Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

424,394 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Breggy Popup
EW2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Thanks for the awesome reply!... I got some anxiety about availability and options this close to Christmas, so I returned the Canon and got a Fujifilm X-T5 body/lens combo.
Guitarsoup
AG
EW2 said:

Thanks for the awesome reply!... I got some anxiety about availability and options this close to Christmas, so I returned the Canon and got a Fujifilm X-T5 body/lens combo.
Fuji is pretty universally loved by its users. The X-T5 was just released and not sure it is available. Sure it isn't a different model?

It is a crop sensor, but I think that Fuji does better with their crop sensors than Canon.
AggieFrog
AG
Guitarsoup said:

EW2 said:

Fuji is pretty universally loved by its users. The X-T5 was just released and not sure it is available. Sure it isn't a different model?

It is a crop sensor, but I think that Fuji does better with their crop sensors than Canon.

The XT-5 is available if you buy it with a kit lens. Got one with the 16-80mm a few weeks ago from Amazon.
txagB2
AG
Hey guys, I am trying to decide on a digital camera to buy to take photos as a hobby.

I got my dads Asahi Pentax Spotmatic 35mm camera a couple of years ago for Christmas and have used it pretty extensively to take pictures of my kids and my house. It has been fun to use, but I want a digital camera so I don't have to deal with film every time I take pictures.

I like taking still pictures predominately and am not super concerned with film, even thought it would be nice to have. I am not a vlogger or a content creator. Based off my own internet digging and youtube watching I have come to have any eye for the Sony A6400, but I am sure there are other options that might do what I want better. I know the Sony is big for 4K video which is not a big deal for me, I am more after good still shots.

The two I have been looking at are the Sony A6400 and the Canon EOS m50 mark ii. Budget is 1100-1200 or less for initial purchase. I am okay spending more on lenses later on. TIA.
BMo
I am an ex-Canon user that has been shooting with Sony since 2018. First the Canon you mentioned and I am going from memory as I looked at the M camera. An early version of mirrorless if I recall correctly. Canon users can correct that if they can/want.
I owned the A6400 for a while when I wanted to have an APS-C body to compliment the full frame I had. I used it for video a very small amount since that isn't really what I do. It has some nice features for video including a setting for focus that does away with the need for user-assisted focusing. I had to learn how to turn that off for still shots. It is a very capable camera for shooting still photography. I know I have many more shots than the link below but these will give you an idea. Good luck.

Some shots with the A6400

A couple more shots with the A6400

Bald eagle 1

Bald eagle 2
Guitarsoup
AG
Look at my reply to someone else on the bottom of the last page. Several options for same general needs.

Don't get that Canon.
lurker76
Does anyone have a recommendation for a scanner to use with both negatives and prints? I have a ton of 35mm negatives and prints as well as a few slides I want to scan. My wife and I also have many photos from relatives that we want to scan to digital files.
On the same basic topic, what type of storage devices are recommended. Amazon has a 5 TB Western Digital portable external hard drive, but I'm not sure if that is the right device, or if there is a better one available.
I'm sure that somewhere within the 97 pages of this thread it has been addressed, so I'm sorry if it has been, but I don't want to mine through that much data.
Thanks in advance.
k20dub
AG
Let's talk storage. Any of you have a NAS system set up? I have a ton of photos and videos from weddings and need a better system then a million hard drives.
Sponge
AG
I keep all my photos and videos on a Synology 920+. Currently using WD 6TB reds in it. I tend to do all photo editing right on the nas. Video editing on a SSD then transfer finished product.
Guitarsoup
AG
k20dub said:

Let's talk storage. Any of you have a NAS system set up? I have a ton of photos and videos from weddings and need a better system then a million hard drives.
I'm super anal about it.... so lets go.

I keep a working SSD around. Currently using a Sandisk 2TB. Anything I am working on gets copied there.

All edited JPEGs get uploaded to my Smugmug account (previously also the AggieNetwork drive).

I'll transfer edited files to my old Mac Mini, which has the wifi/ethernet disabled, so it is offline.

