Bethesda teases something Fallout related

10,977 Views | 136 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AtlAg05
digital_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Makes sense. It will limit them from that perspective.

And I didn't even consider the mod aspect. I've modded every Bethesda game.
AtlAg05
AG
Pretty sure I heard mention there will be no modding.
EastTexasAg1994
AG
AtlAg05 said:

Pretty sure I heard mention there will be no modding.
Not true. It will be after release.

https://www.pcgamer.com/fallout-76-will-have-mod-support-but-not-at-launch/

Quote:

"We love mods, and so we are 100 percent committed to doing that in 76 as well," Howard said. "We will not be able to do that at launch though. Our goal for launchthis is really new for usis have a well-running, robust service, and then some period later, we're currently still designing what that service looks like, you'll be able to have your own private world and be able to mod it and do all of that.
Wyoming Aggie
AG
digital_ag said:

I don't get the backlash over the online bit. I'm super stoked to be able to play this with buddies on PC. But I'm a sucker for the dynamic content online sandboxes offer. Some great moments can't be scripted.

I guess I don't understand the "play solo but still online" bit? Why is that bad?

Aside: New Vegas was great because the dialogue wasn't limited by voice acting. I know it's the way things are done now with AAA games but I'd pick large conversation trees with real consequences over having to stay within the confines of limited voice acted lines every time.

I've never liked online play. I guess it's because I didn't grow up with it. I like getting immersed in a storyline.

Online play always just ends up being a shooting game and that gets old so fast for me.
AtlAg05
AG
Ah, very cool
Average Joe
AG
https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/13/17456634/fallout-76-microtransactions-dlc-online-nukes-bethesda-e3-2018

This answers some questions.

Much to my surprise VATS will still be a thing, it just won't slow down time. Not sure how useful it will be then.

Several other good tidbits.
bangobango
AG
Was excited about the setting, then they started revealing details:

1. I don't have time to super-deck out my character to compete with people who sit at home and do nothing but play video games with no job. I have always enjoyed pvp'ing, but not when the casual gamer cannot ever hope to compete with the super-gamers b/c of simple time allotment.

2. I'm old enough now that "playing with friends" ain't going to happen. One reason is, video games are a lot more popular now than they were when I was growing up, so a lot of my friends don't play anything more complicated than flappy birds. Two, we all have kids and jobs, so nobody can coordinate schedules to play, anyways.

3. The settlement crap was terrible in the last game. I don't play fallout to build settlements. I play to explore and shoot things. If I want to build things, then I play minecraft. Looks like they're doubling down on the minecraft stuff, unfortunately.

Love the music and the renderings in the trailer. Thought maybe they were going for the founding of the Brotherhood or something. Not happy about many of the details Howard announced.

The nuke part looks pretty cool, though.
nomad2007
AG
bangobango said:

Was excited about the setting, then they started revealing details:

1. I don't have time to super-deck out my character to compete with people who sit at home and do nothing but play video games with no job. I have always enjoyed pvp'ing, but not when the casual gamer cannot ever hope to compete with the super-gamers b/c of simple time allotment.

2. I'm old enough now that "playing with friends" ain't going to happen. One reason is, video games are a lot more popular now than they were when I was growing up, so a lot of my friends don't play anything more complicated than flappy birds. Two, we all have kids and jobs, so nobody can coordinate schedules to play, anyways.

3. The settlement crap was terrible in the last game. I don't play fallout to build settlements. I play to explore and shoot things. If I want to build things, then I play minecraft. Looks like they're doubling down on the minecraft stuff, unfortunately.

Love the music and the renderings in the trailer. Thought maybe they were going for the founding of the Brotherhood or something. Not happy about many of the details Howard announced.

The nuke part looks pretty cool, though.
No kidding. I found this to be a huge turn-off in The Division....and the reason I stopped playing.

I'm going to get the new Fallout, but that's my biggest fear about it.

What I'm hoping happens is that there is matchmaking with the instances, so that low-level gear players never get put in with higher-level gear folks. I haven't heard any evidence that that will happen though.
AliasMan02
AG
You can Solo the whole game, it sounds like, and actively avoid other people. Sounds like they've taken care of a lot of the concerns.
nomad2007
AG
AliasMan02 said:

You can Solo the whole game, it sounds like, and actively avoid other people. Sounds like they've taken care of a lot of the concerns.
From what I understood watching the conference was that you can solo it but there will always be other people in your instance.... I may be wrong, though.
flakrat
AG
Have they said anything about whether or not it will require a monthly fee?

I hope not, given the way I slog through all of the other fallout games it'll cost me a fortune to play :-)
bangobango
AG
AliasMan02 said:

But who wants to solo a MMORPG, with how static the environments in those are?

Dark souls is about the only kind dof online play I am looking for now-days, and even that eventually breaks down to just a bunch of sex jokes.
AliasMan02
AG
bangobango said:

AliasMan02 said:

But who wants to solo a MMORPG, with how atatic the environments in those are?

Dark souls is about the only kind dof online play I am looking for now-days, and even that eventually breaks down to just a bunch of sex jokes.

I'm not sure it's really a true MMO because the servers are apparently going to be pretty limited in population. But it doesn't quite sound like Anthem or Destiny, either, where you Solo the game but team up for missions.

