AMD Ryzen chips fully unveiled...preorder starting today

14,949 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamusc
Not a Bot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Looks like we not only have a competitive CPU market again, we may have a new leader in value and performance.

More cores, more threads, lower TDP, and most importantly it looks like they offer better performance than Intel at a lower cost.

They are available for preorder today. I just rebuilt my rig in October so I probably won't upgrade right away, but I love the fact that builders now have some more options. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Any chance Intel slashes some prices or actually introduces new technology at some point to answer?

tamusc
AG
I've been waiting for this to decide which direction to go with the replacement of my current 3570K rig.

I have to say, from everything that's already been leaked and what AMD released today.....they might have hit it out of the park with the Zen architecture. Intel has already announced that they'll be releasing their next gen CPUs this year (the 8000-series called Coffee Lake), though that's going to be yet another iteration on their current 14nm process. In other words, Intel is just going to sit on current tech yet again.

AMD getting an IPC performance jump of 52% percent is huge (which beat even their own optimistic goal of a 40% increase), though their previous architecture was subpar (and that's generous) in regards to IPC and that jump shows in the single threaded performance that's on par or better than Intel's latest and greatest.

Really leaning towards the Ryzen 7 1800X along with the Asus Crosshair VI Hero, though I think I'm going to wait for some real world testing and reviews before taking the plunge. The biggest thing that's preventing me from just preordering those now is the fact that I never really trust a band new platform without seeing those real world tests and reviews first.

Not a Bot
AG
On multi-threaded applications it's pretty clear that Ryzen is going to knock Intel out of the park both in performance and price per performance.

The lower-end chip allegedly beat out a 7700k on Cinebench by 46%, and costs less.
Jason_Ag98
AG
Has anyone actually seen these available for pre-order? I haven't found them so far.
tamusc
AG
The 1800x, 1700x and 1700, along with at least the four Asus motherboards I looked at were all available for preorder on Amazon.

1800x
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-YD180XBCAEWOF-Ryzen-1800X-Processor/dp/B06W9JXK4G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487794172&sr=8-2&keywords=ryzen+1800x&th=1

1700x
https://www.amazon.com/AMD-YD170XBCAEWOF-Ryzen-1700X-Processor/dp/B06X3W9NGG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1487794193&sr=8-2&keywords=ryzen+1700x

Asus Crosshair VI Hero
https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Crosshair-VI-Hero-Motherboard/dp/B06W2L6GBX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487794321&sr=8-1&keywords=asus+crosshair+hero

Edit - Looks like the 1800x preorders on Amazon are already gone.
goodAg80
AG
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_89_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aryzen%2Cp_89%3AAMD&keywords=ryzen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487818159&rnid=2528832011
pnut02
AG
Try Microcenter if you have one close:
http://www.microcenter.com/site/content/AMDRyzen.aspx
tamusc
AG
Nice look at the extensive CPU overclocking controls for the included in the AMD drivers.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-master-overclocking-utility-detailed/
Ronnie Mund
goodAg80 said:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_89_2?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aryzen%2Cp_89%3AAMD&keywords=ryzen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487818159&rnid=2528832011

Nerd.
Jason_Ag98
AG
goodAg80 said:

I have to scroll down to the fifth result before I see an actual Ryzen part, although that's still better than when I tried yesterday and there weren't any on the first page.
Forum Troll
AG
So will these stack up against i5 and i7? Specifically for gaming. I'm currently running an FX 6300 and though about upgrading to an i5 6600 but now wondering if I should go for one of these new amd chips.
tamusc
AG
That's part of the reason to wait for real world reviews, but AMD did show off some gaming stuff during the event yesterday. Performance of the 1800x in what they showed was on par or better than the i7-6900k, but again, games are more dependent on single thread performance. The other interesting part of that comparison is that the 1800x is $500 and the i7-6900k is $1100.

Based on some of the leaked single thread synthetic benchmarks, even the lower tier CPUs (four and six core models) are in the same performance realm as the i5 and i7 CPUs. The 1600x (a six core, 12 thread model) came in at 1888 for single threaded performance and 12544 for multithreaded performance using CPU-z's built in benchmark. For comparison, the i5-7600k came in at 2130 for single thread and 8206 for multithreaded. Most of the single thread performance difference can be chalked up to a pure speed difference (the 7600k is 400Mhz faster than the 1600x) that can mostly, if not entirely, be offset by enabling the auto-overclocking features of the Ryzen CPUs. On the multithreaded side, the 1600x smokes the 7600k, which costs the same (both about $250).

