Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

423,308 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Bregxit
marcel ledbetter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's good to know. I can't afford the Olympus equivalent and I'm fine with a manual landscape lens.
n_touch
Coming in as a complete newbie to photography. I work with restaurants and want to help with getting some pictures for them of dishes and such. Where is a good place to start on learning how to work the camera and understand all the different functions. I have a Canon EOS Rebel with a couple different lenses.
Guitarsoup
AG
n_touch said:

Coming in as a complete newbie to photography. I work with restaurants and want to help with getting some pictures for them of dishes and such. Where is a good place to start on learning how to work the camera and understand all the different functions. I have a Canon EOS Rebel with a couple different lenses.
This book: https://amzn.to/45bHQjT

Then hop on Youtube and search for what you want to learn.

Taking great pictures isn't something you are going to learn overnight. Lots of trial and error.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
I bought that book based on your recommendation several years ago. What a game changer! I'm a complete amateur who photographs mostly landscapes and every now and then wildlife. Book is worth every penny.

Guitarsoup, the book and this thread are amazing!
C@LAg
curious for a ballpark cost to have a lense professioanlly cleaned.

Something large (about the size of a little piece of glitter) finally worked its way into the interior of one of my go-to lenses, and seems to be statically attached to the glass inside so it cannot be bumped out of the way.

approx how much does it cost to have a lense professioanlly disassembled/cleaned?

or is this something that someone can do with a little pre-work (e.g., set up secure/airtight light box and disassemble in there and dab teh piece of gumk to remove it.
it is just in the inside lense element
Koko Chingo
AG
Edit: double post
Koko Chingo
AG
It can be a big range $40 to $100 with closer to $80 being the norm. Some of the variables: Local vs a big online place like KEH or back to the manufacturer. Type (full frame - mirrorless, etc) , size, and brand.

They sell cleaning kits where you wipe a cleaning patch across the sensor. With a physical pice of glitter I would be nervous to do it myself. I can easily get heavy handed with stuff like that.
C@LAg
Koko Chingo said:

It can be a big range $40 to $100 with closer to $80 being the norm. Some of the variables: Local vs a big online place like KEH or back to the manufacturer. Type (full frame - mirrorless, etc) , size, and brand.

They sell cleaning kits where you wipe a cleaning patch across the sensor. With a physical pice of glitter I would be nervous to do it myself. I can easily get heavy handed with stuff like that.
just to be clear. i am not talking about the sensor inside the camera. i am talking about inside of the lense proper. between the outer glass and the first lense inside the lense body.
BMo
On Guitarsoup's recommendation, I had a camera repaired HERE. Not sure if they work on lenses but would be worth a call. Did a great job for me.
bthotugigem05
AG
Can you see the glitter shard in your images from the camera itself?
Guitarsoup
AG
If it doesn't show up in images, I don't worry about it. I've had dust and stuff inside lenses and even scratches on the outside of a lens, but don't bother fixing it unless it affects image quality.

If you send a lens in to the manufacturer for a clean and check, they will likely take care of it. Maybe $100?
Koko Chingo
AG
Got it.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I've been browsing the thread and y'all are all way over my head here. I had an old DSLR in's high school. Got a D90 while in college and then just recently my wife became a coach and so I started shooting action while I was with her at events, the parents love it. I wish I could shoot my sons youth baseball games but it's hard to coach at the same time.

My reason for posting, another mom set up a team smug mug to share photos with parents. Is there a feature that can search for certain faces so parents can find their baby faster?
Guitarsoup
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I've been browsing the thread and y'all are all way over my head here. I had an old DSLR in's high school. Got a D90 while in college and then just recently my wife became a coach and so I started shooting action while I was with her at events, the parents love it. I wish I could shoot my sons youth baseball games but it's hard to coach at the same time.

