Graphic equalizer

3 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 76Ag
76Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have my old turntable connected to my old pioneer receiver. I'm thinking about adding an equalizer. Any thoughts or advice? Please.
Koko Chingo
AG
It sounds like you are more of a purist. If so, keep your equalizer in the same vintage as your turntable and receiver.

A new fancy equalizer will definitely make your music sound better. You just may not be happy mixing in new digital stuff with your old school system.

Regardless of which way you go an equalizer will help.
76Ag
AG
Not a purist so much but I have boxes of LPs that I never wanted to get rid of. I re-foamed my old Advent speakers and finally found enough space to set up the turntable and receiver. Still sounds pretty good. I always wanted an equalizer and was thinking this is my chance to try one out.
76Ag
AG
LOL, I went to "Save On Sound" on Antoine in Houston to see if he had a used equalizer. This place is run by an older Asian gentleman that repaired my turntable. The place is full of old stereo equipment, mostly reel to reel machines and old receivers. He had no equalizers. I guess people hang onto those? As a side note, I had no idea this part of town was going to make me wish I was carrying just to drive through it. Anyway, it looks like I will have to order a new equalizer. There are some used equalizers on Ebay but the shipping cost is almost as much as the machine themselves.......
nai06
AG
whats your specific setup? What pioneer receiver do you have?

Ive got a Pro-ject Essential III and Pioneer PL 512 running to a Pioneer SX 1010.

Check ebay for what your looking for or even goodwill
76Ag
AG
My wife does check out goodwill from time to time and I go with her sometimes. I will have to check on the Pioneer receiver model when I get home. It was purchased probably in 1978. The turntable, a Dual was purchased at a similar time.
Koko Chingo
AG
You have the luxury of time. You can be patient to find the right one. New receivers have their equalizers integrated and DSP's that filter/shape the sound. You adjust everything on an app.

Most of the new stuff you find with old school sliders is made for live music. Its form factor is for a 19 in rack.

Try places in Austin. Make it a fun weekend and visit different shops. Try these guys. I have purchased a few things in the past - https://www.austinstereo.com/
nai06
AG
76Ag said:

My wife does check out goodwill from time to time and I go with her sometimes. I will have to check on the Pioneer receiver model when I get home. It was purchased probably in 1978. The turntable, a Dual was purchased at a similar time.

Check out the Goodwill auction site. You have to pay shipping but there's always good deals on vintage audio on there

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/
nai06
AG
These guys in the Dallas area are great for finding rare or obscure stuff. If you call them they could probably locate what your looking for. Little pricey but everything they stock is high quality, fully refurbished, and comes with a warranty

https://www.dallasvintageaudio.com/
Synopsis
76Ag said:

LOL, I went to "Save On Sound" on Antoine in Houston to see if he had a used equalizer. This place is run by an older Asian gentleman that repaired my turntable. The place is full of old stereo equipment, mostly reel to reel machines and old receivers. He had no equalizers. I guess people hang onto those? As a side note, I had no idea this part of town was going to make me wish I was carrying just to drive through it. Anyway, it looks like I will have to order a new equalizer. There are some used equalizers on Ebay but the shipping cost is almost as much as the machine themselves.......

Oh man I remember the day when reel to reels meant you were the master of sound. Congrats on having all of those old LPs.
76Ag
AG
Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-6. Tried Goodwill this evening. Pitiful but I'm not surprised.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.