So, using the above comparison, you'll get similar raw performance for games, but the Ryzen should theoretically benefit even more by being able to dump other processes to other cores/threads since it has more (12 threads in this example versus only 4 for the 7600k as the i5's don't have hyperthreading, so only one thread per core) and should theoretically provide much better overall system performance.

Again, that's based on synthetics and the limited gaming performance demos shown at AMD's event has Ryzen pretty much equal to the best Intel has to offer.
tamusc
AG
More synthetic benchmarks, but show Ryzen tying or beating Intel Kaby Lake architecture CPUs in terms of single threaded performance based on IPC (which has been AMD's weakness the last few chip generations).

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-1700x-benchmarks-leaked-beats-kaby-lake-ipc/
jay040
Does 1800x = Corei7, 1700x = Core i5, and 1700 = Core i3, or is it 1700 = Core i7?

Where can I get a breakdown of what's supposed to cmopare/outperform what?
tamusc
AG
jay040 said:

Does 1800x = Corei7, 1700x = Core i5, and 1700 = Core i3, or is it 1700 = Core i7?

Where can I get a breakdown of what's supposed to cmopare/outperform what?
This article has a pretty good overview of the entire lineup.

There are three series of Ryzen chips, the 3 (quad core), 5(quad and hexa core, multithreaded) and 7 (octo core, multithreaded) series.

In general , the Ryzen 7 series is priced to compete against the i7, the Ryzen 5 series is priced to compete against the i5 and the Ryzen 3 series is priced to compete against the i3.

TMoney2007
AG
tamusc said:

Most of the single thread performance difference can be chalked up to a pure speed difference (the 7600k is 400Mhz faster than the 1600x) that can mostly, if not entirely, be offset by enabling the auto-overclocking features of the Ryzen CPUs.
And what happens when the Intel chip is overclocked as well? You really have to compare base clock to base clock, and then overclocked performance to overclocked performance.

The multi threaded performance difference can be expected, but I don't think you're going to see a ridiculous amount of gain in single thread performance because there are even more cores/threads. There is just a finite amount of stuff to offload from the processor working the primary process. If that were the case, way more people would recommend i7 for gaming than they do.

I get that its good for there to actually be competition in the CPU market, but I'm not sure why people are flipping out about AMD finally coming out with a processor that is comparable in IPC, when Intel has admittedly been focused on almost everything except performance for years. It looks like AMD has caught up with where Intel has been for years and added more cores.

That said, I'm interested to see what this will make Intel do. Do they push 6-core into the consumer realm? Do they unleash some crazy architecture upgrades that they've been sitting on for a while? Overall I think it is great that AMD is back in the game. Competition is always good, but an underdog needs to substantially jump ahead of the incumbent to really break things up.
tamusc
AG
The fact that AMD has a chip that should be comparable to the 7700k ($350) in the 1400x ($199) based on some of the benchmarks we've seen is a pretty decent deal. The AMD chipsets have traditionally also been less expensive than the Intel ones they've competed against and that looks to continue with the z270 and x370.

From an overall system performance standpoint, more cores can make a pretty decent difference as Windows can handle more threads fairly efficiently. On the gaming side, multicore optimization has become a bigger deal thanks to console limitation forcing devs to better utilize the lower power, higher core count CPUs in consoles.

Intel has already announced their Coffee Lake architecture (8000-series CPUs) will be released earlier than they originally did (after the AMD benchmarks started leaking) and it will be yet another incremental improvement on the same 14nm process. Prior to the AMD numbers starting to leak out, Intel had announced that the Coffee Lake CPUs wouldn't be released before Q2 2018, now they are being moved up to this year.

Intel has grown far too comfortable being the performance leader and basically sat on that lead for the last three generations (soon to be fourth) of their CPUs. Pricing has also remain pretty well fixed with even older generation CPUs maintaining pretty consistent pricing even as new generation Intel CPUs replaced them. Shoot, my i5-3570k system is finally starting to show it's age in comparison to the current gen and it's over five years old.

I can't speak for everyone else, but the main reason I'm excited about Ryzen isn't necessarily for the actual performance it offers, but the price/performance combo it brings to the market that hasn't existed since the old Althlon/Phenom days, which is sadly the last time that AMD was really competitive. Lack of serious competition has hurt consumers and Ryzen for all appearances seems like it will change that for the forseeable future.
akaggie05
AG
Re: Intel being pushed to take the next step, I'm interested to see what Intel does with the Altera acquisition. There's talk of integrated CPU/FPGA products... Could get really interesting.
tamusc
AG
akaggie05 said:

Re: Intel being pushed to take the next step, I'm interested to see what Intel does with the Altera acquisition. There's talk of integrated CPU/FPGA products... Could get really interesting.
I'm definitely interested in seeing how Intel responds. They have the engineering talent to do some really cool things when they're not being held back by their marketing team (ie, not pushing out really new tech due to lack of competition).