The nuke thing indicates that the world will be at least somewhat dynamic.

The apparent lack of NPCs to trade with is truly fascinating. I'm reading that correctly, right?
AtlAg05
AG
Yep, no NPCs.
nomad2007
AG
flakrat said:

I hope not, given the way I slog through all of the other fallout games it'll cost me a fortune to play :-)

I highly doubt it. They haven't mentioned a monthly fee and I feel they would have by now.
RadAg14
AG
Documentary that answers alot of questions. This youtube channel is really good with these videos

Wildmen03
AG
nomad2007 said:

flakrat said:

I highly doubt it. They haven't mentioned a monthly fee and I feel they would have by now.
I believe you'll rely on whatever the platform charges for online access.

Xbox live, PS Plus, Steam etc.
YouBet
AG
Am I the only one that never used VATS? Almost every game you play you get to a point where you are a god so I try to not use things that give me an advantge.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
YouBet said:

Am I the only one that never used VATS? Almost every game you play you get to a point where you are a god so I try to not use things that give me an advantge.
Early on I would use it for close range pistol shots, especially with ghouls. A few shots to the kneecap and they're completely useless. Kinda fun to have a pack of 10 of them trying to slowly drag themselves towards you instead of a sprinting mob of death.
Average Joe
AG
YouBet said:

If it flies, it gets the VATS. Hated trying to kill flying things. I would also use it as a way to stop and assess how many enemies were around if I got jumped.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
Anyone going to do B.E.T.A. for the PC?
"Set in a post-apocalyptic world where Liberals have ruined everything for everyone" -Raptor
bearamedic99
AG
bump.

Did anyone play the beta? How was it? I'm a little confused by the lack of human NPCs. Does that mean some people will be healers, merchants, chem dealers, etc? Where will they get their stock? Will everyone have a chance to own a booth or store and if so, will the store be active when you are offline?
Prime0882
AG

Sounds like this could be an absolute failure. Bethesda was on record when Fallout 4 released that the engine couldn't really handle a multiplayer, and now they're releasing a game using that very same engine.

Beware those who pre-ordered, sounds like people are saying don't expect much more than a cash grab from this one.

https://www.reddit.com/r/fo76/comments/9ss1rf/beta_deleted_itself_from_pc/

One of the more interesting bugs I've ever heard of out of Bethesda...
Claude!
I played the beta very briefly last night (less than an hour). It was....fine. Played like Fallout 4 without pausing. My GTX 770 chugged a little bit, but it's technically below minimum specs so that's not unexpected.

The lack of human NPCs is a bit weird and makes the world, what little I saw, seem a little more lifeless with just robots and monsters. The story hook is interesting, but I fear it will wind up being pretty shallow.
bearamedic99
AG
they may be subpar cash grabs but I've pre-ordered this and BFV due to faith in the brand. I'll give them a try.
AtlAg05
AG
I watched the JackFrags video and they discovered the game speed was tied to FPS. In high FPS areas they were running at double speed or when they looked down they could run faster.

I was thinking about buying but while watching streamers/videos I just don't see how you can do the lore in multiplayer. Everyone would stand there for a few minutes listening to the voice overs, not saying anything.

Seems like if it had been more of a survival game in the fallout world it would have been better for multiplayer. The random events looked fun in a group.
ThatSneakyAzzAleppoMoment
Got about 40 mins game play and so far I enjoyed it.
"Set in a post-apocalyptic world where Liberals have ruined everything for everyone" -Raptor
Madmarttigan
AG
This just looks insanely boring, have a couple friends getting it but I just don't want to waste money on it.
Formerly tv1113
rgag12
AG
This looks like a Destiny type game. If you have friends that play constantly it may be fun, not so much for solo players that won't be able to do the most fun things.

My prediction is that this game dies within a month. It doesn't look like it has the hooks that even a Destiny has.
bearamedic99
AG
that's what is keeping very hesistant about Anthem. Destiny was awesome when I could keep up and when I had friends playing with me but with both decreased, Anthem is a pass.
Prime0882
AG
bearamedic99 said:

that's what is keeping very hesistant about Anthem. Destiny was awesome when I could keep up and when I had friends playing with me but with both decreased, Anthem is a pass.
I want to be excited for Anthem, but knowing who is involved has me much more wary. ME: Andromeda was the straw the broke the camel's back for pre-ordering games, in general. Rockstar and CD Project Red are probably the only two companies I have faith in anymore. I do stupidly buy xpacs for Destiny 2, but that has much more to do with enjoying playing with the people on this board than the product itself.

Sadly, Bethesda and Blizzard used to be at the tippity top of developers I wouldn't doubt for creating a quality product, but FO 4 and Diablo III (standard) have led me to believe they're not making the same quality they were known for. I've found myself only buying one or two games a year here the last 4 -5 years and don't see that changing.
Madmarttigan
AG
I am optimistic about anthem but if it sucks I will probably give division 2 a shot. Either way both games look to have way more exciting gameplay and depth than 76.
Formerly tv1113
AtlAg05
AG
tv1113 said:

I am optimistic about anthem but if it sucks I will probably give division 2 a shot. Either way both games look to have way more exciting gameplay and depth than 76.

Division 2 is the only game I'm planning on buying. Been grinding the shields in the first one, hoping the second picks up gameplay-wise where he first one is.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.