Anyone else hardly use their home PC/Laptop anymore?

3,503 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BQ88
agracer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2016 Windows 10 Machine has become ridiculously slow. Used to start in about 30-seconds, now takes 3-4 minutes to boot from cold start. When I start it from sleep mode it actually runs pretty quick but it's windows so reboots are required periodically. Last night I make sure everything was backed up and did a reset of W10. It deleted all aps but kept my personal files. Got most of my software reinstalled all in less than a hour. It seems to be running better but through the last few months I'd been thinking of buying a new Mac in lieu of the W10 reset. Wanted a faster machine than I have now (don't recall the specs off the top of my head).

Then realized I hardly use the desktop any more. At least 75% of my home computer use is actually on a tablet and my wife as well. Answering emails, web browsing, shopping, maybe watching Netflix is done on an iPad or even our phones. The only thing I use the PC for anymore is photo and video editing but that is going to take a steep downward curve by next fall. Last kid is going off the college, and while I'll still use my camera, 75% of it was shooting my kids playing sports.

Thought about maybe getting an iPad pro so I can keep up with photo/video edit (understand the SSD size limits but I'm utilizing Aggienetwork gmail for back up storage and also have O365 subscription through work so I can use that as a 2nd storage location). Unfortunately, PS Elements doesn't exist on the iPad, only the PS Subscription model and I simply do not utilize the photo editing software enough to justify a subscription.

Other than work, does anyone else use a desktop or laptop at home anymore?
saw em off
Just depends on what your computing needs are. Tablets/phones were never really meant to replace computing, only to supplement. For me, I do a lot of filmmaking so obviously, I use my desktop a lot for editing. Also, some websites are just easier to maneuver on a DT/LT then a tablet.
WES2006AG
AG
I have come to the conclusion that I have most likely bought my last laptop/desktop computer. I use my ipad for just about everything and if I absolutely need a Windows machine which is extremely rare I have a work laptop.

I also have an iMac that I probably just need to get rid of because I can't even remember the last time I turned it on.
aggiebq03+
Use my desktop I built almost exclusively for games and nothing else. Still use our iMac for photo editing and most daily use stuff. Although my TexAgs use is all iPhone.
The Dog Lord
AG
Used a Surface 3 (not pro) for a few years but recently updated to a Surface Laptop because I wanted and needed a more traditional laptop. I also have a PC that I prefer to use (but I have to feel like being in my office rather than on the couch). My phone is mostly for informal stuff (like writing this comment) and the occasional brief/easy work email.
Proposition Joe
Really tired of forced updates that force hardware obsoletion. What I do with my system now isn't much different than what I did when I bought it 3-4 years ago, but the OS and software continues to become more and more bloated pushing people to buy new hardware that the really shouldn't need.
EMY92
AG
I have several tablets, I hate each one.

I am happy to use my laptop.
Burdizzo
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Really tired of forced updates that force hardware obsoletion. What I do with my system now isn't much different than what I did when I bought it 3-4 years ago, but the OS and software continues to become more and more bloated pushing people to buy new hardware that the really shouldn't need.

My big complaint is subscription based licensing for software.
aggiebq03+
Burdizzo said:

Proposition Joe said:

But it's just $10/month...

For the rest of your life.
aggieforester05
AG
I have two laptops and a desktop. Love them all! Phones and tablets are great for reading, but typing sucks donkey balls on a phone or tablet. I also have zero interest in mobile gaming. I like racing and flight sim which both require powerful computers. Alienware laptop is my go to business computer, architectural 3D design, and portable gaming/VR rig. Desktop is a more powerful gaming rig used for VR flight sim and racing sim, 21 TB of media storage, and a plex server. 13" 2015 Macbook pro is my chilling in the living room or bedroom and surfing the web computer because I like the form factor and my alienware is ridiculously heavy and unwieldy. My tablets sit idle, but I do a lot of Texagsing on my cell phone.
Burdizzo
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Burdizzo said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, $10/ month for an Office suite, $10/month for personal finance, $10/month for something else...

That stuff starts to add up after a while
aTm2004
AG
Probably 95% of the stuff I do is on my iPad. One of my Computer Engineering buddies from A&M built my wife a pretty awesome desktop for her to edit her photos on, so I use that from time-to-time. She does a lot from the desktop around that business (editing, communication, etc).
YouBet
AG
I use my desktop when working from home, gaming when I decide to play certain games on PC vs my Xbox, and doing finances.

Other than that, all other time is on an iPad.
aggiebq03+
I'll also say my phone and iPad don't have a 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440p 120hz display. And my desktop does. So for gaming there is no comparison.
aggieforester05
AG
My phone also won't power an oculus rift or triple monitors and a TV at the same time. Multitasking is a joke on mobile.
fta09
AG
I only use my phone for browsing social media or TexAgs. I'm tech savvy, but I can still do things on a desktop much faster than a phone. I also have a dual wide screen setup, so I use it for gaming, watching TV, or whatever, with email, browser, discord, etc on the other monitor.

