state and intended to be a narrow, extremely targeted, and manually executed attack, as opposed to a broad, system-wide attack.

CRN Article
Quote:

SolarWinds confirmed in a security advisory issued late Sunday that it experienced a manual supply chain attack on versions of Orion released between March and June of this year.

"The campaign demonstrates top-tier operational tradecraft and resourcing consistent with state-sponsored threat actors," Mandia said. "Our analysis indicates that these compromises are not self-propagating; each of the attacks require meticulous planning and manual interaction."
"This campaign may have begun as early as Spring 2020 and is currently ongoing," FireEye's threat researchers said. "The campaign is the work of a highly skilled actor and the operation was conducted with significant operational security."

The malware masquerades its network traffic and stores reconnaissance results within legitimate plugin configuration files, allowing it to blend in with legitimate SolarWinds activity, according to FireEye threat researchers. The backdoor uses multiple obfuscated blocklists to identify forensic and anti-virus tools running as processes, services, and drivers, they said.

FireEye Analysis

Quote:

• FireEye discovered a supply chain attack trojanizing SolarWinds Orion business software updates in order to distribute malware we call SUNBURST.
  • The attacker's post compromise activity leverages multiple techniques to evade detection and obscure their activity, but these efforts also offer some opportunities for detection.
  • The campaign is widespread, affecting public and private organizations around the world.
  • FireEye is releasing signatures to detect this threat actor and supply chain attack in the wild. These are found on our public GitHub page. FireEye products and services can help customers detect and block this attack.

FireEye has detected this activity at multiple entities worldwide. The victims have included government, consulting, technology, telecom and extractive entities in North America, Europe, Asia and the Middle East. We anticipate there are additional victims in other countries and verticals. FireEye has notified all entities we are aware of being affected.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Poor Zoom. Probably a crap ton of emergency calls ongoing right now.
Naveronski
AG
Big yikes.
aggielostinETX
AG
Fireeye confirmed last night it was from Solarwinds.
BQ2001
AG
Our company is scrambling too. Solarwinds servers have all be powered off for now. Luckily my team stopped managing them at the beginning of the year
aggielostinETX
AG
Rebuild before reconnecting
bkag9824
AG
I'll ask again... what's this mean for the average Joe?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
bkag9824 said:

Directly, nothing. Indirectly, it all depends on what the companies find. A truncated list of known partners is at this link.

We won't know the far reaching impact until all of those companies start doing audits. Step one is stopping the vulnerability, step 2 will be forensics to see if anything got exfiltrated/compromised. Also depends on the intent of the controller. With it being currently designated as nation-state, it's a big unknown. They could have had a specific target in mind (like FireEye), or they could just be seeing what they could get.
aggielostinETX
AG
bkag9824 said:

Unknown what the exposure is yet
BQ2001
AG
yep 100% what is happening, just waiting on new installs from SW. All virtual stuff so not too complicated for us.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
This doesn't make them look very good

Quote:

President & CEO of Solarwinds Corp (30-Year Financial, Insider Trades) Kevin B Thompson (insider trades) sold 166,129 shares of SWI on 11/19/2020 at an average price of $21.65 a share. The total sale was $3.6 million.

Hopefully just a coincidence.
aggielostinETX
AG
I think SW had known since summer. Fireeye forced their hand.
Lathspell
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

President & CEO of Solarwinds Corp (30-Year Financial, Insider Trades) Kevin B Thompson (insider trades) sold 166,129 shares of SWI on 11/19/2020 at an average price of $21.65 a share. The total sale was $3.6 million.

Yeah... isn't that what we call "illegal"?
TMoney2007
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

Selling a month before the peak isn't exactly suspicious. They usually schedule sell orders at least a quarter in advance.
Oh Four Five
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

Not only that, but he sold over half a million shares the day before and over 350k shares in Aug. Could be a coincidence but definitely looks suspicious.
A is A
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

If my security company is using zoom for emergency meetings, please let us know. Would not want them to be my security company anymore.
aggielostinETX
AG
nutmegger_aggie said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

If my security company is using zoom for emergency meetings, please let us know. Would not want them to be my security company anymore.

Why not?
IrishAg
Another good article on it

Pretty much, the threat actors cycles have probably run and they got everything they needed. But this was a extremely effective supply chain attack that probably allowed them to monitor email accounts for months. Will take a long time to understand the extent of the information that they got. But if they were in the treasury and commerce departments, it's a fair bet they're trying to do something bigger than just steal random data from companies. Probably looking to manipulate the value of currency or a particular commodity, or could be looking for leverage into the current and new administration. Scary stuff.
TMoney2007
AG
DL04 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

Not only that, but he sold over half a million shares the day before and over 350k shares in Aug. Could be a coincidence but definitely looks suspicious.
C level executives for publicly traded companies are generally required to file their trading plan well in advance like at least a quarter),... It's highly unlikely that there's anything going on here.

It's more likely that they were trying to take income before next year since it looked like Biden and lots of Democrats had a good chance of winning the election by the end of Q2.