I Have a WD dual drive external. This has two hard drives and when you write to it, it writes to both HDs idendically. So if one hard drive fails, you can buy another hard drive and drop it in and it will repopulate. https://amzn.to/3GeHMot

I have two earlier models of this 4-bay OWC RAID enclosure. https://amzn.to/3GDtGOQ
It has four identical HDs. I set it up for RAID 5, so there is redundancy

I usually put it on one or two bus powered USBs, that I do not count on for redundancy. More for ease of use.

So Edited pics go

1. Cloud (Smugmug) (JPEG only)
2. WD Desktop RAID
3. OWC RAID
4. External Stand Alone Hard Drive
5. Occasionally, separate HD or two to store at my parents house. I used to keep additional hard drives in my Safe Deposit box, but my bank flooded during Harvey and destroyed all hard drives. I used to do this quarterly, but not so much anymore.

I never use Seagate. Bad personal experience and big companies that use lots of data have tracked failures and Seagate seems to be the highest. I've had very good experiences with WD and GTech/Sandisk.
barnacle bob
AG
I need some upgrade advice.

Background: learned on 35mm, cut my teeth on the Nikon F100, with a collection of fast Nikon lenses.

I dipped my toe into DSLR with the D70. I was never happy with that body, it has since been dropped and collecting dust.

I have been using a Panasonic DMC-ZS100 for the last couple of years. I like the mix of good glass and some analog dials. I never liked the digital interface or navigating menus, but it really has poor low light performance that has me looking at new gear.

I'm looking for a body that does not feel like a toy, has good low light capability, full frame sensor, and some analog controls would be a bonus. I mainly shoot landscapes and stuff on vacation. Not looking for a million FPS.

I really hate to abandon my D series lenses, but I don't see a way around that.

The Z7ii, is in the lead now. Dual memory slots, increased mp over the z6s, and functional grip with useable vertical controls edge it out over the z7 for me.

I don't think I will be doing any video, but don't want to rule out.

Is there any other body or brand comparable to Z7?

With the news of z8 dropping this spring, should I expect 7ii to drop slightly? I don't keep up with pricing trends.

I only shoot for fun, and I don't have a need to the horse power of the 8 or 9 series, but I do want to future proof some, is 7 the move here?

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Hoyt Ag
AG
Looking to upgrade from my D800 body. Part of the reason is battery life sucks and it's a pretty bulky body but has great features. I would really like something lighter but comparable capabilities.

I do a lot of wildlife and landscape so I typically am hiking way back for shots and also am in the elements a lot. On top of that I bring multiple large lenses so weight is always an issue. I also photo on hunts I guide and also have taken 2 jobs this fall to photo and video thier hunts. Not really worried about video, I have other gear I tote around for that.

I know it's a broad question but any pointers or suggestions are welcome. I am in the infant stages of researching a replacement. Budget is 1200 and am a fan of used. Most my gear is from KEH or adorama and all was used upon me purchasing.

Guitarsoup
AG
Z8 is supposedly going to be debuted in the spring. Could be as early as Feb. The Sony version would be the A7RV, which is about $4k.

Expect it to have basically Z9 features (60MP, great AF) in a Z6/Z7 body.

That said, a used Z7ii would probably be more than enough. I have one and it is fantastic.

A Z7 and Z7ii have the same sensor. Z7ii has dual cards and a lot of little upgrade (dual processor, better AF, etc) that I am not sure is all that useful for a landscape camera.

I don't know that the Z7ii will drop in price.

Right now, you can get a Z7 new for $1800, a Z7II for $3k and the Z8 will likely be $4k then the Z9 is $5500k. Maybe the Z7II drops a little, but not a ton.

For a hobbyist Landscape photographer, I would probably pull the trigger on the Z7 for $1800 unless you want that dual card slot. I've been using the XQD/CFexpress since 2012 with the Nikon D4 and have yet to have a card failure. Thats with about 1.5-2MM files taken in 10 years across 6 different cameras.
Guitarsoup
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Looking to upgrade from my D800 body. Part of the reason is battery life sucks and it's a pretty bulky body but has great features. I would really like something lighter but comparable capabilities.