Also, if anyone thinks that getting game devs to support multithreading is an issue, wait until they get asked to make use of FPGA's....
tamusc
AG
And consumers are already winning as Intel chips start getting aggressive across the board price cuts (though this is just a single retailer so far).

http://wccftech.com/intel-amd-price-war-ryzen-processors/
theterk
AG
Keep your eyes peeled for my articles on Tom's Hardware! Release week is going to be yuuuuuge! Feel bad for all the other writers that just focused on Intel stuff past few years. I'm going to be a busy guy with too much hardware on my hands.
tamusc
AG
Look forward to reading it and please post a link on this thread if we don't beat you to it!

Can you give us a sneak preview to a few questions such as:
-Does Ryzen live up to the hype?
-How do you think the new x370 motherboards stack up?
-Any standout motherboards? I know the Asus Crosshair VI Hero was sent out as part of the review kit, but did you get to try any others?
-If Ryzen does live up to the hype, are you confident in the current motherboards or would one be better off waiting for the next round of offerings in a few months?
tamusc
AG
http://wccftech.com/intel-playing-dirty-undercut-amd-ryzen/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-6950x-7700k-cpu-benchmarks/

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-gaming-benchamrks/
tamusc
AG
Well this is a bit of a bummer if true, though not surprising when dealing with an entirely new platform. At least this can be fixed with a BIOS update.

http://www.mobipicker.com/amd-ryzen-high-frequency-ddr4-memory-issue/amp/
wee_ag
AG
Ok, help me out. It's been 10+ years since I've built a PC. I game (eventually adding the Vive), photo edit and video edit (all in about equal measures). These new-fangled Roz chips confuse wee. I know the multi-threading is good for the photo/video edit and rather worthless for gaming and was looking at an i7 of some sort (for the hyper threading) when I get around to building a PC. Now, where do these Ryzens chips fit into the equation? It looks like the 7 series equate to the i7, but what's up with the X, Pro and non-labeled version? And do the 5 series have the hyper threading, making them a more economical choice?

I've been reading up on the articles, but I'm not finding the answers I seek.

Thanks for any help.
tamusc
AG
All of the Ryzen (3,5 and 7 series) chips have hyperthreading like the i7. Hyperthreading just means they can run two threads per core. The x designation at the end of a Ryzen chip model (like the 1700x) means it's a black
Edition. Previously, this meant that it had an unlocked multiplier (like the Intel chips that end in k, like the 7700k), but all Ryzen chips now come with an unlocked multiplier. The x (black edition) means the chip XFR (extended frequency range) that auto-over clocks the CPU some beyond its normal turbo boost speed (usually about an extra 100Mhz, it would seem) if the cooling allows it.

I'm not sure what the Pro designation means though.

Edit- found this regarding the Pro designation, but it's speculation as well

"Notice that each group includes "X" and "Pro" variants. The "X" designation could indicate that the processor is ideal for overclocking even though all Ryzen chips are unlocked. The "Pro" designation could mean that the processor targets workstations and servers in the enterprise market. As an example, AMD tacked on the "Pro" label to its latest APUs targeting businesses in October of 2016 that include AMD's Secure Processor technology for creating a secure environment throughout the PC"

Edit- I was wrong about the Ryzen 3 series when I said they have hyperthreading. They only have one thread per core like the i5 and i3.
theterk
AG
since the NDA is still active, it's difficult to get information from AMD and as you know, not a lot of accurate detail out on the web. Vendors have only just started shipping review samples out, so I'm gonna be super busy these next few nights.
wee_ag
AG
tamusc said:

All of the Ryzen (3,5 and 7 series) chips have hyperthreading like the i7. Hyperthreading just means they can run two threads per core. The x designation at the end of a Ryzen chip model (like the 1700x) means it's a black
Edition. Previously, this meant that it had an unlocked multiplier (like the Intel chips that end in k, like the 7700k), but all Ryzen chips now come with an unlocked multiplier. The x (black edition) means the chip XFR (extended frequency range) that auto-over clocks the CPU some beyond its normal turbo boost speed (usually about an extra 100Mhz, it would seem) if the cooling allows it.

