Dual Monitor vs single ultra wide monitor

5,292 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by tamusc
Aggie09Derek
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone that has made the switch to just one big monitor have any regrets?

Debating between two ~24inch screens vs one ultra wide (not sure on size).
Civen
AG
What's your use case?

For games, I prefer two monitors since it lets me keep something going on the second screen. Same for netflix and movies, I can fully maximize on one screen while continuing to work on the other.

For work, it doesn't really matter to much anymore. The winkey+up/down/left/right sizing works well enough to help effectively use all the available screen space.

I still prefer two separate monitors though. For the game/netflix reason, and because I like being able to mentally segregate icons/shortcuts on two screens for organization purposes.
n_touch
Go with two for everything mentioned above
boy09
AG
You'll also get a lot more screen real estate for much cheaper with 2 monitors, which is probably pretty obvious. You can get 2 27" 1080p monitors for ~$250 combined, or get an ultrawide 3840 x 1080 monitor with equivalent screen space for $900...
chipotle
Get two of these:

Samsung 4k

That's my setup.
powerbelly
AG
I prefer the single ultra-wide monitor.
Claude!
If for work, do you do any GoToMeeting or other screen sharing? If so, I'd go with two monitors. Plus, if you review a lot of documents, you can orient one vertically.
Aggie09Derek
AG
No sharing of screens with others.

I usually have a big excel spreadsheet open on one monitor and chrome on another.
TMoney2007
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

No sharing of screens with others.

I usually have a big excel spreadsheet open on one monitor and chrome on another.
I also use very wide excel spreadsheets, and having the ultrawide is really nice. If needed you can extend it to full screen and there's no break. You can always divide it up if you want to. I also read large construction plans, so being able to see more of the drawing without a break helps me.

I actually have a 34" ultrawide and a 27" regular monitor in my setup. I bought into ultrawide monitors very early, but its still been worth it for how I work.
AGnNoCo
AG
I prefer my 34'' ultra-wide monitor. It is also good for video editing. That being said, I am thinking of getting a 27" monitor (turned vertically) for coding. From what I have seen, this appears to be a good setup for just about anything you will want to do.
aezmvp
Trying to decide between a Super Ultra Wide and upgrading my home monitor setup with 2 27" monitors. It's roughly $200 difference so I'm thinking I'll go with the two and get a smaller TV for other stuff to go on the wall or just pocket it for a different upgrade later.
G Martin 87
AG
Claude! said:

If for work, do you do any GoToMeeting or other screen sharing? If so, I'd go with two monitors. Plus, if you review a lot of documents, you can orient one vertically.
I prefer a 2 screen setup for this reason, too, but WebEx now allows screen sharing by application instead of screen. It's less of a justification nowadays.
tlepoC
AG
I prefer one large 42 inch 4k screen. 4 screens is better than 2
unmade bed
Dual Ultra Wide Monitors
Aggie09Derek
AG
I see lots of monitors called "gaming monitors", what is the real difference in them?

Leaning towards dual 24-27 inch monitors.
Claude!
Part of it's just marketing, but gaming-focused monitors typically have lower refresh rates and G-Sync or Free Sync compatibility.

Also, if you go with dual monitors, get an arm mount. Opens up a lot of desk space.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Buying an uplift desk and gonna get this one:
https://www.upliftdesk.com/range-dual-monitor-arm-uplift-desk/
AGnNoCo
AG
Does anybody have any experience with building their own adjustable height desk? I am looking at building a butcher block desk. Specifically, does anybody have a recommendation for a good frame/base?
lucid
AG
I prefer dual screen vs a single ultra wide as well.

I've used a variety of dual monitor configurations over the years, but currently I've got 2 setups: dual 24 inch (1200p) and dual 27 inch (1440p). Mostly for coding. I rarely do any gaming.

I prefer the dual 27 inch for the extra real estate, but the 24 inch isn't bad either.
GreasenUSA
AG
I currently have a 34 inch Ultrawide. I would prefer to go back to two monitors angled inward. With the ultrawide, I find myself having to physically move to the left and right too often to see different parts of the screen.
tamusc
AG
Claude! said:

Part of it's just marketing, but gaming-focused monitors typically have lower refresh rates and G-Sync or Free Sync compatibility.

