Raspberry Pi builds?

7,789 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ntxVol
boy09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I built an arcade cabinet a while back, I had planned on using a computer to run MAME and emulators and stuff. The project stalled when I got to that part of it. As easy as RetroPie is to set up, I think throwing a Raspberry Pi in there would be a much easier solution.

I tend to lose focus on projects like this once the hardware side of things is complete and I've got to set up the software side.. Arcade, 3D printers, etc...
redd38
AG
I got this bad boy in the mail yesterday:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M4OOY4U
MW03
AG
Built it over a Saturday. Pretty awesome and super easy. Very cool little project.
redd38
AG
Anyone overclocking theirs? I'm probably going to do that this week to get better performance from some of the more demanding games.
bigboykin
AG
I overclocked mine to 1.4GHz, and it seems to be stable (I do get the little power-starving lightning bolt occasionally, but I'm using an old generic 2.1A ipad charger and cheap cable I had lying around). It has definitely improved performance on Ocarina of Time/Shadows of the Empire. Shadows is still pretty sketchy, but Ocarina plays almost totally smoothly. Both were basically unplayable before with lots of pauses, skipping sound, jittering, etc.

FWIW, these are the settings I used:
arm_freq=1400
gpu_freq=500
sdram_freq=500
over_voltage=6
v3d_freq=525
will25u
I have been looking at a RPi for a while now. I ordered one last week, and used this past weekend to work on it. After finally figuring out that RetroPie does not work well without being the only GUI interface on a system, I went with BerryBoot to dual boot between Raspbian and RetroPie.

RetroPie:

Works pretty well. Got it all set up and threw a couple of NES roms on it to test it out. Keyboard works fine, but I bought a 8bitdo NES30 Pro controller also. Getting this to work with it has been... frustrating. It works perfectly fine in EmulationStation, but when I load up one of the NES roms, the keybindings in the emulator are not correct. I have yet to find a solution.

Raspbian:

This is what I mostly bought the RPi to do. I wanted a headless server to house the following things:

1. PiHole (Network-wide DNS ad blocking)
2. Plex Server (No transcoding)
3. SabNZBd+, Sonarr, and CouchPotato(Which I exchanged CP for Radarr)
4. Guacamole (Client-less remote desktop gateway. So I can remote into my home network from anywhere as long as they have a HTML5 compatible browser)
5. JBOD Networked Storage

1-3 Are mostly done, although not configured yet since I have not moved the HDDs from my HTPC to the RPi. 4-5 Coming soon. I actually had Guacamole installed but something was wrong with the config or install, and it wasn't working properly.

I will probably move everything over from the HTPC this weekend. Then I can go from using about 300W to about 5W. Much cheaper!
redd38
AG
I have two NES30 Pros and they both work perfectly. Maybe you got a bad one.
will25u
It works good on the RetroPie menus. Just when I get into the game, the dpad works correctly, but the A/B buttons don't work. When I hit Select it functions as if I were hitting B (I think). Not to mention not being able to us the controller and hit Start/Select to go back to EmulationStation.
3rdGen2015
AG
You should be able to change the input bindings within each game. Weird that it isn't just working normally though.
redd38
AG
will25u said:

It works good on the RetroPie menus. Just when I get into the game, the dpad works correctly, but the A/B buttons don't work. When I hit Select it functions as if I were hitting B (I think). Not to mention not being able to us the controller and hit Start/Select to go back to EmulationStation.
It's doing that for all games?

For Mario Kart 64 I had to change to a different emulator than the default for the controller to work. All other games have been fine with the default though.
will25u
All the NES games I have tried. Maybe it is the emulator? I need to get a few other games of other systems to see. I only really played around with RetroPie one night. The other nights were setting up Raspbian and the other programs.

I am in IT, and have been using PCs since the DOS days, and Linux is a totally different beast. Steep learning curve.
ntxVol
will25u said:

I have been looking at a RPi for a while now. I ordered one last week, and used this past weekend to work on it. After finally figuring out that RetroPie does not work well without being the only GUI interface on a system, I went with BerryBoot to dual boot between Raspbian and RetroPie.

