Decent super cheap laptop?

1,043 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FatZilla
SJEAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My 9 YO will need to bring a laptop to school. I don't trust him with our good laptop and think it would be best I just buy something cheap that work for this purpose.

Any recommendations? Hoping to keep it as cheap as possible as it's probably destined to get lost or broken, like in the 300-500 range if possible.

It needs...

-Windows (not Windows 10S, or it needs to be confirmed that it'll convert) - read about problems converting on some budget laptops I researched
-Embedded mic and camera
-4GB RAM
-Decent battery life (6hrs)
-9.7in screen or larger

Any recommendations? Thanks
Bregxit
AG
I have purchased two of these for my kids for the same reason. They are great laptops and were very cheap when I bought them ($249 and $329 at the time). Looks like word is getting out about them (Linus Tech Tips did a great review on them) since they're up to $449 now. Anyway, solid laptops for basic needs. RAM is upgradable and there is a second M.2 storage slot if you need to add storage space later.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTILE-14-Performance-Laptop-FHD-AMD-Ryzen-3-Radeon-Vega-Graphics-THX-Spatial-Audio-Tuned-display-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-HDMI-Front-720P-HD-IR-Camera-Blac/575094633

atmhockey
AG
I was coming to post about the Motile 14 from Walmart as well. Bought one for kid to have a more robust connection for virtual school. It has been great so far. It even plays video games pretty well on Steam at mid-settings.

[ /FLUSH ]
Bregxit
AG
Looks like the silver one is still $399
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Refurbished from Office Depot?

Refurbished Thinkpads staring at $260

Lenovo Outlet Refurbished Thinkpads starting at just over $400, New laptops starting around $350

Lenovo Outlet
SJEAg
AG
Awesome, thanks guys
JSKolache
AG
walmart and/or target specials. Or check Amazon Warehouse deals
Wildmen03
AG
Whenever I have a family member ask me this question I always recommend a Lenovo off of eBay and swap your own SSd in. My go to for a while was a used T440, If you were lucky you could find them on eBay for $175-200. A new 500gb SSD and another stick of ram was about $75.. They are great sturdy laptops for under $300.
zooguy96
They had a Lenovo with 256 gig SSD and 8 gigs of Ram and an I3 processor with Windows 10 at Walmart for $299 a week or two ago. Had my mom pick up one.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
dubi
AG
zooguy96 said:

They had a Lenovo with 256 gig SSD and 8 gigs of Ram and an I3 processor with Windows 10 at Walmart for $299 a week or two ago. Had my mom pick up one.

Great deal!
Rossticus
I've had good luck on Craigslist picking up units from folks who turn theirs over for the latest and greatest every 12 months. Do your homework and give it a thorough run through but you'll get more there than you will from a big box.
FatZilla
AG
Bregxit said:

I have purchased two of these for my kids for the same reason. They are great laptops and were very cheap when I bought them ($249 and $329 at the time). Looks like word is getting out about them (Linus Tech Tips did a great review on them) since they're up to $449 now. Anyway, solid laptops for basic needs. RAM is upgradable and there is a second M.2 storage slot if you need to add storage space later.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOTILE-14-Performance-Laptop-FHD-AMD-Ryzen-3-Radeon-Vega-Graphics-THX-Spatial-Audio-Tuned-display-4GB-RAM-128GB-SSD-HDMI-Front-720P-HD-IR-Camera-Blac/575094633

Came here to post this exact video recommendation from Linus. He has done a few more on other cheap laptops too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.