The Last of Us: Part II

17,816 Views | 200 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Head Ninja In Charge
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tommy is my favorite character. That is all.
AggieChemE09
AG
That is my prediction, and hope, as well
Fenrir
I just finished Seattle Day 1. I don't recall having a sense of dread throughout the first game like I do this one, there were points where you felt somewhat safe. I'm always expecting something to attack me in this one. It makes it hard to play more than a couple of hours at a time.
jokershady
AG
Whelp.....made it through the aquarium and am now just starting playing as Abby.

Everything sucks right now. Abby's back story makes you sympathize us as much if not more than what Joel went through in the first game. In addition, you see just how upset and torn up Marlene was regarding the news of Ellie's required death for the procedure because she never knew......she had to accept it just in the same way Joel should have accepted it.

I worry I can see where this is going but still pressing forward with an open mind. I've avoided all spoilers so hopefully by the end of this weekend I'll be at the end of it.

This sucks.
Chase McGuire
I finished it at 27 hours and 16 minutes on Moderate.

Thoughts:

Gameplay-wise, this is everything you could want in a sequel. The combat is tense, the environments are jaw-dropping, and the acting is the best I've seen in a video game.

I think the story is pitch-perfect for the first 3/4 and falls off a little toward the end. The Abby/Ellie storyline should have ended in Seattle, as much as I loved the scenes at the farm. The Santa Barbara section just didn't do it for me. It felt like Read Dead 2, which just refused to end, but not quite as bad as that.

That said, the final scenes of the dance and Ellie and Joel's last conversation in Jackson were phenomenal, and I get what they were trying to do. Parts of it worked, for sure.

I'm also not sure I loved the overall WLF/Scar storyline. I liked Lev and Yara and them getting caught in the middle of it all, but I feel like the Isaac/Seraphite stuff could have been more fleshed out.

Back to random things I loved: Holy **** the infected section in the skyscraper leading all the way up to the giant infected boss fight in the hospital was incredible. Straight out of the Resident Evil playbook, and I loved every second. The infected were an absolute highlight through this one.

Also, the entire crew from Jackson is great. Tommy, Jesse, Dina - wonderful characters. And I even grew to really like Manny, Owen and Mel after a few hours with them.

The flashback scenes do a ton for this game and may be the best part of it.

The switch to Abby mid-way through was brilliant, and I totally didn't see it coming. Gave me strong vibes from the winter section of the first game.

Being able to open the safes just by listening to the click of the dial is such a cool touch.

I think this game is wonderful. It's ambitious and makes a couple missteps along the way, but those don't invalidate the rest of what is there. It kept me hooked for damn near 30 hours and has me wanting to jump straight back into NG+ on Survivor. As a whole, I think it's a masterpiece and worthy sequel to the original.
Chase McGuire
I'm playing on Survivor+ for a second playthrough, and damn it's hard. Reminds me of Grounded mode in the first game. Every time I get through an encounter, I feel like I've run a mile.
bluefire579
AG
So apparently the voice actress who played Abby is getting death threats because of people not liking the game. What the **** is wrong with people?

Chase McGuire
Finished my Survivor+ run at 23.5 hours and got the Platinum. It's not nearly as hard as Grounded in the original, but I still think it's the best way to play. Really makes the enemies threatening and forces you to carefully consider every shot and item you use.

Time to let this game rest for a while, but it's easily in my top 5 all-time like the first one.
jokershady
AG
Think I'm close to finishing...I'm at the part where, Abby is going back to help the two young Scars after meeting up with Owen at the aquarium and doing the no pants dance.

How close to the end am I? Debating if I should just marathon it tonight after the kids go to bed.
bluefire579
AG
jokershady said:

Think I'm close to finishing...I'm at the part where, Abby is going back to help the two young Scars after meeting up with Owen at the aquarium and doing the no pants dance.

How close to the end am I? Debating if I should just marathon it tonight after the kids go to bed.
You still have a good ways to go. Not something that can be done in 2-3 hours.
BallerStaf2003
AG
jokershady said:

Long ways to go!!
jokershady
AG
Holy hell....I didn't realize how much I'd been taking my time exploring
AggieChemE09
AG
https://www.gamesradar.com/the-last-of-us-2-players-spot-tiny-detail-that-presents-massive-implications-for-the-ending/
jokershady
AG
So I'm not done with the game yet but my wife has already read what happens in the end....showed her your link and when she clicked on it: page not found

They delete it?
bluefire579
AG
Looks like they did. Here's the gist of it (it's the very end of the game for anyone curious):

When Ellie returns to the farm after her fight with Ellie, she is not carrying any weapons and (is or isn't, I forget) wearing a bracelet. There's a letter as well mentioning that they're always welcome at Jesse's parents' in Jackson, and the implication is that it's a happier ending than implied. The theory is that she and Dina moved back to Jackson, and that her leaving the guitar is her way of showing she is past Joel

