I have joined the mechanical keyboard revolution

6,287 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cappy407
aggiebq03+
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Are you able to save the lighting effects, or only the static profile? I had no trouble saving a static profile to the keyboard before taking to my office.
chigger
AG
So I have a Corsair K65 at home that I love. I don't type on it much though.

My biggest issue is that there are NO good ergonomic mechanical keyboards. One of my friends and I have tried out all the main ones available. All I want is a Microsoft 4000 in mechanical form. Is that too much to ask???
Tom Cardy
AG
Reddit Mechanical Keybords might surprise you.

Similar form factor: Ergodox, Atreus are a couple notable off the top of my head. No numpad or dedicated function keys.
chigger
AG
Yeah we've looked at all of them. We've tried Truly, Kinesis, Matias... I have two friends with Ergodox. My biggest problem is that I just don't like the separate/split keyboard concept. The Atreus is like the Truly with that weird staggered style.

I literally just want the Microsoft 4000 in a mechanical form. No one makes one like that. If Kinesis would make their Maxim keyboard in a mechanical, that would be the closest. Maybe someday.
eric76
AG
I started trying out an iMac as my primary workstation last week. The keyboard the iMac came with really sucks.

The obvious question is whether iMacs need a keyboard especially meant for an Apple or will any PC USB keyboard work.

If it takes a special keyboard to be compatible with an iMac, does anyone have any suggestions on a great mechanical keyboard for it? If not, what are the better mechanical keyboards now?
eric76
AG
After some reading, it appears that most keyboards are, in fact, compatible.

That makes me wonder how the keys map. On a typical windows style keyboard, it has a control key, a windows key, and an alt key. On the Mac keyboard I'm using at the moment, it has a control key, an options key, and an apple key.

I wonder how these map on the other keyboard.
Aero95
AG
chigger said:

I literally just want the Microsoft 4000 in a mechanical form. No one makes one like that. If Kinesis would make their Maxim keyboard in a mechanical, that would be the closest. Maybe someday.

I'm in the same boat, and would love to try a mechanical board. Unfortunately my wrists cannot tolerate a regular keyboard for very long.

Does anyone know of an MS 4000 style clone?
TXAGBQ76
AG
I used to rep Keytronic and for years sold them all of their portable keyboards and sold a large majority of their desktop versions also. I sold 33% of Keytronics total sales for about 13 years.

Started at $72 each unenclosed with no cable for a capacitive keyboard, eventually went to $33. Eventually the Japanese came in at $9 and my license to print money was over.
F1uxCapacitor
AG
I got a Logitech K840 a couple of months ago and love it. I was a bit skeptical since they developed their own key switches instead of using Cherry MX, but I've been nothing but pleased, especially given the price point.
Jasomania
AG
Mechanical keyboards are so two thousand and late. It's all about the mechanical mouse now.

Cappy407
AG
There was something I found oddly satisfying when cleaning out the the gunk stuck to the rollers.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.