Total Solar Eclipse time again!

28,316 Views | 248 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by zag213004
Guppy91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The umbral shadow of the Moon first tracks across the South Pacific and the onto only a small bit of land over Chile and Argentina. I'm in San Juan, Argentina with the UK AstroTrails tour group. About 400 of us are bussing 2 hrs NW to a viewing site on an alpaca "farm" tomorrow morning.

It is the greatest natural show on planet Earth. Encouraging everyone to get to one in your lifetime. Roommate has been to 14 and never misses. That's a bunch of miles.

From the outside you can't understand it, from the inside you can't explain it. Life changing stuff. Hope to see some Aggies at one someday. A couple of Auburn folks are here and wearing their SEC champs garbs everyday... it's disgusting (get an eclipse shirt for cryin out loud).

Bring on the shadow of the moon!
Mucho austin
AG
I'm looking forward to the 2024 eclipse. It goes directly over my parents ranch outside of kerrville.

Should we plan a big Texags party?
wessimo
AG
A couple good friends of mine are in Villa de Merlo. Hope you get clear skies for the show!

Fun fact, the paths of the 2023 annular solar eclipse and 2024 total solar eclipse intersect near Vanderpool, Texas. My family has property in Utopia so I'm hoping to be able to catch both of them.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Mucho austin said:

I'm looking forward to the 2024 eclipse. It goes directly over my parents ranch outside of kerrville.

Yes. Yes we should.
labmansid
Okay, where are the pictures/video?
hph6203
AG
You forgot about childbirth.
Guppy91
AG
Perfect clear skies and an absolutely gorgeous show! Pics soon... would like to get home first so I can get the bulk off my cameras and assess the results from a large screen. To get an idea of our viewing site check the pic of Bella Vista in this article: Great pics TSE2019 Business Insider
Guppy91
AG
hph6203 said:

You forgot about childbirth.
Interesting psychology info in this article: What Solar Eclipses Teach Us About Being Human

"It usually is one of the most profound experiences of people's lives. I've heard grown men say that it was more important than the birth of their child. It's very, very powerful. If you love to travel and you're one of these people who experience things like that, and you've got little passions and hobbies in your life already, then you're probably primed when you see the first total solar eclipse. It might change your life, too.
91_Aggie
AG
We drove up to missouri to see the one a couple years ago.
It was damned well worth the drive for those couple of minutes of total eclipse.
ABATTBQ11
AG
91_Aggie said:

It was damned well worth the drive for those couple of minutes of total eclipse.

I happened to be in Denver on business. It was only like 93% or something, but a helluva lot better than Texas
91_Aggie
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

91_Aggie said:

I happened to be in Denver on business. It was only like 93% or something, but a helluva lot better than Texas
Yeah. 93% better than nothing, but even at 93% most people probably didn't even know it was happening unless they had the glasses.

Looking straight at the sun and seeing a black disc with that halo is just a completely different experience than even 99%.
ABATTBQ11
AG
91_Aggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

91_Aggie said:

Yeah. 93% better than nothing, but even at 93% most people probably didn't even know it was happening unless they had the glasses.

Looking straight at the sun and seeing a black disc with that halo is just a completely different experience than even 99%.

Everyone knew (news and all) and it got a little less bright, but it was incredible how bright it still was with 90%+ of the sun blocked out.
Guppy91
AG
Posted a small album on Imgur... have not stacked the totality exposures yet. Here's a nice shot but it had been chopped by my phone - Canon 5D Mark iv, Williams Optics Zenithstar61 (360mm), f5.9, iso 200, exposure 1/400, no filter, raw format):

Album... included a shot of my phone with some of the images that show the ranges of the bracketed shots:

Eclipse Total del Sol - Bella Vista, San Juan Argentina - July 2, 2019
Guppy91
AG
91_Aggie said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

91_Aggie said:

Yes, 99% vs 100% is literally the difference between day and night(shots courtesy my new friend Aditya Madhavan... and check that green reflection near the bottom!):
Yours truly in the tan shirt.

Guppy91
AG
Made peace with Kevin from Auburn, Alabama... confession, I'd probably wear an SEC Champs hat all a the time, too!
Edit: pic too big. Check the New Friends album.
labmansid
Incredible! Thanks for posting. I was just thinking the other day, that I can't believe in all my years I haven't been to a total solar eclipse. That will have to change in 2024.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

Incredible! Thanks for posting. I was just thinking the other day, that I can't believe in all my years I haven't been to a total solar eclipse. That will have to change in 2024.
We already have a host in Waco for 2024. Perhaps you could join us if she is willing?
labmansid
I appreciate it. I will definitely have to keep that in mind.
Guppy91
AG
Here we go again! Back to Argentina's high desert. We are going a bit further south than last year to into Northern Patagonia for the Total Solar Eclipse of 12/14/20. I am crafting a post for travel forum, but want to get there first... whole bunch-o-protocol (very SEC road game bubble stuff).

