need a new TV

6,586 Views | 72 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Fife
Sailor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would stay away from OLED for now. Color reproduction and black levels are great but they are very susceptible to burn in similar to plasma and they have half the longevity of LCD.
MrJonMan
AG
When I hung the new tv, the wife's first comment was...."is this bigger? Looks smaller"

Ugh......if they made it in a 70", I would be buying it today.
tfunk02
AG
Quote:

I would stay away from OLED for now. Color reproduction and black levels are great but they are very susceptible to burn in similar to plasma and they have half the longevity of LCD.
Burn in is not a big issue.
http://televisions.reviewed.com/features/what-to-know-about-oled-screen-burn-in-problems-causes-image-retention

OLED half-life is 100,000 hours. My Pioneer Kuro Plasma is on year 10 with a 60,000 hour half-life. It was finally demoted from the main tv this year. It works fine with 95% of what you watch. It just gets too dark on dark scenes.

Not that you shouldn't take things into consideration, but I'd take both of those hits to get the better viewing angles, colors, and blacks that OLED provides.

Aggietaco
AG
So you ended up with the 65" Sammy? I was pretty set on buying one during the BF deals, but I wanted to make the jump from my current 59" Samsung plasma to something in the 70-75" range.
tfunk02
AG
Vizio P Series comes in a 75" That should be your go to unless you can spend over $4k on a set and get the Samsung KS9000.
MrJonMan
AG
Aggietaco said:

So you ended up with the 65" Sammy? I was pretty set on buying one during the BF deals, but I wanted to make the jump from my current 59" Samsung plasma to something in the 70-75" range.

Yes, simply bc the wife didn't want to spend the $ on anything bigger & she said that 70" was to big for the room

MrJonMan
AG
The reason it is deceptive size wise is because there is a very minimal border around the tv, it's basically all screen in the wall. Plus we had a 60" hanging there......which is being moved to where the 46" was and died
MrJonMan
AG
I started a new thread asking this but haven't received any responses so I will post it here too

Does anyone know if I have to connect everything separately using the Samsung One Connect?

I've got a Denon receiver that cable and everything was previously connected too. If I just plug the one main HDMI into the One Connect box, is that fine? This is how I have it currently hooked up and seems to have no issues, but just wanted to make sure
Aggietaco
AG
Congrats, I'm jealous. The in-laws bought the curved 8500 model during BF from Costco and it's a great display.
tfunk02
AG
Quote:

I started a new thread asking this but haven't received any responses so I will post it here too

Does anyone know if I have to connect everything separately using the Samsung One Connect?

I've got a Denon receiver that cable and everything was previously connected too. If I just plug the one main HDMI into the One Connect box, is that fine? This is how I have it currently hooked up and seems to have no issues, but just wanted to make sure.
You are probably fine with the way you have it. You may get more lag for gaming if that's a concern. Also, depending on how good your receiver is, you may want to put it on passthrough and let the tv handle any scaling. 4K sources will also depend on if your receiver can handle that.
Matsui
AG
Waiting for the m series vizio to drop more
The Fife
tfunk02 said:

Vizio P Series comes in a 75" That should be your go to unless you can spend over $4k on a set and get the Samsung KS9000.
In the 75-80 inch range Vizio M/P series is a good option? It would be nice if they had a remoteless option for however much less, the last thing I need is yet another poorly-supported Android tablet.
MrJonMan
AG
The Fife said:

tfunk02 said:

In the 75-80 inch range Vizio M/P series is a good option? It would be nice if they had a remoteless option for however much less, the last thing I need is yet another poorly-supported Android tablet.

Tablet is part of what turned me off
The Fife
MrJonMan said:

The Fife said:

tfunk02 said:

Tablet is part of what turned me off
I assumed I was the only one, OTOH I like Samsung's approach of simplifying it all much better and am considering a UN70KU6300 or UN65KS8000 knowing that it'll get moved to the bedroom if/when our 8 year old Philips 47" goes out or the den if we put a tv in there. I'd really like to go with 75" or more, but it just isn't available at a price point I'm comfortable with and probably won't be for another 3-4 years.
tfunk02
AG
The Vizio doesn't just have a tablet. It also comes with a minimalist remote.

I use my universal remote mostly. I use my phone for casting and using the Vizio app. The provided tablet sits there but is rarely used. I can do anything the tablet can do with my phone. Being a Chromecaster before getting the tv makes me like the setup a lot. There are no poorly done smart apps and operating system. It is more minimalist than Samsung.
cr0wbar
AG
Going to be getting either the 65' OLED or QD sometime around Superbowl. Keeping eyes peeled.
tamusc
AG
cr0wbar said:

Going to be getting either the 65' OLED or QD sometime around Superbowl. Keeping eyes peeled.
Quantum dots themselves shouldn't be a check list item like OLED, but rather something to consider as part of the overall picture quality. Now actual light emitting QD displays (QLEDs) are something else entirely, but not likely to hit the market for a few years.

Samsung does use QDs in their current high end displays and it does indeed help, but again, the current iteration is an additive technology that's less important than overall picture.
tamusc
AG
This article is from last summer, but does a pretty good job at discussing the differences between the current QD tech and actual QLED tech that should indeed rival OLED.

https://www.cnet.com/news/how-qled-tv-could-help-samsung-finally-beat-lgs-oleds/
cr0wbar
AG
Understood and appreciate your input. but at this point I cant justify OLED almost double the price of Samsung's higher rated 4K TVs!
tamusc
AG
No problem and I totally understand that. Both the Samsung 8000 series and the Vizio P series are excellent TVs that I've been considering myself.

