IPhone 10th Birthday Is June 29th

4,672 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by G Martin 87
NormanAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/happy-10th-birthday-iphone/

Quote:

In June 2007 Apple released the very first iPhone - an iPod, phone and Internet connection all in one, operated via touchscreen and as futuristic-looking as a sci-fi gizmo. The earliest iPhone didn't have all the features or apps it has today, but it was revolutionary nonetheless.
Whether you love Apple or hate Apple, you have to admit the IPhone was a game changer. Our son (27 at the time) was one of the many who stood in line for 3 hours at an Apple store to get a phone the day it was released. My wife and I didn't get our's until a year or so later, but have had them ever since. We always trade ours in when a new model comes out - for the one that is being replaced. So we are always one model behind - but it's much cheaper that way.

We also both have IPADS, but we never switched to Macs. (My wife is a retired IT person who worked on Windows machines for 20 years.)

Considering how much smartphones - of all makes and models - seem to have become ubiquitous in our society and in countries around the world it is hard for me to imagine the first one came out just 10 years ago. From an old fart's perspective, the world moves much, much faster than it did in my younger days. But my wife and I do try and keep up with the times.
ldelriego
93MarineHorn
I got a new Iphone thru work and I love it. Very user friendly for this old guy who sux at tech.
Capt. Augustus McCrae
AG
Crap, overpriced, still can't do anything as good as an android, but still claims to be revolutionary even though they're a year behind Samsung, phones.
fasthorse05
NormanAg said:

Quote:

In June 2007 Apple released the very first iPhone - an iPod, phone and Internet connection all in one, operated via touchscreen and as futuristic-looking as a sci-fi gizmo. The earliest iPhone didn't have all the features or apps it has today, but it was revolutionary nonetheless.
Whether you love Apple or hate Apple, you have to admit the IPhone was a game changer. Our son (27 at the time) was one of the many who stood in line for 3 hours at an Apple store to get a phone the day it was released. My wife and I didn't get our's until a year or so later, but have had them ever since. We always trade ours in when a new model comes out - for the one that is being replaced. So we are always one model behind - but it's much cheaper that way.

We also both have IPADS, but we never switched to Macs. (My wife is a retired IT person who worked on Windows machines for 20 years.)

Considering how much smartphones - of all makes and models - seem to have become ubiquitous in our society and in countries around the world it is hard for me to imagine the first one came out just 10 years ago. From an old fart's perspective, the world moves much, much faster than it did in my younger days. But my wife and I do try and keep up with the times.
Within the last 2-3 years, I've come to the conclusion this was the biggest change in the world. To me, it used to be the Gutenberg's printing press, but as of 2007, it's the Iphone. It used to just be high school kids, but now adults have their heads buried in the phones.

I hate to think what would happen if we had a massive solar flare that knocked out our satellites for one day!
bmks270
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

Crap, overpriced, still can't do anything as good as an android, but still claims to be revolutionary even though they're a year behind Samsung, phones.

I tried android. It technically on paper had more features and was more advanced, but I just liked the iOS better, so went back to it after a year.
NormanAg
AG
Would there even BE an android phone if the iPhone hadn't come first? As I posted - you have to admit the iPhone was revolutionary.

But "revolutions" like that only happen once - everything that comes after it is derivative. No smart phone vendor - including Apple - should still be using the term "revolutionary" IMO.
Icecream_Ag
S
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

at this point iphone and android have stolen each others greatest pieces so much that the only difference is the phone manufacturers.

Apple is the king at taking things that work from others and making everyone believe they came up with them though.
Icecream_Ag
S
NormanAg said:

Would there even BE an android phone if the iPhone hadn't come first? As I posted - you have to admit the iPhone was revolutionary.

But "revolutions" like that only happen once - everything that comes after it is derivative. No smart phone vendor - including Apple - should still be using the term "revolutionary" IMO.
What made iPhone so revolutionary was that it was marketed to the young adult and not the business professional like most smart phones of the time were. It was the phone for everyone...and to replace the brand new ipod touch that only worked for 7 months...

ProgN
fasthorses05 said:

NormanAg said:

Quote:

Within the last 2-3 years, I've come to the conclusion this was the biggest change in the world. To me, it used to be the Gutenberg's printing press, but as of 2007, it's the Iphone. It used to just be high school kids, but now adults have their heads buried in the phones.

I hate to think what would happen if we had a massive solar flare that knocked out our satellites for one day!
I'd grab some beer and go fishing.
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

It used to just be high school kids . . .
I do think high school kids, college kids, and young adults use smartphones in much different ways than older adults. We have a grandson who is sophomore in college. Our daughter's family is on our "family plan" and she pays us for the service her family uses.