I do a lot of wildlife and landscape so I typically am hiking way back for shots and also am in the elements a lot. On top of that I bring multiple large lenses so weight is always an issue. I also photo on hunts I guide and also have taken 2 jobs this fall to photo and video thier hunts. Not really worried about video, I have other gear I tote around for that.

I know it's a broad question but any pointers or suggestions are welcome. I am in the infant stages of researching a replacement. Budget is 1200 and am a fan of used. Most my gear is from KEH or adorama and all was used upon me purchasing.

D800 doesn't have a lot of value on the used market (I still have mine) but it is a great camera for what you do.

One brilliant thing that Nikon did with the D800/D810/D850 is that the grip used can take the bigger camera batteries.

So get a grip, even a generic like this:
https://amzn.to/3CoLpHm

Grab the bigger batteries that go in a D4/D5/D6:
https://amzn.to/3GHBnUz

You can now use those batteries in your D800. These bigger ones have about twice as many watt/hours as the D800 batteries.

If you want to upgrade to the Mirrorless, the Nikon Z7 or Z7ii would be the D800 equivalent, but you will need the adapter. A used Z7 is currently selling for ~$1300-1400 without the adapter.

The D850 is a stunningly brilliant camera and I think the greatest DSLR ever made, but used is still hovering at 2k. That would take your lenses natively.

The mirrorless Z7 plus an adapter won't be giving you any weight savings.

So I guess your question will be if you want to put on the bandaid of a grip+better battery on the D800, because that camera will be a workhorse for years to come, or save up a little more to get a used Z7 and FTZ adapter.

The Z7 will be able to use your D800 batteries.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Thanks for the input. Thoughts on a Bargain grade keh.com D850? They have one for $1445. I've had hit or miss luck with the BN grade stuff. Worst case I pick that up and if I don't like the condition I can return it.

Guitarsoup
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Thanks for the input. Thoughts on a Bargain grade keh.com D850? They have one for $1445. I've had hit or miss luck with the BN grade stuff. Worst case I pick that up and if I don't like the condition I can return it.

I've had great luck with bargain grade stuff and thats a pretty great deal.

But I would probably go with the mirrorless over it. The catch would be the mirrorless will have shorter battery life. I don't know that Nikon (or Canon) will support the DSLRs forever.
barnacle bob
AG
Who are we using for prints, local or is there a trusted online lab?

I have only used local (Houston), but actively looking for a new option.

Guitarsoup
AG
barnacle bob said:

Who are we using for prints, local or is there a trusted online lab?

I have only used local (Houston), but actively looking for a new option.

MPIX is the consumer lab I recommend. I use Millers for professional work, and they are the same company.

In Houston, ASAP is very popular.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
+1 for MPix, been using them for a few years now and always been happy with the product. Even on larger prints (family portrait, 16x20 I think), the quality is really good for the money.
BMo
I have used Bay Photo of late and with good results.
barnacle bob
AG
Thanks for the gear and lab advice team!

How do you handle color calibration or color matching between the monitor you are using and the lab?

If you are doing a larger print, do you have a small proof ran to verify or just hope for the best?

Thanks!
marcel ledbetter
If you're still looking at a new camera system that's suitable for backpacking, you might check out the micro four thirds cameras. My Canon 5d was dated, but its also bulky and heavy. I wanted a more compact camera that I'd always want to have with me when I was hiking way out in the boonies for work, so I went with Olympus. Build quality is excellent, it's got a legitimate weather proof rating, great lens selection, excellent image stabilization and sharp clear imaging.