Guppy91
AG
Composite from 7/2/19... thought I shared!?
This is 5 images combined taken with a Canon 5DmIV, through a Williams Optics 61mm APO refractor for a focal length of 360mm (stepping up to 73mm and focal length of 430mm for next attempt 12/14/20). All @ ISO 200 and f5.9... exposures are 1.6sec, 1/2sec, 1/400, 1/1000, 1/4000. Blended in post to try to get more of what our highly dynamic eyes see during totality. Hard to capture.

Mucho austin
AG
Mucho austin said:

If I still like all you people, maybe this can still be a thing
Tanya 93
I loved we were in the direct path in 2017
wessimo
AG
Guppy91 said:

Here we go again! Back to Argentina's high desert. We are going a bit further south than last year to into Northern Patagonia for the Total Solar Eclipse of 12/14/20. I am crafting a post for travel forum, but want to get there first... whole bunch-o-protocol (very SEC road game bubble stuff).

Make sure you hit up Ceveceria Patagonia if you are going to be around Bariloche.
Guppy91
AG
wessimo said:

Guppy91 said:

Make sure you hit up Ceveceria Patagonia if you are going to be around Bariloche.

Our original plan was to stay in Bariloche, but that tour was cancelled ;-(. Tour I'm on now stays in Neuquen and busses to/from the observation site on Eclipse day. Maybe next year! I do have some friends going to Bariloche and will pass on the info... thanks!
Guppy91
AG
Double post from travel thread but it works here :-)
-
Arrived in Buenos Aires. Mandated PCR Covid test results were negative for entire group... "clean" bubble.

Dang they went double dip in both nostrils here jeez. Onward to Neuquen tomorrow. The other half of our tour group goes to Bariloche. Only 36 of us total remain from the 800 original eclipse travelers; the first 36 international tourists since March (an eclectic bunch of nerds even sans me).

We had Malbec(s) and steak for lunch today on lovely city tour. Gorgeous city. They are happy to see tourists again. "Stay safe & Clear skies"

The pro folks in our group are busting out the 4K video this year, some with max capture rates using ASI CMOS dedicated astrophotography gear. Again, I'm just using the Canon 5DmIV with Williams Optics 73mm (430mm focal length).

With a little luck, I will be able to post decent data... the corona is much different this year given we are coming out of solar minimum and the coronal activity is starting to pick up.

Guppy91
AG
Here is an Image of 3rd Contact...compressed by iPhone but still showing prominences, chromosphere, diamond ring, and what counts as Bailey's Beads (light being blocked by the mountains on The Moon).

At 1:07pm local time in Fortin Nogueira, Piedra del Aguila Patagonia, Argentina The Moon passed in front of The Sun and cast its umbral shadow upon The Earth. Very high and chilling wind was challenging, but we got a fantastic show!

Guppy91
AG
An interesting Total Solar Eclipse phenomenon was captured in this image. A thin cloud passed in front of the event at Totality and produced "shadow bands" - lines of shimmering light caused by the same conditions that make stars twinkle. Gorgeous!

wangus12
AG
Great pics man. I already plan on taking off April 2024 for the one going over TX
Guppy91
AG
Importing data today and it looks very nice compared to the cropped iphone!

Guppy91
AG
Difference in res example:

Guppy91
AG
Full frame, uncropped capture of the innermost of concentric rainbows we saw around the Sun & Moon... a thin cloud drifted by for about 30 seconds during the transition into Totality.
Guppy91
AG
Link below to an in-depth recap of the event covered by the foremost Solar Eclipse observer alive. There are a handful of other pros that have seen more "Total" events, but Paul Maley laps them when Partials are included. He's a bit of a travel bug as he has been to 294 countries (there are currently 193).

Happy to be a contributor for this one:
12/14/2020 Total Solar Eclipse recap

Paul Maley Travels

Eclipse Chaser Log
Guppy91
AG
Before the next Total Solar 12/4/21: Annular Solar Eclipse of 6/10/21! In an Annular Solar Eclipse The Moon does not appear big enough from Earth to completely cover The Sun. The result is an annulus or "ring of fire" that appears instead of totality. Some chase it regardless:

Trip to Baffin Island cancelled due to Canadian travel restrictions (and it would be less than 50% chance of clear skies). Solution: Rent an Airbus 319 from Delta!

https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/first-look-at-2021s-annular-eclipse/

Sky and Telescope Magazine and the American Astronomical Society have rented a flight to/from Minneapolis to view the eclipse at dawn on 6/10. Sharing a row and plan to have images. Staying at the airport Intercon so hopefully, riot-free entertainment!

TexAgs91
AG
I waited about 40 years to see the one in 2017 and travelled to Wyoming. The weather was perfect and the eclipse was incredible.

I took this 360 video from my quad
I identify as Ultra-MAGA
Guppy91
AG
Officially on flight to the central annularity of the solar eclipse of 6/10/21. Pilots are taking manual control of the Airbus 319a to tilt the wing 5 degrees for optimal viewing at sunrise. Window washers and a backup plane should increase the chances of catching an image or two of The Ring of Fire at dawn over Southern Ontario. Plane full of nerds nerds nerds!

https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/2021-june-10

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.