My personal thoughts:
It's a nice sentiment, but I think the way she and Dina part tells the entire story. I think the missing weapons is more of a symbol of how she came to the realization that she was perpetuating a cycle of revenge, the same realization that caused her to let Abby go, and that when she left Santa Barbara, she left the weapons. I don't think they're ready to give a happy ending, not yet, maybe not ever. Of course, I may just be cynical, but I do think it's a stretch

Edit: Here's a different article about it (spoilers, of course)
BallerStaf2003
AG
I believe it's a stretch also
Chase McGuire
It's a stretch, and I think it would undermine the intended ending.
jokershady
AG
Just over 30 hours in and still not done....didn't realize how meticulously slow I was going compared to the rest of you.

I believe I am starting to get close though....think I just started day 3 for Abby and left with the scar girl to go after Lev who went to get his mom

This is what happens when you have 3 kids and have to get up early for work.....
sjn
AG
I had a week away from work. Otherwise, no way I would have finished so quickly.

I think I was at 30+ hours also.
Tabasco
AG
Just finished. I am a scavenger, so I clocked in at 32h, 38m.
Tabasco
AG
Has it been confirmed that there will be a Last Of US 3?
Chase McGuire
No. I doubt they know if they're going to make TLOU3 or not yet.
Fenrir
I would be shocked if they don't have a pretty strong idea about whether or not they want to tackle another sequel.

I think it's far more likely than not that we get a sequel at this point.
Chase McGuire
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.playstationlifestyle.net/2020/06/28/druckmann-on-last-of-us-3/amp/

Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think it's a sure thing by any stretch. I think there's a high likelihood we get a new IP from Naughty Dog before another TLOU.
Fenrir
Sure. They are pretty much done with uncharted (though another studio may pick it up) and a new IP is very likely. They have not made it clear that TLOU was reaching a conclusion like they did uncharted so I really don't see a good reason to think they're done with it. It has sold plenty well to justify more and they don't seem done with the IP considering they are making an hbo show as well.

Obviously plenty can change over the next few years but at this point they have to have at least an idea if they're interested.
Tabasco
AG
Fenrir said:

Sure. They are pretty much done with uncharted (though another studio may pick it up) and a new IP is very likely. They have not made it clear that TLOU was reaching a conclusion like they did uncharted so I really don't see a good reason to think they're done with it. It has sold plenty well to justify more and they don't seem done with the IP considering they are making an hbo show as well.

Obviously plenty can change over the next few years but at this point they have to have at least an idea if they're interested.
What is IP, intellectual property?
Chase McGuire
Yessir, basically a new franchise
Chase McGuire
Oh, I agree. I'm sure Sony is super interested based on the success of the first two games. I guess I'm just thinking about how Druckmann and Naughty Dog feel. I don't think they'll make another if they don't think they have a story that will live up to the first two. If they do, they'll make it in a heartbeat (with a couple delays). Whatever they end up doing, though, I'm sure it'll be stellar.
sjn
AG
I think they'll work to develop a new franchise over the next couple years. But, yeah, I certainly hope for TLOU3 at some point. Could be 5+ years from now.
They took from 2013 to 2020 this last time around.
atmhockey
AG
based on ND's schedule TLOU3 should come out the last year of the PS5 and right before the PS6.
bluefire579
AG
As I recall, they were a little wishy washy about doing a TLOU2 right after the first one. I'm sure that like this one, they'll want to take their time and make sure it's a game worth making, which I'm all for. Of course, all those fantastic animations can't be done quickly either, so regardless, it'll be a while.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Finished a few days ago, but still thinking about it. I plan to start a run through on Survivor this weekend. Very worthy sequel, and ND's bold story choices make sense and made for a completely unexpected and memorable experience. I was lucky enough to avoid MOST spoilers.

The amount of detail and care that was taken in this game is nothing short of mind-blowing. I kept trying different things just to see if the game would respond, and more often than not it would, such as footprints lasting a LONG time in the snow, or Ellie falling off a ledge differently depending on her orientation, or having to reload a gun when the bullet was ejected on a workbench. Really, there's no denying it is a BEAUTIFUL game, despite what internet trolls say about the story.

n_touch
How do we do the spoiler tag?
fav13andac1)c
AG
Does this work?

['sp]TEXT['/sp]

sans the apostrophes
n_touch
I am in the boat that she went back to Jackson and is back with Dina. They made it a point to pan to her boots. I remember somewhere in the game that her shoes vs boots were brought back up.

All in all, I enjoyed the story and it made sense for me. Not sure what all the outrage was about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.