Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

421,039 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
labmansid
How long do you want to ignore this user?
reddog90 said:

So AF-C (AI Servo for you) and single point?
Use VR on my 70-200?
For a fast moving aircraft, I would definitely use the continuous focus mode. Unless there is a distracting background, I would use an expanded focus point setting. Maybe not the whole focus array, but say the central area. It's been my experience that most action occurs in a mostly clear sky, unless there are tall mountains or buildings surrounding the area. Probably not a problem in Shreveport. Too many opportunities for a fast jet to get off of the single focus point, unless your panning/tracking skills are almost perfect. VR will certainly help. I use "back button focus" which allows me to decide when to focus, even if I have the shutter button partially pressed in anticipation of a shot or series of shots. As always, be ready to adjust settings based on conditions.
dubi
AG
Quote:

VR = Vibration Reduction.

I use that on both my 100-400 and 70-200. I always think "IS-imagine stabilization" for that term.
labmansid
Maximus_Meridius said:

dubi said:

Quote:

Use VR on my 70-200?

I am not familiar with VR? Nikon term?
VR = Vibration Reduction.

I wouldn't think it would be useful here. You're going to be swinging that lens pretty quickly, so it may actually work against you here...
Correct, VR is Nikon's equivalent to Canon's IS=Image Stabilization.

I find VR/IS useful most times I am using a telephoto lens handheld. It helps to maintain the composition of the subject in the viewfinder, therefore helping to keep the subject on the desired focus point/area as one example. There are times to disable it, such as with tripod use on a static subject.
Guitarsoup
AG
labmansid said:

Guitarsoup said:

You should all probably completely ignore that teleconverters even exist.
Know how I know you don't shoot little birds?

I haven't found enough rich birds to pay me.
labmansid
Guitarsoup said:

labmansid said:

Guitarsoup said:

You should all probably completely ignore that teleconverters even exist.
Know how I know you don't shoot little birds?

I haven't found enough rich birds to pay me.
Me either!
agracer
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Been looking at getting into photography but just haven't had a chance. Wife and I have a trip coming up that we could use a good camera (currently just use iphones). A buddy of mine is offering to sell me a barely used Nikon D5600 for $200 with some lenses and stuff.

From some research, it seems like a pretty good introductory camera. Anybody used one or thoughts on this transaction?

Yes, as long as it comes with all the OEM stuff (body cap, battery, charger, etc.) that is a good price for a very good camera. What lenses? Probably the kit lens 18-55 and 55-200?
FightinTexasAg15
AG
Yeah he's got all the stuff that came with it when he got it. Camera, covers, 18-55 & 70-300 lenses, bag, battery, charger, etc.

Going over to his place tomorrow for a cookout so I'm thinking I'll take him up
UpstateAg
AG
Y'all fans of Rokinon? I found a guy who is offloading some lenses in the area, and while I'm trying to be picky about my prime lenses, he has them all priced under 200. The 12 mm wide angle is appealing for some Ireland landscapes and sunsets.
dubi
AG
UpstateAg said:

Y'all fans of Rokinon? I found a guy who is offloading some lenses in the area, and while I'm trying to be picky about my prime lenses, he has them all priced under 200. The 12 mm wide angle is appealing for some Ireland landscapes and sunsets.
Go to DPreview.com and search the model for a review.

The cheaper ones do not have IS or auto focus.
Blue Duck
AG
I've got a 5300 and have beaten the heck out of it and it still takes quality pictures.
labmansid
UpstateAg said:

I have a 14mm f2.8 and a 24mm f1.4 that I use strictly for Milky Way/astrophotos. So far I've been pleased with them for that. They are manual focus only.
Guitarsoup
AG
Have the 14mm 2.8 Rokinon. Does a solid job, but I would stick to using them for landscapes. Amazes me people use their 85 1.4 for portraits in manual focus with traditional DSLRs. Keep rate has to be so low.
reddog90
AG
Thanks for the tips for the air show guys. I shot on S at first but then switched to M. I used AF-C, the center array AF points, and used VR on my 70-200. I'll add some pics after I get through post processing.
labmansid
reddog90 said:

Thanks for the tips for the air show guys. I shot on S at first but then switched to M. I used AF-C, the center array AF points, and used VR on my 70-200. I'll add some pics after I get through post processing.
Can't wait to see what you came up with. Hope we were helpful.
agracer
AG
FightinTexasAg15 said:

Yeah he's got all the stuff that came with it when he got it. Camera, covers, 18-55 & 70-300 lenses, bag, battery, charger, etc.

