Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,067 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
bthotugigem05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As I count down the days towards selling a kidney getting my GFX100, I did a little write-up on the travel blog about my experience shooting with the Fuji GFX 50s, for anyone wondering: https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2019/06/03/what-its-like-shooting-with-a-fuji-gfx-50s-medium-format-camera/
agracer
AG
Like the Z6 so far. It's been fine for sports shooting (mostly). It will occasionally lose focus on moving subjects (soccer and track so fast moving), then grab it right back again. Mostly with FTZ adapted lenses. Don't notice that all with the native Z24-70/f4.
bthotugigem05
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

As I count down the days towards selling a kidney getting my GFX100, I did a little write-up on the travel blog about my experience shooting with the Fuji GFX 50s, for anyone wondering: https://andystravelblog.boardingarea.com/2019/06/03/what-its-like-shooting-with-a-fuji-gfx-50s-medium-format-camera/

Sold my Fuji GFX, ready for the 100 to come out!
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Man, I just about **** a brick when I bought my new tripod last month, and that was less than $500...

I can't imagine taking that thing on a hike where I might drop it off a cliff and into the ocean...
MBAR
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Man, I just about **** a brick when I bought my new tripod last month, and that was less than $500...

I can't imagine taking that thing on a hike where I might drop it off a cliff and into the ocean...
What did you get?
Blue Duck
AG
Would you recommend the Samyang/Rokinon lens? I've been looking at a 14 mm wide angle one and am intrigued by their 85/1.4 for the Sony E mount as well. The native Sony gets good reviews and is 1.8 but that extra stop keeps crossing my mind. Have you been happy with the Samyang performance?
Guitarsoup
AG
14mm, sure.

Telephoto? Eh, you don't really want to manually focus a 85,mm 1.4
Blue Duck
AG
The one I'm looking at does have autofocus. It gets pretty solid reviews but the Sony 1.8 does as well. Can you put into perspective what that 1.4 to 1.8 difference would mean to a normal guy considering the rest of the specs were about equal?
Guitarsoup
AG
You won't see a lot of difference. I mainly use mine at f/2 or so anyway, even though it is sharp at 1.4.
Blue Duck
AG
That's what I needed to know. I'd prefer to stick with the Sony brand, I just didn't want to miss out on something I might want one day.
bthotugigem05
AG
The Sony 85 1.8 is one of their best lenses for the money, it's simply phenomenal. I know quite a few shooters who owned the much more expensive 85 1.4 G Master lens and downgraded to the 1.8 because the quality was nearly as good and the autofocus was actually faster in the 1.8 (since it wasn't having to move the massive 1.4 front element around).
UpstateAg
AG
I own the 12 mm e mount Rokinon that is manual. It's great. But I use my Sony 50 mm all the time now.
Blue Duck
AG
I've read that same review of the 1.8 multiple places and have just about made my mind up... I just wanted some reassurance.
Blue Duck
AG
They make the one I'm looking at in a manual and auto focus version. I can't decide. The auto is 2 times as much but can always be made into manual focus. It'll be mostly for landscapes so I guess autofocus isn't super necessary. Lens shopping is a terrible habit.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Lens shopping is like meth is a terrible habit.
FIFY

Lens shopping is certainly addictive!
UpstateAg
AG
The Rokinon is awesome. Check out the sigma wide angle too. Buy a good filter though. I ended up having my wide angle lens filter not fit after ordering it and throwing the box in my bag without trying it on first. Sucks, because the sky here is bright and somehow grey and cloudy. Exposure issues galore.
dubi
AG
UpstateAg said:

The Rokinon is awesome. Check out the sigma wide angle too. Buy a good filter though. I ended up having my wide angle lens filter not fit after ordering it and throwing the box in my bag without trying it on first. Sucks, because the sky here is bright and somehow grey and cloudy. Exposure issues galore.
I frequently use a polarizing filter on my wide angle to help with glare/color issues.
UpstateAg
AG
The one I ordered for this lens ended up not fitting. It was a polarizing. Pretty bummed.
labmansid
I only really use the wide angle versions for shooting the Milky Way. They are great for that, and would likely do well for landscapes. Manual focus only is not an issue for me, especially for what I use them for.

I believe this was shot using the 14mm.