It's portability is so good, I take it everywhere I go. I hike in extremely rugged and remote country for work and this camera never gets heavy or interferes with work. These m 4/3 camera are worth looking into.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Thoughts on Sony Mirrorless? I cut my teeth on the axxxx platform before upgrading to full frame. They're awesome cameras and super light.
BMo
FancyKetchup14 said:

Thoughts on Sony Mirrorless? I cut my teeth on the axxxx platform before upgrading to full frame. They're awesome cameras and super light.
I've been on board with Sony since early 2018. You can view a lot of my work at Smugmug or Flickr. I don't hide to particulars of the camera equipment used etc. Happy to answer any particular questions you might have.
FancyKetchup14
AG
BMo said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

I've been on board with Sony since early 2018. You can view a lot of my work at Smugmug or Flickr. I don't hide to particulars of the camera equipment used etc. Happy to answer any particular questions you might have.

I currently shoot on Sony and have since 2018 as well. That was more pointed at the poster who is thinking about a lighter body than his D800.
BMo
Gotcha. Thanks.
Photog
Can anyone recommend a good, lightweight basic tripod? I rarely use one now, but I have one from the 90s probably. It weighs 5.2 lb. Max height of about 5 feet is enough. I'm still using a Canon 7D (I know, it's very old) and if I'm using the tripod it probably has my 17-40 f4 lens on it.

This is the first thing that popped up at BHPhoto and it's 1.5 lb lighter. Carbon fiber version is a little lighter.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1646160-REG/benro_bmrtproablk_mefoto_roadtrip_pro_aluminum.html

I'm just a hobbyist if you couldn't tell. ;-)
marcel ledbetter
I've got this one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/372666158886?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-213727-13078-0&mkcid=2&itemid=372666158886&targetid=4580496732614413&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=418233788&mkgroupid=1230353745471221&rlsatarget=pla-4580496732614413&abcId=9300542&merchantid=51291

I'm happy with it. It weighs about 3.5 lbs and comes with the head on it. Their carbon fiber version is about 1/4 lb lighter and more $$$. I'm a hobby photographer, too and just moved on from a Canon 5D. It's still a good camera, though.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Yellow Camera Fairy came last night

That's a 50mm 1.4 for the DSLR on there left and a new mirrorless 50mm 1.2S on the right

Jabin
Why is the 50mm for the mirrorless so huge? I thought that one of the benefits of the single focal length lenses was their smaller size?
FancyKetchup14
AG
Unsure but I'm assuming it's a larger amount of aperture blades and more internal mechanics. I shoot Sony, and it's crazy how heavy and big their GM line is compared to their "normal" native lenses. The 35mm 1.4 GM dwarfs the standard 35mm 1.8. Even Sigma's Art line is massive. I have a Sigma Art mid zoom and I swear I could use that thing as a blunt force object.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I'm going to be taking some senior pictures of my son. I'm wanting to upgrade my lighting as none of it is portable, but I want to take some outdoor pics. I'm eyeing both the Godox AD400 pro and the Westcott FJ400. Anyone used either of these lights, or what do y'all think based on description and specs?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422940-REG/godox_ad400pro_wistro_all_in_1_outdoor.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560461-REG/westcott_4700_ag_fj400_400ws_strobe_with.html
Guitarsoup
AG
I would look at the 600ws Godox. I have three of them.

Lots of other expenses with lights.

Softbox, speed ring, light stand etc

I would get a c stand or something similar, ideally with casters. A regular light stand with an 8-10lb flash on top with a light modifier catches wind easily and hurts when it falls, being so top heavy
javajaws
AG
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

I'm going to be taking some senior pictures of my son. I'm wanting to upgrade my lighting as none of it is portable, but I want to take some outdoor pics. I'm eyeing both the Godox AD400 pro and the Westcott FJ400. Anyone used either of these lights, or what do y'all think based on description and specs?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422940-REG/godox_ad400pro_wistro_all_in_1_outdoor.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560461-REG/westcott_4700_ag_fj400_400ws_strobe_with.html
I'd go Godox or the Flashpoint branded equivalent from Adorama. I have a few different ones and they are all great.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I've got a couple modifiers, and stands. Really just need the light and will buy the trigger as well. Why the 600 over the 400? Just more power?
First Page Last Page
Page 97 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.