I'm not sure what the Pro designation means though.

Edit- found this regarding the Pro designation, but it's speculation as well

"Notice that each group includes "X" and "Pro" variants. The "X" designation could indicate that the processor is ideal for overclocking even though all Ryzen chips are unlocked. The "Pro" designation could mean that the processor targets workstations and servers in the enterprise market. As an example, AMD tacked on the "Pro" label to its latest APUs targeting businesses in October of 2016 that include AMD's Secure Processor technology for creating a secure environment throughout the PC"
Awesome - Blue Parachute for you!

I'm looking forward to the benchmarks coming out soon. Really hoping I can swing the lower priced 5 series that will meet my needs for video/photo editing. Here's to hoping for some good benchmarking.
tamusc
AG
theterk said:

since the NDA is still active, it's difficult to get information from AMD and as you know, not a lot of accurate detail out on the web. Vendors have only just started shipping review samples out, so I'm gonna be super busy these next few nights.

Thanks for the response. Look forward to reading your reviews!
tamusc
AG
No problem! Looking to replace my old 3570k PC in the next few months, so I've really been digging in to what info I can find. I helped a friend build a 6850k a few months back and could really see the improvement additional cores provided with overall system performance, which is why I held off just building a 7700k system for myself.

Edit- see my edit above about the Ryzen 3 series. The 3 series chips do not have hyperthreading and only have one thread per core like the i5 and i3.
tamusc
AG
Whelp, the official reviews are starting to roll in.

TLDR version, Ryzen provides the expected workstation and general system performance seen in the leaked benchmarks, BUT it lags behind Intel chips in gaming, in some cases by a decent amount.

Looks like AMD needs to ramp up clock speed and tweak a few things for Ryzen 2 for gaming, but overall should have a very positive impact the CPU market in general.

It looks like for now if you're focus is on gaming, you're better off with a 7700k system, but if you're looking to build a general use workstation (with some lighter gaming on the side) and don't want to drop a grand on a CPU, then Ryzen looks like a solid option.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/03/amd-ryzen-review/

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1800x-cpu,4951.html

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11170/the-amd-zen-and-ryzen-7-review-a-deep-dive-on-1800x-1700x-and-1700

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3176191/computers/ryzen-review-amd-is-back.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/patrickmoorhead/2017/03/02/amd-ryzen-desktop-amd-said-it-would-be-awesome-and-it-is/#f2d11ae2d483
Forum Troll
AG
Quote:

BUT it lags behind Intel chips in gaming, in some cases by a decent amount.

Looks like AMD needs to ramp up clock speed and tweak a few things for Ryzen 2 for gaming, but overall should have a very positive impact the CPU market in general.
All I needed to know. You can get an Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake 4.2 GHz LGA 1151 Boxed Processor for 299 at microcenter.

From Tom's Hardware:
Quote:

It's hard to recommend the Ryzen 7 1800X over Intel's lower-cost quad-core chips for gaming, especially given the Core i7-7700K's impressive performance. That's not a knock against AMD, specifically. After all, we say the same thing about Intel's own Broadwell-E CPUs. High-end Kaby Lake processors constantly challenge pricier competitors, and the flagship -7700K sells for $350. Even after down-clocking the -7700K to 3.8 GHz, it still beats Ryzen 7 1800X in nearly every game in our suite. Those issues would only be exacerbated on a Ryzen 7 1700X, which operates at lower clock rates.
The Ryzen 7 1800x is 499.
tamusc
AG
That's kind of where I'm at too. I do use my system for video editing and content creation, but my real focus (for my home PC, at least) is gaming.

I really do appreciate what AMD has done with the Zen core chips and it sounds like they have a pretty good idea of what they need to focus on for improvement for the 2nd gen Ryzen chips. I also like the fact that Ryzen has already forced price cuts on Intel chips, so looks like I'll save a decent chunk of change.
theterk
AG
My only qualm with the Tom's article is that everything was tested w/ the Nvidia 1080. If you noticed, as they ramped up resolution, the gap starts to decrease. And the average numbers they listed at 1080p are well above 60fps. I am eagerly awaiting the GPU walkthrough from those guys.
tamusc
AG
theterk said:

My only qualm with the Tom's article is that everything was tested w/ the Nvidia 1080. If you noticed, as they ramped up resolution, the gap starts to decrease. And the average numbers they listed at 1080p are well above 60fps. I am eagerly awaiting the GPU walkthrough from those guys.
The narrowing margins at higher resolutions means that the video card is becoming more and more of the bottleneck rather than the CPU, right?
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.