Going over to his place tomorrow for a cookout so I'm thinking I'll take him up
buy it. that kit is $600 new. Assumming everything works (and it sounds like it does).
UpstateAg
AG
Trying out a new Sony 50mm 1.8. Dang. The difference in glass from standard kit lenses is INSANE. Can't go back. Won't go back.
dubi
AG
UpstateAg said:

Trying out a new Sony 50mm 1.8. Dang. The difference in glass from standard kit lenses is INSANE. Can't go back. Won't go back.
Your wallet will never be the same!
FightinTexasAg15
AG
I took him up and bought the camera. Have been playing with it and it's a cool camera.

Anybody have recommendations on articles/books/videos/courses I should look at to get better? I've watched some intro youtube videos on recommended settings for my camera and what the different buttons/knobs do. I also started reading about the exposure triangle and the depth of field stuff.

Most stuff I've seen is just play with the camera and learn how everything works together
labmansid
UpstateAg said:

It's too late for many of us, but hurry up and read this!
Guitarsoup
AG
Read Understanding Exposure by Petersen

https://amzn.to/2VMMLZf
agracer
AG
RFightinTexasAg15 said:

I took him up and bought the camera. Have been playing with it and it's a cool camera.

Anybody have recommendations on articles/books/videos/courses I should look at to get better? I've watched some intro youtube videos on recommended settings for my camera and what the different buttons/knobs do. I also started reading about the exposure triangle and the depth of field stuff.

Most stuff I've seen is just play with the camera and learn how everything works together
GS Suggestion and keep watching You Tube.

Look at the local junior college or local photo stores. Either will have an intro to photography class to help you learn your DSLR functions. I took one like 20 years ago and it helped a bunch.
dubi
AG
labmansid said:

UpstateAg said:

It's too late for many of us, but hurry up and read this!
I'm friends with a guy who shoots for the European Press Agency.

We were discussing some butterflies at the gun range and he told me that he uses a 100-400 for shooting macros. So my desire to get the Canon 100mm macro lens went down on my list quickly.
UpstateAg
AG
GAS is real for pretty much every hobby I have. I'm thankful for Facebook Marketplace, because I found a photographer who lives across the street from my office who just switched to full frame from the A6000. I got his lenses and his contact info/help.

But back to acquiring more gear...
Now I'm looking for a tripod that's solid enough not to shake in the wind, but small enough to walk around in my backpack while also pushing a stroller and carrying (at times) a four year old.
agracer
AG
UpstateAg said:

GAS is real for pretty much every hobby I have. I'm thankful for Facebook Marketplace, because I found a photographer who lives across the street from my office who just switched to full frame from the A6000. I got his lenses and his contact info/help.

Now I'm looking for a tripod that's solid enough not to shake in the wind, but small enough to walk around in my backpack while also pushing a stroller and carrying (at times) a four year old.

Skip to the bottom for budget selections

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/camera-accessories/tripod-101.html
Foamcows
AG
Ive had my Fuji GFX 50S long enough to feel I understand the pros and cons for switching from full frame (5d3) to the world of medium format. Maybe this post will be of value for someone else who is thinking of going to medium format.

Pros: Image quality - the detail I get and the dynamic range can't be beat. Once I figured out how to shoot on this camera, I have yet to touch my Canon. In spite of this being the only pro, it still outweighs all the other negatives below as the main purpose of any camera is to take great images.. Anytime I have an environment in which the camera can focus on what I want to take photos of it will be the only camera I would consider using.