Every month our grandson uses very few "talk" minutes but sends and receives THOUSANDS of text messages. (our plan has unlimited talk minutes and texts). We also have a 10 GB data plan and he usually uses 8GB of it every month. He has even used enough to go over the limit several times - but HE owes me the $15 overage charge when he does that.

Our daughter tells me it is not unusual for younger folks to text WAY more than talk on their phones, but I have a really hard time understanding that. I would much prefer to talk to someone than text - but I do text once in awhile.

To me anyway, texting (and tweeting) is a really piss poor way to communicate - the message you are trying convey is too short and open to all kinds of misinterpretation and misunderstanding - which can be easily cleared up when you are actually TALKING to someone. Much harder to do with texts and tweets.

But then, I'm just an old fart - what do I know about this newfangled technology?

stetson
AG
No doubt the iPhone was revolutionary. My kids have iPhones, but I prefer the Android as I find the I phone to be too proprietary. I don't like having to install the memory hog iTunes to work with it on my computer, but rather prefer to connect my phone to a computer and drag and drop files. I also LOVE swyping. I have to say, however, that iPhones have the best cameras.
BenFiasco14
AG
NormanAg said:

Quote:

I do think high school kids, college kids, and young adults use smartphones in much different ways than older adults. We have grandson who is sophomore in college. Our daughter's family is on our "family plan" and she pays us for the service her family uses.

Every month our grandson uses very few "talk" minutes but sends and receives THOUSANDS of text messages. (our plan has unlimited talk minutes and texts). We also have a 10 GB data plan and he usually uses 8GB of it every month. He has even used enough to go over the limit several times - but HE owes me the $15 overage charge when he does that.

Our daughter tells me it is not unusual for younger folks to text WAY more than talk on their phones, but I have a really hard time understanding that. I would much prefer to talk to someone than text - but I do text once in awhile.

To me anyway, texting (and tweeting) is a really piss poor way to communicate - the message you are trying convey is too short and open to all kinds of misinterpretation and misunderstanding - which can be easily cleared up when you are actually TALKING to someone. Much harder to do with texts and tweets.

But then, I'm just an old fart - what do I know about this newfangled technology?

You're posting on a text internet forum....
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
pfo
AG
Apple's IPhone is a great example of why I always try to invest in the most disruptive technology companies. Steve Jobs changed the world and Qualcomm's CDMA chips were instrumental in making mass data transmission possible over the airways.
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

. . . the message you are trying convey is too short and open to all kinds of misinterpretation and misunderstanding . . .
And that goes for posting on this board as well. You might notice that my posts are usually longer than the average for this board - I try to explain my points with just enough detail (and oftentimes a link) so that they are not misunderstood or misinterpreted. But it still happens from time to time.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

People in their 40s fall in the younger folks group on this.

victory!!!
NormanAg
AG
That's interesting. Our daughter is 45 and prefers talking to texting. Our son is 37 and MUCH prefers texting to talking. But he has been that way since shortly after he got his first iPhone - when he was 27.

My wife and I quickly learned that if we wanted to talk to our son we should send him a text first - CALL ME! That was the only way we could get him to talk to us on the phone.
ldelriego
fasthorse05
Prognightmare said:

fasthorses05 said:

NormanAg said:

Quote:

I'd grab some beer and go fishing.
Prog, that's because you likely don't pray to the smartphone God every day.

For the kids I see who grew up with it (since 1998), they've never known a world without it. With adults being nearly as additcted now, it's kind of funny to see parents in the parking lots waiting for their kids. Nearly every single one is studying something on their phone. I could whack 'em, take their car, and they would have no idea who, or what I looked like.

And Norman, you're just too damned mature. You rarely ever have an outstanding reationary post, and make far too much sense!!!!

ChipFTAC01
AG
How can someone have a graphic about the evolution of the pre-iphone smartphone and leave off blackberries?

I still miss my blackberries.
ldelriego
ChipFTAC01 said:

How can someone have a graphic about the evolution of the pre-iphone smartphone and leave off blackberries?

The graphic is "Smartphones"
Lateralus Ag
AG
LBM-Aggie-2014 said:

Agree in all points except auto-correct. Android is the shiznit. But the auto-correct leaves a lot to be desired.
Ag with kids
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Quote:

People in their 40s fall in the younger folks group on this.

victory!!!

I only talk on the phone if I absolutely have to. Otherwise I text. I'm 48.

My dad is 77 and the same way.
NormanAg
AG
Quote:

I have been thinking about this ever since you posted it this morning. I felt challenged (in a nice way) to come up with a better theory about the "biggest change in the world" during my lifetime.

