Best gaming console for 7 and 9 year old boys?

1,412 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Brian Earl Spilner
Quito
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have an XBox 360 that is about 10 years old. I've barely ever played it and only into sports games.

We have pretty strict guidelines for our kids and gaming, but do reward them with time on XBox from time to time.

Thinking of getting a new console fir them for Christmas. They love Madden, MLB and NBA games. They also like race car games.

Texags always knows what's best, so I'm asking for advice on what to get for Christmas.
saltydog13
AG
Whichever one their friends play on the most.
AustinAg2K
I have a Switch and PS4. For my kids, the Switch is the easy answer. They love Nintendo franchises. They love Super Smash Brothers, anything Mario, Pokemon, Kirby, etc. They never touch anything on the PS4. That said, they don't really like sports games. From what I've see the sports games on the switch aren't great.
Ag12thman
AG
My 11 year old loves his Switch. Not sure at what point they outgrow a Switch, though, as I have not paid close attention to the sorts of games that are available for it. Agree with above about Mario. He loves all those games still.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
N64. That's what I was playing at that age anyway.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
But really it's hard to go wrong with the Switch. Nintendo targets that age group way more than Playstation and Xbox.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Echo the other responses and say the Switch.

They can even take it to play on long car trips.
redeyeone
AG
I have a ps4 and switch. I rarely play the switch since my 7 year old took to it. He plays all the popular games with friends: fortnite, super smash bro's, Mario kart etc. I had fortnite on my ps4 briefly before I owned a switch - the amount of profanity and horrible things said by online idiots was astounding. I have not noticed it nearly as much on the switch. of course he doesn't get to team chat unless he is on with his friends. I just meant in general when I have played.
Pman17
AG
Get an Xbox One S. Plays all sports games and plays some 360 games that you may already have. Xbox has the Forza games which are fun racing games.

Now Xbox can get a little expensive as it has many services like Live, EA Access, and GamePass. I would recommend looking into GamePass Ultimate, one account can have it and it includes Xbox Live and GamePass for $15/mo. Has over 100 games to download for free. It even includes Forza Horizon 4.

Keep in mind, a new Xbox is coming next Holiday.

The Switch is good for that age group but it doesn't play Madden games. Only NBA 2K games and those barely run and require a big SD card.
Quito
AG
This is more in line with what I'm thinking.

Should I wait a year for the next generation?

What's EA Access and Gamepass?

Is this a way to access games without buying them?
Pman17
AG
Quito said:

This is more in line with what I'm thinking.

Should I wait a year for the next generation?

What's EA Access and Gamepass?

Is this a way to access games without buying them?

1. You don't have to wait. The next generation will be more of a spec boost. Games that come out on the next console will work on the Xbox One X and S. The S will show its age on the latest games though so it's up to you wether or not getting the S or the X. If you want the console to last longer then get the X.

2. EA Access is a subscription. $35/year and you can get access to the EA Vault. So EA games that have been out over 6 months get placed in the Vault for members to download for free. As long as you're subscribed, you can play the games. It's a good deal for those that don't want to buy EA sports games every year. For example, Madden 19 is in the vault. Madden 20 will show up in the Spring.
GamePass is a Netflix for games. You subscribe and you get a selection of games to download and play for free just like EA Access. Microsoft has been releasing their 1st party games at launch on the service. Some games do get removed like Netflix. The game Library updates every month. Minecraft is included.
GamePass Ultimate is GamePass bundled with Xbox Live.

3. Yes, they are ways of accessing games without buying them like a streaming service. They also provide membership discounts in case you do want to buy those games. These services are optional.

Bryan98
AG
Just saw this thread. Did you buy anything yet? My man Pman has given some good info. Personally, I would get a Switch now and then, a year or two from now, either a PS5 or Xbox Whatever depending upon what exclusives they want to play or, as others have said, what their friends own.

I own all the consoles and my kids wouldn't need an Xbox nor PS4, because everything they play on Xbox is also on Switch.

Switch has the great Nintendo games you can't get elsewhere. Just get a real Switch, not the new portable one.
Pman17
AG
Black Friday Deals for Xbox One Consoles
https://www.theverge.com/good-deals/2019/11/14/20964683/black-friday-microsoft-deals-cyber-monday-games-xbox-one-consoles-bundles-controllers

Black Friday Deal for Nintendo Switch
https://happyholidays.nintendo.com/deals/
Post removed:
by user
spanky
AG
Switch (Nintendo titles and mobile friendly gaming device), XBox (Minecraft and Roblox), and PC/Mac (Roblox). This is what my 11 and 12 year olds use...were we only supposed to pick one? They also need smartphones.

And good luck setting up the child accounts/xbox live. I have never felt so old and just ended up making their accounts adult accounts. I know, parent of the year.
V8Aggie
AG
whichever has a web browser you won't be checking.
Dad
AG
I like the idea of having a switch and either xboxone or PS4.

I have all three and I probably spend the least time on the Ps4. My kids like the switch and PS4. I play the Xbox the most but that is mostly because it is in my man cave.
The Collective
AG
We have a Switch (8 & 6). Most games are appropriate for their age which is nice.
Max Power
AG
Mainly depends on what you think they'll play. I would say at that age Switch is probably the best call. My nephew has one and likes it, he's in that age range. I'm tempted to buy one just to play Legend of Zelda.

I have a PS4 which I prefer because of the proprietary games they have specifically for single player gaming (Uncharted, Spiderman, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, The Last of Us), I don't play online. I think Xbox might be better if you do a lot of online gaming, those I know that do that are primarily Xbox users.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ag12thman said:

My 11 year old loves his Switch. Not sure at what point they outgrow a Switch, though, as I have not paid close attention to the sorts of games that are available for it. Agree with above about Mario. He loves all those games still.
I'm 31 and I love my Switch.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.