My reason for posting, another mom set up a team smug mug to share photos with parents. Is there a feature that can search for certain faces so parents can find their baby faster?
Sorry, don't think Smugmug has that feature yet. Google photos does.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I also now have a d7100
Mainly I use a Nikkor af 60mm f2.8 and Nikon dx af-s 35mm f1.8

I also have two kit lenses that came with my old d90 but they're not great compared to those two primes. I'm debating getting a better zoom lens

I mainly shoot family portraits and cheer sideline/action shots
Here's a few I took not related to that

Guitarsoup
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I also now have a d7100
Mainly I use a Nikkor af 60mm f2.8 and Nikon dx af-s 35mm f1.8

I also have two kit lenses that came with my old d90 but they're not great compared to those two primes. I'm debating getting a better zoom lens

I mainly shoot family portraits and cheer sideline/action shots
Here's a few I took not related to that

Wait are you having a conversation with yourself? Forget to switch to your burner?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Wasn't actually, just discussing what I've got and most threads tend to be discussion oriented on discussions boards.

Thanks though, I'll see my way out now
Jabin
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Wasn't actually, just discussing what I've got and most threads tend to be discussion oriented on discussions boards.

I appreciate your posts and your photos were great.

Guitarsoup must simply be having a bad day.
FTAG 2000
AG
Looking at picking up an extra Nikon body.

What's thoughts on D810 vs. D850? 850 seems significantly better for video, but if you take that out, is it really $1K better than the 810?

Or should I look at one of the Z cams (6, 6ii, etc.)? I have several F lenses, so I'd be looking at an adapter if I go this route as well.

Talking general landscaping, family, and some astro / lightning stuff.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jabin said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I appreciate your posts and your photos were great.

Guitarsoup must simply be having a bad day.
I was just confused because I don't see people quote themselves much. I wasn't trying to criticize.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

What's thoughts on D810 vs. D850? 850 seems significantly better for video, but if you take that out, is it really $1K better than the 810?

Or should I look at one of the Z cams (6, 6ii, etc.)? I have several F lenses, so I'd be looking at an adapter if I go this route as well.

So I think the D850 is the most perfect DSLR that anyone will ever make. It is just fantastic in every respect. If you want a camera for landscapes, astro, lightning, etc, the sensor quality between the D800, D810, D850, and Z7 are nearly identical and for that type of stuff, you don't have to worry about autofocus (D850 is the best on AF by a mile until you get to the Z8/Z9.)

If you are just wanting a camera for remote shooting, time lapses, etc, the D800 or D800e might be a great choice for the money.

I love the D850 and think it is a better camera than the Z7, but the Z7II gets closer.

I would really think about picking up a D800 or D800E for cheap (like 400-600 I think!) and waiting until the Z8 starts showing up used.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

So I think the D850 is the most perfect DSLR that anyone will ever make. It is just fantastic in every respect. If you want a camera for landscapes, astro, lightning, etc, the sensor quality between the D800, D810, D850, and Z7 are nearly identical and for that type of stuff, you don't have to worry about autofocus (D850 is the best on AF by a mile until you get to the Z8/Z9.)

If you are just wanting a camera for remote shooting, time lapses, etc, the D800 or D800e might be a great choice for the money.

I love the D850 and think it is a better camera than the Z7, but the Z7II gets closer.

I would really think about picking up a D800 or D800E for cheap (like 400-600 I think!) and waiting until the Z8 starts showing up used.

Thanks Soup. Hope you and the family are doing well.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I appreciate it. And you give great info so that's appreciated as well.

So I'm in a predicament and I'd like your opinion. I have the D7100 I mentioned. I like to shoot lots of things like portrait and landscape but by pure numbers of photos I mainly use it for action.

My wife is a cheer coach and I'm basically the team photographer, most games are evenings and then in gyms and obviously with movement and action. Would I notice a major difference with the 850? Low light is the killer of my photos and finding the sweet spot of proper lighting and minimal noise.