I am hereby declaring defeat and conceding that your theory is correct. What finally convinced me is my very words in the title of this thread.

It's only been 10 years since the smart phone was introduced, but in those 10 years we have seen a dramatic change in behavior in both kids and adults - worldwide.

Just think about it - everyone seems buried in their smart phones now. And I'm just as guilty. If I'm standing in a line at the grocery store I pull out my iPhone and start fiddling with it - more often than not checking in on texags (and no, I'm not joking).

Next time you are out to eat in a restaurant look around you - you will see people of most ages buried in their smart phones. And once again - I'm guilty as well. And the only reason you don't see people that are really old do it is they can't see their phones well enough to read the small print. (My wife keeps telling me I am fast becoming that way as well.

So bottom line - the use of smart phones has spread worldwide at an unbelievably fast pace and among almost all age groups. And BTW - moms with kids as young as 3 give their smart phones to the kids when shopping to keep them occupied.

Our now 8 year old grandson started swiping his parents smart phones when he was 3 to play games - and he also used to call his grandma (my wife) several times a week just to say "Hi grandma - I miss you" - unbeknownst to his parents.

I think that like most things in life, smart phones have had both good and bad impacts on our society. But mostly good impacts. The bad impacts IMO are less face to face social interactions - if you go out for dinner with a group of friends they are more likely to be screwing with their smart phones than conversing and interacting with the other folks at the table, for example.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives I guess.
commando2004
AG
I'm 34 and don't like talking on the phone. My dad, who is 62, tends to call me at inconvenient times (like when I'm eating) to discuss stuff that could have been done in an e-mail.
Mr. Peterman
commando2004 said:

I'm 34 and don't like talking on the phone. My dad, who is 62, tends to call me at inconvenient times (like when I'm eating) to discuss stuff that could have been done in an e-mail.

Complain about it but one day he won't be there to call again and you'd wish you could hear his voice one more time, even if it was during an "inconvenient" time.

Be glad you still get to talk to him. Some of us don't have that luxury with our dads.
NormanAg
AG
I suspect your dad and I are pretty much the same on this.

Most older folks are used to - AND LIKE - talking to people, especially their immediate family. That's the way we were raised.

Younger folks seem to be happier to communicate thru social media (which includes the "email" you mentioned in your post).

It's a generational thing. As I posted above, our 45 year old daughter (who lives in IL) loves to talk to my wife and I on the phone - for hours sometimes with her mom.

Our 37 year old son in California (who got an iPhone when it came out in 2007) much prefers to communicate on social media - mostly texting.

I really do think the dividing line between old and new styles of communicating is generally somewhere in the 40's - and mainly the mid to late 40's.
John Maplethorpe
AG
Mr. Peterman said:

commando2004 said:

Complain about it but one day he won't be there to call again and you'd wish you could hear his voice one more time, even if it was during an "inconvenient" time.

Be glad you still get to talk to him. Some of us don't have that luxury with our dads.

And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon....
NormanAg
AG
Great Harry Chapin reference.
ProgN
commando2004 said:

I'm 44 and it appears my parents have joined my kids in the fun police brigade. They seem to call me at times when my wife and I are having adult time. Those are moments are times that I wished they texted.
MGS
ChipFTAC01 said:

That and I don't see a single Nokia smartphone in that picture when they had 75% of the smartphone market in 2007.
Get Off My Lawn
If Apple has any guts they'll go big-time: wearable, holographic, maybe all out borg implant. If they just go one increment further then Apple has truely fallen to a cowardly post-Jobs coat tail riding money grabbing nobody.
Pro Sandy
AG
I had a palm pilot my fish year, 2001-2002. Even had the Bible on it. I used it at Breakaway when everyone else was still using real printed Bibles.

I was once cool.
PhatMack19
AG
NormanAg said:

Quote:

My 15 yr old will have a group of kids over and they hardly speak a word to each other. They will text each other while sitting 3 feet away. It's almost like they are texting about stuff they don't want me to hear.
Ag with kids
AG
MGS said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

That and I don't see a single Nokia smartphone in that picture when they had 75% of the smartphone market in 2007.
The step from what was available prior to the first iPhone was YUGE!

Yes, a good amount of the tech was available. But, there were a lot of things in the first iPhone that were not really available (multi-touch)...

And the integration into the Apple ecosystem right off the bat was a big game changer.

I am knee deep in tech for a living. I do command line Linux all the time and did Unix before then. So, I'm not a tech newbie.

But, for the VAST majority of people the iPhone is great for them.

Most people don't understand tech. Androids allow tech savvy people to do more. But, most people are either clueless or just don't want to deal with it (that's me. I don't want to **** with tech on my phone after working all day dealing with it).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.