Which streaming service is the best alternative to cable?

4,421 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jja79
Laser Wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I was looking at Sling TV, but it does not have Fox News (has fake news CNN) which is a deal breaker.
Cappy407
AG
I've used YouTube TV for two months now. Watched the Football national championships and the Super Bowl on it while the wife and kids streamed something else in the other room. No issues with lagging, freezing, unavailability, etc. in the 2 months.

It's not the cheapest option at $40, but it has all the locals, and the major networks, ESPN, SEC Network, and several other sports channels. You can watch it basically on any phone/tablet, pc with web browser, Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, etc. Plus unlimited DVR for 9 months and on demand episodes of popular shows.
hatchback
AG
The wife and I have been Hulu TV subscribers for a couple of years. I like it and it's easy enough for the wife (who isn't technology savvy) to use. Plus, with the Live subscription you have access to the entire Hulu library.

And, according to the website, they offer Fox News.
caleblyn
I have PSVue but about to switch. To get SECNetwork, you pay another $5. Pricing (I believe is current) is,

PSVue $50
HuluTV $45
YoutubeTV $40

Sling Too Much
John Beckwith
AG
YouTube TV
Forum Troll
AG
If you can do without Viacom stuff, YouTube TV is the best.
TravelAg2004
AG
We have Hulu Live and watched all of football season without issues. The big reason we went with Hulu vs Youtube is channel availability. My wife wanted Bravo and HGTV which Youtube doesn't offer.

But I've seen and used Youtube and its a great service as well.

Stick with those 2 and you'll be pleased.
hbc07
AG
I have a discounted directtvnow subscription through at&t. It's alright. The dvr feature is clunky and doesn't always work right. Other that that I get a decent selection of channels for $20/mo
saltydog13
AG
If you have att unlimited you can get a discount on directv now
AggieFrog
AG
Laser Wolf said:

I was looking at Sling TV, but it does not have Fox News (has fake news CNN) which is a deal breaker.

YouTube TV, though I block Faux News.
Sling Blade
AG
We've really enjoyed PSVue.

Anyone switch from PSVue to another platform?
Gigem314
AG
YouTube TV is excellent. One package, and you get all the major ESPN's plus SECN for football season. They're really good about local channels too, even in smaller markets. Great value all around.
nwspmp
I have DirecTVNow (grandfathered plan from early startup) and keep it mostly because I can run my PlayOn.tv system and record from it. That said, the biggest package minus the premiums (except for HBO which is included) is ~$40/month.

And it includes both fake news channels mentioned above
herb96
AG
Laser Wolf said:

keep politics out of the Nerd board

Most of these services have trial periods, try them out and see which one you like best.
agracer
AG
I'm on Direct TV now and like most others, no contract, you can upgrade/downgrade with no penalty/fee and even stop service then sign back up again later, again no fees or cancellation charges.

I started last spring when they had a "free Apple TV 4k" with 3-months pre-paid. I wanted an Apple TV anyway so it worked out fine. I upgraded my service for college football season, and downgraded after the bowl games were over. Will likely cancel this summer since I hardly watch TV May-Aug and then start up again when college football starts.

The DVR seems to work fine. User interface is not the most intuitive at times (I find myself unwittingly dumped back to the Apple TV start screen every now and then). Other than an re-install on my Fire TV, the service has worked fine.

As other suggested, almost all of them have a least a week free trial do try them out and pick the one you like best.

EDIT TO ADD: The lack of a PlayStation option is somewhat of a issue since one TV is PS4 only, but Netflix and Amazon Prime work fine for the kids TV.
Yellerjacket
We had PSVue for a while and it was okay.

We now have YouTube TV for $40/month and Philo TV for $16/month.
Needed Philo for History channel (me) and Lifetime (wife).

$56/month and we get every channel we need.

3rdGenAg06
AG
FWIW, most of these services have a free 30-day trial so you can try each out and see which one fits your family better.

We used Hulu Live throughout football season and it was pretty solid. Main complaints were the DVD functionality is a little wonky not allowing you to fast-forward through commercials of some recorded shows/games (even with the commercial free version) and the live TV commercials had the same issue. For example, you pause the game, come back and hit a commercial, you can't fast-forward through it. I think you could fast-forward live TV though and then rewind up to that commercial break if you weren't too far behind.

Good performance otherwise. They just increased rates this month, which was annoying. I'm concerned all of these services will keep bumping up rates (maybe when they add new content/channels, maybe even when they don't) to where you don't save much compared to just having cable/satellite. On the other hand, you can easily add/drop the service, which is what I plan to do every football season. The regular ad-free Hulu provides plenty of content at a good price so it's worth keeping around after football IMO.
Shelton98
AG
It really depends on how many people will be using it and what your viewing preferences are. If you have more than 3 people and y'all watch totally different stuff.... YouTube TV + Philo is the way to go.

