Fantasy book series

14,878 Views | 124 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Gaius Julius Bevo
Prime0882
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JRC0811 said:

I've not met too many people who have read David Gemmel's Troy series, but, this is one of my all time favorites right up there with some of the authors listed above. This series is more of a mix between historical and fantasy fiction, though. One day I'm going to convince one of y'all to read this series on one of these boards...

https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Lord-Silver-Trilogy-Book/dp/0345494571

Since we brought up Michael A Stackpole, I'm going to bump my own post about David Gemmel. This series really was amazing, as well as his Druss the Legend and Riganate series.
Fleff
AG
Read a bunch of his stuff in the late 90s. He loved to write about heroes past their prime on one last adventure. Never could get into the Troy stuff.
Eliminatus
AG
Bumping this for updates from y'all and to announce I just opened book one of the Malazan series thanks to this thread.

Wish me luck!
DanHo2010
AG
See you in 2 years!
javajaws
AG
I've read through all 10 Malazan books twice, both times on physical books.

I think it definitely takes 2 readings to get the most out of it. I think I'll actually buy all 10 again on kindle and start a 3rd reading this summer.
Madmarttigan
AG
If you need some easy fun reads that still have some emotional meat to then later in the series gotta go with Dresden Files. People throwing around some heavy fantasy left and right it is sometimes nice to read something you don't have to slog through. They all have there moments but as much as stormlight has made me jizz in my pants I've also fallen asleep after 5 pages many times.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just read Hobb's farseer book 1 and 2. Second book was incredibly boring with zero payout so I just cliff noted the third and decided I'm done with it.

Since I just am not up for a stormlight reread quite yet I was looking at what Amazon linked me to from Words of Radiance. Stumbled upon Winter's Rage of Dragons. It was a really good page turner and refreshing after sitting through Hobb. Felt a little like Red Rising but perhaps not as well written. Unfortunately only one book out so far and the next this fall. Give it a solid 3.5-4/5
PatAg
AG
Quadrail Series by Timotyh Zahn
SkyMoose
AG
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R Donaldson.

2nd Chronicles of Thomas Covenant.

End of thread.
Chase
AG
SkyMoose said:

End of thread.
No offense, but that series doesn't hold a candle to several being discussed here and it certainly isn't the end of any thread on Fantasy writing anywhere.

The guy was considered brilliant when the series came out because he did different things with the genre and really went dark with a lot of his plot lines but that opinion didn't really stand the test of time.

While the series is definitely a decent read it has quite a few warts. His writing style is tediously thesaurus-driven, his main character is just absolutely unlikable and the story could have been told in several fewer books if not drug out so long.
bearamedic99
AG
Yeah, I tried the first book and couldn't get past certain evils the protagonist does early in the book
maverick2076
The Farseer books are good, but they are really sad. The Liveship Traders books are much more fascinating and definitely worth the read.
91_Aggie
AG
Eliminatus said:

Bumping this for updates from y'all and to announce I just opened book one of the Malazan series thanks to this thread.

Wish me luck!

I hope you are still reading.
YouBet
AG
Chase said:

SkyMoose said:

End of thread.
No offense, but that series doesn't hold a candle to several being discussed here and it certainly isn't the end of any thread on Fantasy writing anywhere.

The guy was considered brilliant when the series came out because he did different things with the genre and really went dark with a lot of his plot lines but that opinion didn't really stand the test of time.

While the series is definitely a decent read it has quite a few warts. His writing style is tediously thesaurus-driven, his main character is just absolutely unlikable and the story could have been told in several fewer books if not drug out so long.
Agreed. I gave up on it after first book.
13B
"I've not met too many people who have read David Gemmel's Troy series, but, this is one of my all time favorites right up there with some of the authors listed above. This series is more of a mix between historical and fantasy fiction, though. One day I'm going to convince one of y'all to read this series on one of these boards... "

I had a friend loan me these books. I agree, they are really good and a fascinating take on the story of the Iliad. A great mix of hinting at mythology being real but just as easily explained away by factual information. Additionally, incredible job of interpreting all of the characters involved. Like you said, it is a great mix of historical and fantasy fiction. Highly recommend!
Leeman
Find it amazing more haven't read Black Company, Excellent books,

Big thumbs up for Will Wight - in particular Cradle.
AggieFlyboy
AG
tv1113 said:

Just read Hobb's farseer book 1 and 2. Second book was incredibly boring with zero payout so I just cliff noted the third and decided I'm done with it.

Since I just am not up for a stormlight reread quite yet I was looking at what Amazon linked me to from Words of Radiance. Stumbled upon Winter's Rage of Dragons. It was a really good page turner and refreshing after sitting through Hobb. Felt a little like Red Rising but perhaps not as well written. Unfortunately only one book out so far and the next this fall. Give it a solid 3.5-4/5

I'm glad That I'm not the only person who finds the Farseer books dreadfully boring. The first book is great, but the protagonist never learns or grows. He is constantly at the mercy of the world around him. I quit halfway through the third book
YouBet
AG
Leeman said:

Find it amazing more haven't read Black Company, Excellent books,

Big thumbs up for Will Wight - in particular Cradle.
I probably already commented on this but I've read most of them. The first 4 or so books are great but it does bog down and get kind of boring once they make their way up to that magical border thing I'm hazy on the details. I never actually finished it from that point on because it stagnated.
Gaius Julius Bevo
I enjoyed The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley quite a bit. I ran it as a teen and didn't notice the feminist overtones then and just read it as an evocative story of relationships amidst invasion and the inevitably change of society. Later on, I learned about the MZB's personal life and how this book was influential in feminism and I went back and re-read it. I still enjoyed the book, even as a regular Joe.

Anyway, it is a classic IMO, though politics have made the book unpalatable to people on both the Right and the Left these days.
Claude!
Gaius Julius Bevo said:

I enjoyed The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley quite a bit. I ran it as a teen and didn't notice the feminist overtones then and just read it as an evocative story of relationships amidst invasion and the inevitably change of society. Later on, I learned about the MZB's personal life and how this book was influential in feminism and I went back and re-read it. I still enjoyed the book, even as a regular Joe.

Anyway, it is a classic IMO, though politics have made the book unpalatable to people on both the Right and the Left these days.
Unfortunately, I think there are other aspects of her personal life that make the book unpalatable for me. When your Wikipedia bio requires a section titled "Child sex abuse allegations", that's not a good thing.
Gaius Julius Bevo
Claude! said:

Gaius Julius Bevo said:

Unfortunately, I think there are other aspects of her personal life that make the book unpalatable for me. When your Wikipedia bio requires a section titled "Child sex abuse allegations", that's not a good thing.
Yeah, I alluded above to that though not in a graphic manner. The abuse is troubling. I choose however to read the book on its own merits outside of the life of the author. Perhaps not the current popular way of viewing literature or other works of art, but one I follow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.