Also, if you go with dual monitors, get an arm mount. Opens up a lot of desk space.
Gaming monitors typically have higher refresh rates and lower (ie faster) pixel response times. The combination of those two things provides for a much more responsive and smoother gaming experience.

Gaming monitors also tend to be variable refresh rate, which allows them to match their refresh rate to the framrerate. Matching the refresh rate to the framerate can again provide a smoother, more responsive gaming experience.G-sync and FreeSync are the two competing variable refresh rate (VRR) standards. G-sync is the standard that NVIDIA created and is only supported by their GPUs. FreeSync is an open standard created by AMD and aspects of it have actually been integrated into the HDMI and DisplayPort standards. Freesync is supported by all AMD GPUs, NVIDIA GPUs that are part of their 10-series or newer, and even things like the Xbox One as well as some TV models. From a purely technical perspective, G-sync is probably is better, but much more expensive because you're locked into NVIDIA GPUs and the monitors require a proprietary module that NVIDIA sells the display manufacturers. FreeSync is solid technology, but was plagued by poor implementations early on (and still today with some monitors) due to its open nature. The FreeSync situation has improved dramatically over the last year or two, especially once NVIDIA offically started supporting it as well (though only using DisplayPort connections).

Currently I"m using a 32" 165Hz Freesync monitor (Pixio PX329) as my primary monitor for videos and gaming alongside a 24" 60Hz monitor (Dell U2412M) as a secondary monitor.
Claude!
You're absolutely right - I misspoke. High refresh rate = good, high response time = bad.
Aero95
AG
AGnNoCo said:

Does anybody have any experience with building their own adjustable height desk? I am looking at building a butcher block desk. Specifically, does anybody have a recommendation for a good frame/base?

Years ago I stumbled on to ask adjustable height work bench on casters at a manufacturing company surplus sale....I had the same idea to make it into a desk. Jumped on it for $100. The actuator still works! It's in service as a work bench in my hangar, but someday I'm planning to make an incredible desk using a wing center section from my salvage plane. (That's a separate long story)

Anyway, if you're near a big city, I'd troll eBay, craigslist, FB market, auction sites, etc and try to find something industrial.
SJEAg
AG
I use a 34 inch curved ultrawide and a cheap basic 20 inch to the side.

34 inch is where I do most everything and the 2nd monitor is usually turned off unless I am working from home. If working, I use the 20 to keep something open that I don't need to access often but want in view (i.e. status screens that autorefresh, maybe outlook if not actively working emails).

When I need 3 screens for whatever reason, it's easy to split the ultrawide.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I think I have decided on getting two 24'' monitors.

Want 2 HDMI ports and mountable for sub $200 per. So many options.

Any advice on what to avoid or suggestions?
coastalAg
AG
At 27 inches, I would suggest spending the money for 1440p. I think you will appreciate the extra vertical pixels over 1080p, especially since you are in spreadsheets a lot.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Ha already changed my mind. Desk will only be 60'' wide and gonna go with two 24's.

Thanks for the advice though.
lb3
AG
boboguitar
AG
I have both at work actually and use every single bit of screen space available.
Sling Blade
AG
I just bought a 49" ultrawide. It takes time getting used to it.

I did cheap out a bit, and got a 3480x1080 instead of 1440p but I don't regret it. I don't do any gaming and just wanted more real estate.

I previously had 2 27" 1440p monitors.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Do many of you Daisy Chain your monitors or what is the best setup if not for connecting both?

Sorry for n00b questions.
boboguitar
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Do many of you Daisy Chain your monitors or what is the best setup if not for connecting both?

Sorry for n00b questions.
I can't Daisy Chain my main monitor so I end up plugign both into my laptop.
MW03
AG
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I use 3 27"monitors and usually split screen the left and right monitors, so I can easily run 5 windows.

I'm ******ed and occasionally think I need a 4th monitor. Thankfully my setup won't support 4.
boboguitar
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

I use 3 27"monitors and usually split screen the left and right monitors, so I can easily run 5 windows.

I'm ******ed and occasionally think I need a 4th monitor. Thankfully my setup won't support 4.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.