AirPods Pro Announced

5,867 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by WES2006AG
Pman17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No October event so it looks like we're getting product updates via press release.
Comes out Wednesday!

$250

-Noise Cancelling
-Transparency Mode
-Adaptive EQ
-IPX4 Rating
-Same Battery Life
-3 Different Sized Silicone Tips to fit any ear.
-Wireless Charging Case
-Lightning to USB-C Cable Included

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/28/apple-airpods-pro-october-30/

Vernada
AG
TAKE MY $$$
chipotle
And still not in black. Yes, I love having a q-tip look.
Furlock Bones
AG
Pman17 said:

No October event so it looks like we're getting product updates via press release.
Comes out Wednesday!

-Noise Cancelling
-Transparency Mode
-Adaptive EQ
-IPX4 Rating
-Same Battery Life
-3 Different Sized Silicone Tips to fit any ear.
-Wireless Charging Case
-Lightning to USB-C Cable Included

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/28/apple-airpods-pro-october-30/
lightning should already be dead by now.
Pman17
AG
This could be a sign of transition to USB-C, at least for Pro products. The 2020 Pro iPhones could get USB-C.

As of right now, the impression of Pro products appeal to the hardcore Apple users. Those users want the best of the best and are early adopters. The impression for non-Pro products are for your average joe Apple user. They trust Apple and want something that just works at a low price. Those folks are still rocking the USB-2.0. They buy the iPhone 11, the Air Pods and the iPad or iPad Air. Chances are those folks don't own a USB-C MacBook Pro or Air. They would probably be upset if Apple forced USB-C on them all of a sudden.
HossAg
AG
Ordered within 30 minutes of the announcement. My poor gen 1s are almost 3 years old.
HossAg
AG
chipotle said:

And still not in black. Yes, I love having a q-tip look.
I was definitely disappointed by that as well. At this point, I don't think Apple is gonna make them in black. They get too much free advertisement and brand recognition from the white ones.

I am happy that they shortened the stem, though. I think they'll look a lot less ******y than the previous version.
Wildmen03
AG
I've never owned a pair of headphones with silicon tips that I liked. I love my current airpods so these would have to be some kind of wonderful for me to upgrade.
wealeat09
AG
Wildmen03 said:

I've never owned a pair of headphones with silicon tips that I liked. I love my current airpods so these would have to be some kind of wonderful for me to upgrade.

Same. I'd love for noise cancelling though in a truly wireless earbud and if anyone is going to make one I like it will be Apple.
Tomdoss92
AG
$250 for ear buds. wow. and i used to make fun of beats people. spend it if you got it i guess.
wealeat09
AG
That's a standard price for high quality noise cancelling headphones.

People don't understand the "magic" of AirPods until you use them, so I don't blame you for being skeptical.
Stat Monitor Repairman
What happened with that dude on here that ordered the Airpod clones a few months back?
AgsWin2011
AG
I'll stick to my $50-60 JLAB Jbuds.

Edit to mention they're on sale for $30 at Best Buy as part of their early Black Friday deals.
wealeat09
AG
Blue star for you.
YouBet
AG
I like my Plantronic wrap arounds. Buds don't fit my ears, unfortunately.
Pman17
AG
Posted a video from MKBHD on details.
Now I wan't one seeing him play around with it.
I'll probably get them when my AirPods die.
diehard03
Quote:

I was definitely disappointed by that as well. At this point, I don't think Apple is gonna make them in black. They get too much free advertisement and brand recognition from the white ones.

This. One should not expect them to do this when their advertising is often black silhouettes with white headphones. (yes, old campaign, but still relevant)
Canyon99
Had some cash sitting in PayPal so went ahead and ordered as I gave my old AirPods to my daughter last year.
easttexasaggie04
AG
My current AirPods fit so well in my ear. I'm not sure if these will. The JayBirds with similar rubber ear pieces fall right out so I'm skeptical. I guess there's no way to know until you try them on (after buying).
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I'm glad they have a transparency mode. I wear mine at work a lot and like that I can still hear what's going on around me. But the noise cancellation will be great on the air plane.