Plus these Corsair mechanical keyboards are addicting. I'm an engineer, so not a writer by any stretch of the imagination, but having one of these makes me want to sit and just type stuff our forever.
bigtruckguy3500
I like a real keyboard and mouse way too much to give up having them. I also like the ability to customize my screen, where I want my keyboard, and mouse.
JSKolache
AG
99% tablet. Use the laptop for saving photos, but thats about it. Havent had a desktop since 2002.
AtlAg05
AG
SaaS is the future!!
dude95
AG
Burdizzo said:

aggiebq03+ said:

Burdizzo said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yeah, $10/ month for an Office suite, $10/month for personal finance, $10/month for something else...

That stuff starts to add up after a while
o365 allows for 5 downloads per subscription. I get mine from work and have 3 desktops and a laptop with them on. Kids get 5 downloads apiece (I've got 3 kids, too - thinking of getting rid of two of them, though).
Whoop Delecto
AG
LOYAL AG
AG
This is why I bought and love my Surface Pro 6. It's a nice tablet when that's the tool I need but with the dock it's a fantastic desktop machine. I'm fairly mobile so having the keypad and arc mouse means I've really got the bets of all worlds. Not cheap but everything I wanted it to be.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Software development, so I'm still on a laptop for a while.
The Fife
Relevant thread since the laptop I used the most (i7) had the motherboard crap out yesterday. I'm back to the HP laptop with an i5, and even with a new Windows 7 install plus a SSD it really sucks at rendering pretty much anything that isn't a simple page. Texags is dog slow.

I'm probably going to build a desktop since the battery for the dead laptop wasn't any good and I used it at my office desk all the time anyway. My phone is nowhere near replacing anything else due to the limitations already mentioned.
76Ag
AG
We purchased a laptop some years ago but found that we prefer desktops. I do use my iPad some away from home but I much prefer my gaming PC that I built myself. I have two monitors and I like it that way. The iPhone is too damned small for my old eyes and the iPad has no keyboard. I have a Bluetooth keyboard for it but since I use it without a desk it's too hard to use. I might add that I really don't type.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am in the same situation as some of you. I don't really use a laptop or desktop at home anymore. All I really want is something to keep my photos, itunes and music. Is there a tablet out there that could handle this? I have a work laptop and my wife has a desktop and surface pro if I need a real computer. I have never linked my phone to the cloud. Would doing that alleviate my need for anything additional? I have about 35-40 gigs of music and photos. Obviously that figure grows daily. Any good advice? Hoping for a black Friday deal, but gotta figure out what I want first.
Jasomania
AG
agracer said:

Thought about maybe getting an iPad pro so I can keep up with photo/video edit (understand the SSD size limits but I'm utilizing Aggienetwork gmail for back up storage and also have O365 subscription through work so I can use that as a 2nd storage location). Unfortunately, PS Elements doesn't exist on the iPad, only the PS Subscription model and I simply do not utilize the photo editing software enough to justify a subscription.
If you already have an iPad I don't think that you'll find the iPad Pro as the mythical 2 in 1 that actually works great as both a tablet and laptop. Its more or less going to operate exactly like every other iPad you have had in the past.

If you really want something for Photoshop i think you'll be disappointed and frustrated in trying to get Photoshop to work on an iPad vs a computer or mac. The Photoshop iPad app has been getting abysmal reviews and is hovering around 2 out of 5 stars with articles out about it titled "Photoshop for iPad is a Disaster".

I'm in a simulator boat where I'd like one device to do everything but haven't found something that can really do both well so i have an iPad Pro for 85% of what do and a HP Laptop for the 15% of "real work" that I need a keyboard and mouse for (yes you can plug a mouse and keyboard into an iPad but I also mean things that need multiple windows and apps open and working at the same time, and an actual document file structure that i can use and organize as well).
eric76
AG
I periodically replace the entire OS on my computers.

I put a new solid state drive on my main computer and installed SuSE Linux again and that computer is faster than ever now.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Only for photoshop and Microsoft products.. Word PPT or Excel work.. If I can do all those on my phone connected to a dual monitor, I would no longer use a PC or Laptop
YouBet
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I am in the same situation as some of you. I don't really use a laptop or desktop at home anymore. All I really want is something to keep my photos, itunes and music. Is there a tablet out there that could handle this? I have a work laptop and my wife has a desktop and surface pro if I need a real computer. I have never linked my phone to the cloud. Would doing that alleviate my need for anything additional? I have about 35-40 gigs of music and photos. Obviously that figure grows daily. Any good advice? Hoping for a black Friday deal, but gotta figure out what I want first.

Yes, it's called an iPad.

I have 1 TB of storage with my O365 subscription that came with it so you can cloud store everything you have in OneDrive. There are other options for storage besides this. At one point in time, I believe you got 1 TB of storage with your A&M alumni email address through the association.
Aggiejue
AG
Can you provide details on your iMac if you are thinking about unloading it? Email in profile.
Aggiejue
Hagen95
AG
My tablets cannot run Civil 3D, so I'll be sticking with my desktop for a while now. I've been fighting Autodesk off for years on their subscription based software, still paying for the individual license.

My 11 year old just discovered PC gaming and uses my wife's laptop more than she does now.
BQ88
AG
I have an iPad Pro and the new 16 in MacBook Pro.

If I'm going to do any typing at all...its the MacBook. The iPad, for me, is great for reading news, reddit, etc.

I'm truly surprised at the vast difference in the App Store between these two products. Much more variety with apps for the iPad.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.