RetroPie:

Works pretty well. Got it all set up and threw a couple of NES roms on it to test it out. Keyboard works fine, but I bought a 8bitdo NES30 Pro controller also. Getting this to work with it has been... frustrating. It works perfectly fine in EmulationStation, but when I load up one of the NES roms, the keybindings in the emulator are not correct. I have yet to find a solution.

Raspbian:

This is what I mostly bought the RPi to do. I wanted a headless server to house the following things:

1. PiHole (Network-wide DNS ad blocking)
2. Plex Server (No transcoding)
3. SabNZBd+, Sonarr, and CouchPotato(Which I exchanged CP for Radarr)
4. Guacamole (Client-less remote desktop gateway. So I can remote into my home network from anywhere as long as they have a HTML5 compatible browser)
5. JBOD Networked Storage

1-3 Are mostly done, although not configured yet since I have not moved the HDDs from my HTPC to the RPi. 4-5 Coming soon. I actually had Guacamole installed but something was wrong with the config or install, and it wasn't working properly.

I will probably move everything over from the HTPC this weekend. Then I can go from using about 300W to about 5W. Much cheaper!
That's a lot of stuff to run on that little guy

A couple of issues I see are memory and network bandwidth.

I am curious about your plans for JBOD. How many drives and what type of file system. Aren't you concerned about possible disk corruption? And how does JBOD on linux differ from LVM?

Edit: Maybe something to consider is buying or building a dedicated NAS server.
http://www.freenas.org/
redd38
AG
will25u said:

All the NES games I have tried. Maybe it is the emulator? I need to get a few other games of other systems to see. I only really played around with RetroPie one night. The other nights were setting up Raspbian and the other programs.

I am in IT, and have been using PCs since the DOS days, and Linux is a totally different beast. Steep learning curve.

Try pressing the A key as soon as you lunch a game to take you to the menu to try a different emulator.
will25u
Going into this, I was familiar with Linux by name only. Boy did I get a wake up call. I have been using PCs since WIN3.1 so I am familiar with DOS. But Linux(Raspbian) is a totally different beast. I am catching on though.

As of last night, I fully have everything up an running. SAB, Sonarr, Radarr, Plex, PiHole, and shared out my two HDDs. Running all that and with Sab downloading a file, I am hitting about ~65% Memory Usage, and my load sits ~2.5. Now tell me if I am reading the load right? I should be good on the load since < 4 (Load 4 / 4 cores) should be OK? I know you don't want to run flat out at 4 or more on the load, correct? But 2.5 should be OK?

I am using this as my external USB HDD enclosure. ORICO 5 bay All I did was share the two HDD that I have in there now. Which I shared SAMBA and my Windows boxes can see correctly. What is the disk corruption you are talking about(Like I said, new to linux)?

I usually only SSH into the box, hardly ever use the GUI, which I think I could turn off? And configure/use all the apps through another PC.

Anything I am missing here?
will25u
redd38 said:

will25u said:

Try pressing the A key as soon as you lunch a game to take you to the menu to try a different emulator.
I will try that next time I load up the RetroPie. BTW... A on keyboard or controller?
redd38
AG
will25u said:

redd38 said:

will25u said:

I will try that next time I load up the RetroPie. BTW... A on keyboard or controller?
controller (or the key mapped to A on the keyboard)
ntxVol
will25u said:

Going into this, I was familiar with Linux by name only. Boy did I get a wake up call. I have been using PCs since WIN3.1 so I am familiar with DOS. But Linux(Raspbian) is a totally different beast. I am catching on though.
Throw away the mouse and learn the command line. It is a different world but it is also a powerful and elegant way of getting things done. It does take some time to master.

Quote:

As of last night, I fully have everything up an running. SAB, Sonarr, Radarr, Plex, PiHole, and shared out my two HDDs. Running all that and with Sab downloading a file, I am hitting about ~65% Memory Usage, and my load sits ~2.5. Now tell me if I am reading the load right? I should be good on the load since < 4 (Load 4 / 4 cores) should be OK? I know you don't want to run flat out at 4 or more on the load, correct? But 2.5 should be OK?
If you are sitting at 2.5 while idle I might be a little concerned. There are some big differences between an ARM architecture vs a modern Intel PC. An Intel PC with a quad core processor would give you 8 virtual 32 bit cores. The Pi memory speed is 1/4 as fast, you have a USB 2.0 interface to your disk, and a 100mb network interface. Those load numbers basically represent wait states or threads waiting to access memory, disk, network...etc. That could be a problem when you basically try to turn a Pi into a server...it's I/O interfaces are too slow.