If they were going to do something shady, they're not going to do it using shares in their own names,... Think about it.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
TMoney2007 said:

DL04 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

C level executives for publicly traded companies are generally required to file their trading plan well in advance like at least a quarter),... It's highly unlikely that there's anything going on here.

It's more likely that they were trying to take income before next year since it looked like Biden and lots of Democrats had a good chance of winning the election by the end of Q2.

If they were going to do something shady, they're not going to do it using shares in their own names,... Think about it.
Was reading the same a little later on. Thought about correcting my post, but the horse had already left the gate.
Kuz89
AG
DHS is recommending all devices managed by Solarwinds be rebuilt. DAMN! This would mean routers, core switches and firewalls...

• We should immediately change the password for all service accounts used by or stored in Solarwinds.
  • Our servers should remain down and should not be brought back online for upgrade as originally planned. These servers will need to be completely rebuilt and unfortunately it's not yet clear which version are safe. Solarwinds recommends upgrading to 2020.2.1 HF1 but DHS does not believe it's safe.
  • They're recommending that all devices managed by Solarwinds be rebuilt. Basically assume anything managed by Solarwinds has been compromised.
RockOn
Stock sales happen regularly from executives considering the likelihood of stock options, vesting regularly, and lock-up periods expiring etc. It's just a different way to doling out a bonus these days.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Kuz89 said:

DHS is recommending all devices managed by Solarwinds be rebuilt. DAMN! This would mean routers, core switches and firewalls...

• We should immediately change the password for all service accounts used by or stored in Solarwinds.
  • Our servers should remain down and should not be brought back online for upgrade as originally planned. These servers will need to be completely rebuilt and unfortunately it's not yet clear which version are safe. Solarwinds recommends upgrading to 2020.2.1 HF1 but DHS does not believe it's safe.
  • They're recommending that all devices managed by Solarwinds be rebuilt. Basically assume anything managed by Solarwinds has been compromised.

The rebuild is probably more related to endpoint servers. For infrastructure you're looking more at modifying various credential sets. Depends on the environment as well. The companies out there who were lax with internal security protocols are feeling the heat because of how this compromise is operating, and how long of a window this thing has had to operate.
tk for tu juan
Almost expected to see Dominion on the list of companies that use SolarWind software
DeWrecking Crew
tk for tu juan said:

Almost expected to see Dominion on the list of companies that use SolarWind software

You were saying....
Not a Bot
AG
More information. Attackers were able to bypass MFA.

https://www.volexity.com/blog/2020/12/14/dark-halo-leverages-solarwinds-compromise-to-breach-organizations/
TMoney2007
AG
mickeyrig06sq3 said:

TMoney2007 said:

DL04 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

mickeyrig06sq3 said:

Quote:

Was reading the same a little later on. Thought about correcting my post, but the horse had already left the gate.
I'm not saying that they didn't do ANYTHING shady, but it's not going to be something that people like you or me would read about in a public insider trading disclosure.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
There was a CISA public call yesterday. Their stance is that if you have the vulnerable version, just assume you've been compromised. Apparently they've seen some instances of the hacker cleaning up everything on the server except for the initial compromised DLL. Once they've been able to establish other footholds, they can abandon the Solarwinds server and go on to the other systems. Which is fun, because a company could have been compromised a month in May, and then the Solarwinds portion stopped. Companies that are just looking for the Solarwinds compromised traffic are already late in the game if they fall into that category.

Another item (I need to find the link) basically said that built into the exploit was a DNS check. If any of the C&C servers in its list changed to RFC1918, or IPs for security companies, it turned itself off for a certain period of time.
kb2001
AG
Is there any truth to the rumor that Solarwinds offices in Austin were raided yesterday by the FBI? I can't seem to find anything about it
MGS
kb2001 said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that Solarwinds offices in Austin were raided yesterday by the FBI? I can't seem to find anything about it
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3166010
TMoney2007
AG
kb2001 said:

In order to save you the tin foil hat required to go to the politics board... It was reported by gateway pundit based on a guy that called into hannity... so you can bet that it hasn't been vetted at all.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
kb2001 said:

My guess is someone saw guys in FBI and DHS jackets (and others) show up and they interpreted that as a raid. Any time you have a compromise of this magnitude, the larger companies work hand in hand with multiple agencies to vet out what the exploit was, how to stop it, and the extent of the impact. FireEye probably has the same thing going on. FireEye stock may be a good investment right now. They're probably going to be leading a lot of the investigations and working closely with the alphabet soup.
Average Joe
AG
bkag9824 said:

I don't use Orion, so doesn't mean crap for me.
Average Joe
AG
bkag9824 said:

In all seriousness, nothing at this moment. Only a couple of versions of a couple of enterprise apps are affected so far.

This could change as we find out if there are additional apps and what, if any, data was exfiltrated.
kb2001
AG
MGS said:

kb2001 said:

https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/3166010

I've followed that thread. At this point I haven't found any source other than that one, and that one hasn't confirmed it either.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.