AMD Ryzen chips fully unveiled...preorder starting today

14,947 Views | 122 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tamusc
caleblyn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I forgot to mention that I had to change the RAM and upgraded to ADATA 16gb 2400. I was under a budget and went this route rather than the 3000 which would require the update of bios.

Now I am in the software world. I had a retail version of W10 which transferred via my Microsoft acct.

I used to go the free route on antivirus. This time I am purchasing Bitdefender.

Already own a copy of office.

There are two things left to find. I have always used Lightroom but I was using v2 and it is now v6. I also do not have the install files. So I plan to purchase a photo editor/manager/organizer. The second is a video authoring program. I used Sony Vegas with Architect in the past. I will be taking a different route this time.
tamusc
AG
To the new announcement of the 8 core Ryzen Threadripper 1900x is very interesting. It's a similar approach that Intel is taking with the x299 in that it offers a less expensive (though still $549 in this case) offering on the x399 platform.

The difference between what AMD is doing with x399 versus what Intel is doing with the x299 platform is that AMD isn't offering gimped CPUs like Intel is. So far, every Threadripper model supports quad channel DDR4 memory and the full 64 PCIe lanes. So, the only difference between the three (so far) Threadripper models will be core count (8, 12 and 16) and speeds.

Compare that to Intel that is segmenting their x299 platoform by core count (4 all the way up to 18), speeds, memory channels (dual and quad channel) AND PCIe lanes. That breadth of options has led to pretty much a CF for the board makers to support all of that on one platform and no matter what CPU you use, you're paying for a bunch of stuff on each x299 mobo that you'll never use.

Can't wait to see the Threadripper reviews on August 10th. Hopefully terk will have something for us to read as wel!
theterk
AG
Given the fact that I didn't receive an X370 board until launch day, it'll be a while if I get to Threadripper. I don't even know if I'm going to be doing those, I sure hope so!

My main thing w/ Threadripper is the PCIe lanes. 64 lanes are massive. Even if on board devices consume half of those, that's 32 lanes of extra stuff. Here's what I would do

GPU x16
Raid x4
NVMe x4
Network Controller (10Gb E or Fiber to my servers) x4
Capture Card x4
tamusc
AG
Yeah, the PCIe lanes and quad channel memory really have me looking at the 8-core TR chip (1900x). I can run two 1080 Ti's at full 16x AND have three NVMe drives AND 10 Gb Ethernet and still have 12 lanes to spare in addition to whatever is connected to the chipset controller which shares the remaining 4 lanes.

On top of that, AMD said that the TR cores are binned to run at lower power than the current Ryzen chips. So theoretically, they should overclock better than what we're currently seeing with Ryzen which typically top out around 4 GHz.
cr0wbar
AG
bah - this might push me over the edge on Aug 31. Gonna need a bigger boat
tamusc
AG
cr0wbar said:

bah - this might push me over the edge on Aug 31. Gonna need a bigger boat

Yeah, I almost jumped on Ryzen at launch, then decided to wait on the BIOS and memory compatibility issues to sort themselves out. Then when that started looking good, I was about to pull the trigger and AMD announced Threadripper. I don't need THAT many cores currently, but I wanted to wait and see if they released a lower core version. Lo and behold, here's the 8 core Threadripper that looks like it addresses a few of my biggest complaints about Ryzen, lack of PCIe lanes and true high end motherboards.
theterk
AG
I got bad news, I won't be covering Threadripper. If y'all complain and say "GET TERK THREADRIPPER" enough maybe they'll understand.
tamusc
AG
That's some BS. They pull you off of AMD when AMD finally has a truly disruptive HEDT platform??
91AggieLawyer
AG
Instead of a new thread, I'll jump on this.

If you were wanting to build a system solely for file server/NAS/backup, what chip and mobo combo would you use? I want it to last a while (~5 years). Currently, I have a ~2010 Dell desktop with a 1TB hard drive in there running FreeBSD and performing Time Machine backups of my Mac desktop. While that works fine, I'd rather move this operation to a dedicated server machine with 4 4TB HDs (2x on each RAID). The Dell's case limits it to one HD. One of the Raids will be for backup and the other one will be for file serving. Up until now I've pretty much depended solely on online backups but I want a more redundant system. My data is pretty mission critical (just like everyone else's!).

TIA.
theterk
AG
just an update. They moved the reviewer for Threadripper on to other projects, so I will be covering TR4! YAHOOOOOO

I'll post my review rig here and should start seeing my reviews for Threadripper motherboards in a couple weeks.
tamusc
AG
PSA, be careful if you're running a Gigabyte x370 board with the latest BIOS revision.

http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-cpu-gigabyte-x370-damage-burning-bios-update/
theterk
AG
3039 in Cinebench
tamusc
AG
Stock speeds or OC'd?
theterk
AG
stock. 32 threads knows who's the boss
tamusc
AG
cr0wbar
AG
my nerd boner is ready
theterk
AG
one thing I'm digging about the X399 boards is the lack of gimmicky branding (except my favorite fatal1ty boards). everything is super polished and clean.

Granted, I'd hope my Cadillac was super polished and loaded for the price I'm paying.
theterk
AG
finally finished my first x399. main it was painful. the board was fine, but damn software still isn't ready for "creator" mode.

Tamusc, send me an email theterk at gmail dot com.
tamusc
AG
Ugh, sorry to hear that, but look forward to reading you review.

Email also sent.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.