As for memory, that is hard to quantify on linux because the kernel will run large caches in memory (even when idle) that will be quickly disposed when it needs it. Raspbian doesn't use a swap space either which is good and bad. If the kernel has to free memory that would normally be swapped out to disk then it becomes a double whammy and the system could really slow to a crawl or even crash. But I think the I/O is where your real bottleneck will be felt.

Quote:

I am using this as my external USB HDD enclosure. ORICO 5 bay All I did was share the two HDD that I have in there now. Which I shared SAMBA and my Windows boxes can see correctly. What is the disk corruption you are talking about(Like I said, new to linux)?
First of all, I want to state that I hate Samba, it is a necessary evil perpetrated by MS's internal policies of basically not playing well with others. It is a perfect example of MS SW bloat and, it seems to me, I spend more time tweaking Samba than anything else that just simply works out of the box.

You should really test that functionality by doing multiple simultaneous transfers of large files. Maybe you get lucky and it just works. Samba likes to utilize jumbo network frames and it depends on the network interface drivers as to how well that will work well on a Pi. But again, I/O speed could become a bottleneck.

IMHO, file sharing may be too much for the PI. A much more robust solution would be to build or buy a dedicated NAS and mount whatever files the Pi needs using NFS. NFS is the native *NIX network file system and it's both fast and lightweight compared to Samba.

My question about disk corruption was in reference to JBOD. I am not familiar with that but I read a little about it and it sounds a lot like LVM (Logical Volume Management). With LVM you create one file system that can span multiple disks of various sizes. If one of those disks becomes corrupted however, you lose the entire file system,
similar to losing a HDD with RAID 0. That is only a concern if you are worried about file integrity. If you have a robust backup solution then that may not be a concern.

Quote:

I usually only SSH into the box, hardly ever use the GUI, which I think I could turn off? And configure/use all the apps through another PC.
I would dump the GUI, X windows has always been a memory pig.
Wildmen03
AG
New Pi Zero W released.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/new-10-raspberry-pi-zero-comes-with-wi-fi-and-bluetooth/

Quote:

The "Raspberry Pi Zero W" is an updated version of the Raspberry Pi Zero. While it lacks some niceties, like Ethernet and full-sized USB-A ports, it's smaller than the flagship Pi and a fraction of the cost. The original Raspberry Pi Zero was released in November 2015 at a price of just $5/4. The new Pi Zero W is almost identical to the original, but doubles the price to $10 and adds a wireless chip that supports 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (2.4GHz-only) and Bluetooth 4.0.
Terk
AG
Bought the goods for the RetroPie and doing the project over Spring Break with the boys. It's going to be awesome.
ntxVol
Wildmen03 said:

New Pi Zero W released.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/02/new-10-raspberry-pi-zero-comes-with-wi-fi-and-bluetooth/

Quote:

The "Raspberry Pi Zero W" is an updated version of the Raspberry Pi Zero. While it lacks some niceties, like Ethernet and full-sized USB-A ports, it's smaller than the flagship Pi and a fraction of the cost. The original Raspberry Pi Zero was released in November 2015 at a price of just $5/4. The new Pi Zero W is almost identical to the original, but doubles the price to $10 and adds a wireless chip that supports 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (2.4GHz-only) and Bluetooth 4.0.

This sounds awesome!

Gonna have to get a couple of those. Now if they would just implement a sleep state it could be useful for battery powered applications.
permabull
AG
will25u
Nice. I ended up taking everything off my pi except for pihole at the moment. Don't know what else to throw on there. I have a dual boot with RetroPie, but still haven't messed with that much.
ntxVol
will25u said:

Nice. I ended up taking everything off my pi except for pihole at the moment. Don't know what else to throw on there. I have a dual boot with RetroPie, but still haven't messed with that much.

You may have to use your imagination a little. I have one monitoring my home security system and it can text me updates. I had a problem with my 16yr old son leaving the house and not closing the garage door. So the PI can monitor our network and if no cell phone is connected I can assume no one is home. In that case, if the garage door is open the PI will close it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.