Hopefully these will stay in my ear when running. My current ones fall out pretty easily.
nai06
AG
Wildmen03 said:

exact opposite for me. I hate the airpods and similar styled earbuds. They always fall out or arent comfortable
LOYAL AG
AG
wealeat09 said:

People don't understand the "magic" of AirPods until you use them, so I don't blame you for being skeptical.
As a non-Apple fan this is true. AirPods are the best thing they've made. I've also really come to like CarPlay. I'm sure if I go back to Android at some point I'll have a similar affinity for Android Auto but if I made that change I don't know what I'd do for ear buds. I'm on my second iPhone and AirPods are what may ultimately keep me as an iPhone guy. They're fantastic.
HossAg
AG
Mine will be here today. I'll give a quick review and compare them to AirPods gen 1 when I get home.
Joe Exotic
AG
Not buying these until there's a way to tie the serial numbers to your account and they notify you if someone else uses them.
Charpie
AG
Ordered mine
redd38
AG
LOYAL AG said:

wealeat09 said:

As a non-Apple fan this is true. AirPods are the best thing they've made. I've also really come to like CarPlay. I'm sure if I go back to Android at some point I'll have a similar affinity for Android Auto but if I made that change I don't know what I'd do for ear buds. I'm on my second iPhone and AirPods are what may ultimately keep me as an iPhone guy. They're fantastic.

You don't have to have an iPhone to use AirPods
LOYAL AG
AG
redd38 said:

LOYAL AG said:

wealeat09 said:

You don't have to have an iPhone to use AirPods
True but my understanding is that they aren't as functional when not used with an iPhone. I have Gen 2 AirPods and love the "Hey Siri", the double tap, etc and I think I've read that those things aren't available when used with Android. If you can do "Hey Google" or whatever their wake word is using AirPods then I'm just not aware of that.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Awaiting your review!
HossAg
AG
Wanted to use them for a few days at work to get some solid opinions on them.

First, and this isn't super important, but these look way better in ear than the old ones. The short stem is much better.

The silicon tips took some getting used to, and I honestly didn't like them at first. After a few days of use at work, though, I've realized that they are muuuch better for extended use comfort. I'm getting like 4.5 hours on a charge right now, and my ears never start hurting. You actually feel them less the longer you wear them.

The transparency mode is crazy. It sounds a little artificial when you talk, but the sounds coming in from the environment sound surprisingly natural. You can hear better than you could with the old airpods in.

The ANC is better than I expected. You turn it on, and any constant noise in the room is just gone. It can be a pretty loud fan or AC system and it'll still completely eliminate it. I can't hear anyone talking unless they're very loud or close to me. It's perfect for an office environment. Not sure how it hold up on a flight or crowded area.

The sound quality is almost identical to the originals imo, but the noise canceling and small boost in bass from using silicon types makes them a slight improvement.

Overall, whether they're worth $250 or not is definitely debatable, but if you like the original AirPods, these are a notable upgrade. It was worth it for me, personally.
Matsui
Pman17
AG
Pman17 said:

Posted a video from MKBHD on details.
Now I wan't one seeing him play around with it.
I'll probably get them when my AirPods die.
I was near the Apple Store Sunday. I was like, screw it and I bought them.
The key feature is the Noise Cancelling. They block out background noise such as home appliances. I brought them on my boat, I work on a tug boat, and they cancel out the diesel engine noise in the living quarters. Wow, I've never heard it so quiet at work besides having the whole boat blacked out or my ear muffs on. I then tried them in the engine room. With the short stems, I can now have them under my ear muffs. With noise cancelling on in the engine room with ear muffs, it's a lot quieter. All I can hear is high pitch noises like the turbo chargers. I will have to be careful to listen to alarms go off. I have no doubt they will work on an airplane.

Sound quality is as good as the other AirPods but it actually has bass this time. Don't expect amazing sound but they're good enough.

I haven't pushed the battery to the limit yet.

I kinda miss the old controls for the original AirPods. On these you have to grab a stem and push to play/pause. Holding a stem will toggle noise cancelling.
I've notice the auto noise cancelling working. When I transition from outside into the boat, transparency mode kicks on. I'm guessing it listens for an ambient noise change and then automatically flips to transparency mode so you can hear your surroundings.
HossAg
AG
I also miss the tapping for controls. I think the clicking is more consistent, but the tapping was more convenient. I feel like the hardware is there to allow it.
Madmarttigan
AG
There has never been a silicon tip that has been comfortable for me. No matter the size they just hurt and are uncomfortable having something pressed into your ear. I have always loved apples headphone design for comfort.

Won't be buying any new airpods if they keep going that direction.
HossAg
AG
Normal airpods will remain the same. The silicon tips are necessary for noise cancellation in the pros. And FWIW, I typically don't like the in ears either, and I find these more comfortable than the original airpods after adjusting to them.
wealeat09
AG
tv1113 said:

There has never been a silicon tip that has been comfortable for me. No matter the size they just hurt and are uncomfortable having something pressed into your ear. I have always loved apples headphone design for comfort.

Won't be buying any new airpods if they keep going that direction.

They haven't gotten rid of the old version. Chill.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.