Now, if it was just me... I would probably just go with one of those HD antenna's for local news and major networks... and Philo for the other stuff I watch outside of college football season. During football season I would pick up YouTube TV.
Laser Wolf
hatchback said:

The wife and I have been Hulu TV subscribers for a couple of years. I like it and it's easy enough for the wife (who isn't technology savvy) to use. Plus, with the Live subscription you have access to the entire Hulu library.

And, according to the website, they offer Fox News.

I think we are going to try Hulu Live TV. It has all of the channels my wife and I want, and I can also use my XBOX One X instead of needing a roku or apple tv.
JSKolache
AG
All of them are better, but not all have the same packages of channels. I did sling for a year and now on year 3 of directvnow.
diehard03
Quote:

Aren't you basically at cable costs now? I'll have to make a decision in a year and a half so I'm curious how much people are really saving.
AggieFrog
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Aren't you basically at cable costs now? I'll have to make a decision in a year and a half so I'm curious how much people are really saving.

That's half what cable/satellite costs after the introductory period.
nwspmp
diehard03 said:

Quote:

I'm at $40/month for pretty much every channel.

Similar channels with Dish and DirecTV satellite were over $110/month by themselves.

I don't count the cost of Internet, as I had Internet service regardless of which TV service I had, and typically had a similar level of Internet service.

Adding the value TV would add $29.99/month (first year) to my Internet cost, but then there's the extra TV fees ($11/tv), Broadcast Surcharge ($11/month), Sports Fees ($5.15), and the minimum would be almost $60, and that's with at least 30 channels less (Suddenlink's "200 channels" includes separate line items for the HD channel and the SD channel and includes all of the Music Choice channels and the available On-Demand and Adult Premiums at additional cost as part of the package, since you can access them separately from each other) though to be fair, there are probably two or three channels that Suddenlink has that DTVN doesn't, but none of the ones I saw I would watch on either service.
saltydog13
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

My directv bill is $45 only after fighting for about a month to get a $20/month discount. I am kind of stuck as well since I receive the att unlimited $25 discount or else my bill would be $70. I would gladly pay $40-$50 for streaming as it is no hassle, no contracts, and is so easy to swap services.

I have other discounts rolling off in a few months, so I may reach my patience threshold fighting for discounts and just swap to Directv Now with the att unlimited discount.
Yellerjacket
diehard03 said:

Quote:

Not even close. We were paying $170/month for DirecTV for the same channels I get now.
Now, we pay about the same for Internet AND TV.
DeBoss
AG
I'm on DirecTV Now because of Nick and Nick Jr. Need those because of young kids and they are the only ones that have it.
Shelton98
AG
DeBoss said:

I'm on DirecTV Now because of Nick and Nick Jr. Need those because of young kids and they are the only ones that have it.

Philo has them both.
Flashdiaz
AG
have Hulu now... not a fan of the paying extra to skip commercials and they're raising their price at the end of this month. Going to switch to Youtube TV.
fig96
AG
saltydog13 said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

My directv bill is $45 only after fighting for about a month to get a $20/month discount. I am kind of stuck as well since I receive the att unlimited $25 discount or else my bill would be $70. I would gladly pay $40-$50 for streaming as it is no hassle, no contracts, and is so easy to swap services.

I have other discounts rolling off in a few months, so I may reach my patience threshold fighting for discounts and just swap to Directv Now with the att unlimited discount.
I'm counting down the days (next month) till my DirecTV deal expires and I can go full digital. Got a bunch of incentives to switch from U-verse to DirecTV and I'd give back the cash if I could.

Think we'll try YouTubeTV to start and see how it goes.
diehard03
Quote:

have Hulu now... not a fan of the paying extra to skip commercials and they're raising their price at the end of this month. Going to switch to Youtube TV.

It sounds like this is going to be an ongoing phenomenon.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
Shelton98
AG
Yellerjacket said:

diehard03 said:

Quote:

Not even close. We were paying $170/month for DirecTV for the same channels I get now.
Now, we pay about the same for Internet AND TV.

I was paying $190/mo for a HD Genie + 3 wireless mini-Genie's + HBO + all the other stupid fees DTV tacked on. Every time a rain cloud passed by we would lose signal. DVR would hold 100 hrs of HD content and my wife could fill that up in a week or two. Recordings would also magically disappear from the DVR. But the most annoying thing was the lag when trying to scroll through the guide.

10andBOUNCE
AG
Cheap Hulu package (not live) with OTA antennae. Catch any major sporting event event no problem. SEC on CBS. Also get MLB streaming for about $100 a season.
Redstone
AG
We have

Hulu (Plus)
Prime (early adopter)
Netflix (early adopter)
YogaGlo
YouTube
Podcasts (iPhone X)
Tv antenna
PS 2
wii
DVD
fooz
If you have an android device and can cast. http://titaniumtv.xyz/
alph
John Beckwith said:

YouTube TV
+1

I've been very happy with this service too.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.