I don't want to have to buy new lenses at the moment so I'm not looking to go higher end. I've seen the 850's on eBay for around $1300, more than I'd like but if it's really worth it than I'd consider it.

Thanks in advance.
Guitarsoup
AG
For action, the D500 has the same autofocus as the D850, but with the crop body, so you get the crop range.

For the low-light + action, a used Nikon D4 or D4s might be the sweet spot. It is lower megapixel (16) but this is what I shot everything for the XFL this year. 16 is PLENTY for nearly every application. Plus the D4's sensor probably has the best shadow recovery.

The other one that would be a solid choice would be the D750. Full frame, 24MP. Solid AF, uses SD cards. The AF won't be as good as the D500, D4, or D850, but it is a workhorse of a camera and will be a noticable upgrade in every way.

Or look at the Z-mirrorless advice the last couple pages. A Z6 or Z6ii would work but you would need an adapter.

DX lenses will work on these full frame bodies (not sure about the Z) but they aren't ideal.
tk for tu juan

Sazerac
AG
I've got an old Nikon D50 my daughter was using.

When you try to take a pic it gives the initial click of the shutter but doesn't complete and flashes Err on the display. If you click the button again the shutter completes but it never captures an image.

Is this worth taking for repair?
Would a D50 still have value?

What about the Tamrom AF 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 macro glass?

Guitarsoup
AG
More than likely the shutter is blown and it is not worth fixing.

Tamron could be sold on Facebook or eBay. Not sure on price.
marcel ledbetter
A D800 with what I imagine is a kit zoom lens just popped up on a local classified add for $350. The little led screen on top is cracked, but the rest is supposed to be in good shape. Is it worth the price? Is the D800 comparable to the Canon 5d MK III in quality?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Yes!

I just paid $600 for a D500
tk for tu juan
Pre-covid years it seemed like Canon would be the first with a global shutter. Guess it is Sony instead…

https://petapixel.com/2023/11/08/why-the-global-shutter-in-the-sony-a9-iii-is-such-a-big-deal/
Quote:

The camera's base ISO is 250, for starters, which is a stop and a third higher than the a9 II's base ISO. Consider the a9 II's dynamic range performance, and the move from that camera's native ISO of 100 to ISO 250 includes about a one-stop reduction in dynamic range. That is not nothing.
k20dub
AG
6 year old son knocked over my camera that was sitting on my counter (lesson learned). Sigma 85 1.4 Sony lens made a clean snap at the base of it. I recently got it and hadn't added it to my insurance coverage yet. Seems like it's the plastic parts that hold the screws on the inside that broke. Is this fixable? Should I try contacting Sigma directly or anyone know of a good repair shop in Houston?

Guitarsoup
AG
Professional Camera Repair on Richmond is the only local place I would trust, if they can't do it, Sigma.
91AggieLawyer
AG
My color inkjet (HP) is crappy -- actually, worse than that. Thinking seriously about getting the low end Canon Pro printer. I'd like to print a bunch of stuff to frame and hang as I've got a lot of frames leftover from my parents house that we cleaned out 3 years ago and nothing in them (did other things with most pics). Anyway, while some frames are "tacky," paint will take care of that.

I realize I can order prints, but I'd also like a color printer for brochures and other projects and the one I have is just awful. Right now, space is a bit of a problem, but I'd like to hear from those who have or have used the Pixma 200, 300, and the top lines of the Canon. Ink use/cost, paper needed, etc.

If I want to just print a basic color page, but not a framing or production piece, does it print OK on regular copy paper?
BMo
Canons and Epsons are the ones I find recommended most. I was looking hard at Epsons due to a friend with a Canon steering me that way. In the end, and even though some of the pro printers were reduced in price, by rebate or instant savings, for myself I'm better off paying for prints. Take a look at printers at B&H Photo. Pretty easy website to look at and compare. Good luck.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
First Page
Page 101 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.