Keep an eye on the LG OLEDs though as I've seen them (65") all the way to $2300 recently as part of various promotions. There will likely be better deals closer to the Super Bowl as well. That being said, you'll also likely find both the Vizio and Samsung down to around $1300 for the 65" models as well.

So it's really about how much you want to spend and I don't think you could go wrong with any of those options.
IslandAg76
AG
Just bought a Samsung KS8000 65" from Best Buy for $1599 ( I think).
Will be delivered next Thursday.
I looked hard at the OLED-very nice, but as stated is 2x the cost.

Wandering around the store--lots of TV's look Great.
Replacing an 8 year old Panasonic 50" Plasma.

Was told by a not too knowledgeable salesman that I have to wait a week or two to calibrate (get calibrated)...some sort of break in period?
tamusc
AG
It really depends on how much you watch it, but you want at least 25-30 hours (OLEDs and plasmas typically need 100+ hours) of viewing time before messing with calibrations too much.

By all means, you can go ahead and calibrate it when you first get it, but the picture will change some and require you to recalibrate it. If you're doing it yourself and have the time, go ahead and have fun. I just wouldn't pay for a professional calibration before closer to 50 hours.
tamusc
AG
FYI, Wirecutter did a pretty nice review article a few months ago. They picked the 65" Vizio P-series as the best overall TV and have a pretty detailed explanation of why they chose it over the KS8000 as well as a few other popular models.

The article did say that the OLED sets have the best picture, but it took cost into account when making the pick.

There's also a brief discussion about set up near the end of the article.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/
FincAg
AG
https://www.cnet.com/news/where-can-i-get-4k-ultra-hd-tv-shows-and-movies-today/

Is this right? I have a friend at ATT who says a non gamer wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good 1080 TV and a 4K. That they offer only a very limited amount of it and won't be expanding very rapidly. Said wait till 4K is industry standard and stick to a higher end 1080.
easttexasaggie04
AG
What about the Vizio E Series? There are 70" screens available for $1299 right now.
The Fife
tamusc said:

It really depends on how much you watch it, but you want at least 25-30 hours (OLEDs and plasmas typically need 100+ hours) of viewing time before messing with calibrations too much.

By all means, you can go ahead and calibrate it when you first get it, but the picture will change some and require you to recalibrate it. If you're doing it yourself and have the time, go ahead and have fun. I just wouldn't pay for a professional calibration before closer to 50 hours.
Any recommendations for a wall mount? I'm waiting for slickdeals to send notifications for when this model goes on sale hopefully later this month.
tamusc
AG
I don't think that's true at all. It really depends on the size of the TV and the viewing distance from it.

That being said, HDR and TV's with a wider color gamut (WGC) make an even bigger difference, neither of which you'll find on a 1080p TV.

Unless you just want to get a cheap (under $700), big set that you'll want to replace in 2-3 years, I would really recommend getting a 4K, HDR, WCG TV if you were looking to make a purchase now. You can get great TVs that hit all those marks for around $1500 for a 65" now.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

http://4k.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-4k-tv-color-hdr-wide-color-gamut-and-10-bit-color-16970-2/
tamusc
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

What about the Vizio E Series? There are 70" screens available for $1299 right now.
No HDR, so no go from me. The Vizio M series is the cheapest decent HDR series right now, but there are also very competitive prices on the Samsung KS8000 series right now as well.
tamusc
AG
I'd go with a mount from Monoprice that meets your needs from a size and function perspective (full motion, tilt or fixed).

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=109&cp_id=10828

For reference, this is the one I am currently using.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082821&p_id=15869&seq=1&format=2
IslandAg76
AG
Thanks, might depend on how deep I have to drill thru how many menus.
The Fife
tamusc said:

I'd go with a mount from Monoprice that meets your needs from a size and function perspective (full motion, tilt or fixed).

http://www.monoprice.com/category?c_id=109&cp_id=10828

For reference, this is the one I am currently using.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082821&p_id=15869&seq=1&format=2
Thanks. Does it have enough room to hide the One Connect box behind the tv somehow? All of our cables run from the server closet, under the house and back up the wall behind the TV through 3" conduit.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Sorry, what is HDR? I'm not as in tune to all of this as most of you guys.
tamusc
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

Sorry, what is HDR? I'm not as in tune to all of this as most of you guys.
This is an older article, but it does a pretty nice job at laying out the basics.

https://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-hdr-for-tvs-and-why-should-you-care/

Cliff Notes version is that high dynamic range (HDR) capable TVs, when combined with HDR content, give the viewer a vastly increased contrast and color range over existing sets. It's really impressive when you see it and honestly a bigger jump in picture quality than going from 1080p to 4k.

Here's a fun little prank LG did while interviewing new hires. The picture was so good the interviewees thought it was real window and not a TV.

easttexasaggie04
AG
Does DirecTV broadcast in HDR? That's all I really watch.
hph6203
AG
No, they don't. HDR is a greater potential difference in brightness between the lightest and darkest part of the screen and a larger number of colors. The content has to be created as HDR in order to take full advantage of the tech.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.