Blue Duck
AG
That's really awesome. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking to do with mine. Just to clarify... you use the manual focus and like it?
dubi
AG
I shoot aircraft with wide angle lenses. I have a Canon 10-22 with autofocus and use it very frequently.

labmansid
Blue Duck said:

That's really awesome. That's the kind of stuff I'm looking to do with mine. Just to clarify... you use the manual focus and like it?
Well for Milky Way and astrophotography you just about have to do manual focus. It's not that hard to do once you get the hang of it. I have zooms that cover about the same ranges but these lenses have better optical properties for astro work and are faster.
hatchback
AG
Going to be hiking in the Nantahala National Forest (North Carolina) in a couple of weeks and would like to rent a lens for my Sony A7rii to do some landscape photography. Any recommendations? Currently have a 50mm of my own but would like a wider angle for the trip.
BMo
hatchback said:

Going to be hiking in the Nantahala National Forest (North Carolina) in a couple of weeks and would like to rent a lens for my Sony A7rii to do some landscape photography. Any recommendations? Currently have a 50mm of my own but would like a wider angle for the trip.
I don't have a specific lens recommendation but have rented from lensrentals out of Cordova, TN and they are excellent. Just an FYI. I could have gone out of Houston but the stock of Sony they had was very limited. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Blue Duck
AG
I don't know how big of a concern weight is for you by I have the 24-105 lens for my a7iii and would highly recommend it. It's not a giant lens but it's a little heavier than some of the smaller primes.
TMoney2007
AG
GuitarSoup
What are your thoughts on the new Canon mount?

I'm not in the market for a new body, so I'm interested to see how this will affect the prices of used lenses once the new RF versions of lenses come out.
Guitarsoup
AG
TMoney2007 said:

GuitarSoup
What are your thoughts on the new Canon mount?

I'm not in the market for a new body, so I'm interested to see how this will affect the prices of used lenses once the new RF versions of lenses come out.

Canon and Nikon needed a larger lens mount for their mirrorless systems. They will still use the legacy mount as well
TMoney2007
AG
I haven't researched about it enough to know, but there are adapters for to mount EF lenses on RF cameras.

If there's pretty widespread professional adoption of mirrorless cameras, it seems like it would be hard for them to keep the two lines going concurrently. This would be pretty far in the future though.

I don't know how the best EFV's look these days, so there is still a draw for me to look through the lens itself. If the resolution is high enough, making the viewfinder estimate the resulting photo sounds pretty nice.
Guitarsoup
AG
A lot of pros will continue to use their current set ups for a long time. It would be prohibitively expensive to switch systems for lots of people (which explains why people still shoot Canon ) and the R&D expenses are all paid for on the current mounts, so their lenses there aren't as expensive. I think you will see EOS and F mounts for a long time.

I have a dozen or so Nikon F-mount lenses. Switching over to all mirrorless would take a while and the mirrorless system doesn't meet all my needs.
TMoney2007
AG
I know professionals with big investments in lenses are going to be the hardest to move to a new system. Even with the R&D done, releasing an RF and EF lens to cover a particular market segment is going to be more expensive. I don't know the specifics of it, but if you released the exact same lens with two mounts, you're going to have to compromise on one or the other and probably both.

Even running parallel lines or changing lines over from one to another is more expensive. At some point in the future, they're going to start making new RF lenses that aren't going to have a corresponding new EF version and eventually, they'll stop production on old designs. They stopped making FD lenses even though they must have had a big installed base. They have lenses that they produced for at least 8 years so the cycle is going to be very long.

I haven't researched anything to figure out what optical advantages there may be to the new geometry of the mount and the rear element being closer to the surface of the sensor and I was hoping that you knew so I wouldn't have to actually put that effort forth,...

I don't expect any pros to switch. I'm hoping that as RF versions of the legendary EF lenses come out, some population of suckers who have to have the latest and greatest gear, even if the advantages don't justify the cost. That way the price gets driven down and I can pick them up for cheaper, like when a new generation of a lens comes out and the old, still awesome previous generation, drops in price.
bthotugigem05
AG
TMoney2007 said:

some population of suckers who have to have the latest and greatest gear, even if the advantages don't justify the cost
Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

TMoney2007 said:

some population of suckers who have to have the latest and greatest gear, even if the advantages don't justify the cost

WHEN DOES THE 100 MEGAPICKLE FUJI COME IN?
TMoney2007
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

TMoney2007 said:

Hey man, I wasn't talking about you... I was obviously talking about other people...

Call me if you need someone to take some gear off your hands,...
bthotugigem05
AG
Comes in at the end of the month, but I get some hands-on time with it at Competitive Cameras in Dallas on the June 18th (event is open to all)
Blue Duck
AG
https://fstoppers.com/gear/sony-announces-fe-200-600mm-f56-63-g-oss-and-600mm-f4-gm-lenses-380828

Go ahead and take my money...
First Page Last Page
Page 68 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.