Cons: Poor button design - There is this annoying Q button which cannot be reprogrammed. Someone at Fuji thought it would be a great idea to put it where your grip is so that it always get hit. If you hit this button you lose your focus and exposure locks. If you shoot a high amount of stitched panoramas like I do, this quickly will drive you crazy. It is so bad that I am debating taking the camera body apart to try to disconnect the wires that feed this button.

Poor designed software - Normally I use 2 cards. One large one for raw files, and a second one for jpegs of the same image. I am able to save each to the corresponding card when I take a photo. However, I was out on a shoot and only had one of the cards. I was unable to do anything. I couldn't access the menu to disable the dual output options. I couldn't even take photos. The only way I was able to take a photo was to completely reset the camera, losing all my custom settings.

Mirrorless - because the camera is mirrorless, it needs light to focus. I learned this lesson when in Norway to take photos of the northern lights. If you don't have enough light to see in real time on the back of the screen, then you are literally shooting blind. You just have to point and hope for the best. Because its focus by wire this can be difficult to do, the line between focused on infinity and everything being out of focus is just a few millimeters of turn. In addition to this limitation, you'll have a hard time focusing on fast moving subjects. It might be better on other mirrorless cameras, but its definitely difficult to do with this camera. Was recently in Venice and had a difficult time getting a photo of the Pope being driven around through the crowd on his Pope mobile... its not like they were going fast or anything, but yet the camera still struggled to lock in.

Physics - Larger sensor means larger glass. It is satisfying at first to have this huge diameter lens, similar to the feeling the first time you used your 70-200 Canon. But eventually you realize that lugging around 3 lenses and the camera means you have about 20+ lbs of gear. In addition, if you are someone who likes shooting handheld in low light with a nice wide open piece of glass coupled with a camera that handles the higher ISO's fairly well, you wont be able to do that with this camera. I was spoiled with by 5d3 35 1.4L combo for street walking photos.. Even though they do make low aperture glass on this camera, because the light is spread over such a large area, it makes a medium format F2.0 act more like a full frame f4.

Like I said, the image quality, when you can get the shot, can't be beat. But there are many places where you cant take this camera (especially northern light photos in Norway)... but for those places where you can, there is no other camera I would rather have. Once you get a taste for the quality of photos it can produce you will have a hard time using any other camera.
labmansid
agracer said:

UpstateAg said:

Skip to the bottom for budget selections

http://www.dslrbodies.com/accessories/camera-accessories/tripod-101.html

That is a great article on tripods. I remember seeing it years ago when I was looking at tripods, glad he has kept it updated. He makes some great points about just doing it right to start with, especially if you will be serious about maintaining your photography "hobby" in the future. You will save some money and frustration in the long run.

I started off with, and still use, one of the older Manfrotto PROB type tripods, the one with the "trick" centerpost that can extend horizontally. I never really even use the centerpost, however. It does affect stability if used extended. Mine is the one with metal legs, carbon fiber would be quite a bit lighter, and a better option overall, but I don't go hiking with it really so no big deal. I like the lever style locks for extending the legs, it is quicker and easier than the twist style locks. I got the Manfrotto brand ball head with quick release, but if I had it to do again I would get one of the brands he listed with the Arca-style plate system. That would make things simpler, and I have been thinking of upgrading for a while now. As it is, I never use any lens heavier than a 70-200 f2.8 on this tripod, and it works pretty well for general landscape and standard lens night/low light use.

For telephoto and super telephoto use, I recommend a heavy duty Gitzo carbon fiber like he mentions. They are not cheap, but worth every penny for stability and light weight. He mentions the Wimberley head also for telephoto use, which is spot on. A good gimbal head is essential for telephoto use. The Sidekick is pretty popular as a cheaper, ingenious alternative and works well. There are other brands that have popped up to compete with the Wimberley.

An Ag in CO
AG
Quote:

Maybe this post will be of value for someone else who is thinking of going to medium format.

I made the switch to medium format earlier this year and I agree with most of what you wrote though there are some camera-specific issues that aren't necessarily present in all available medium format cameras.

I'll just echo the incredible image quality and depth of data. Prints are absolutely phenomenal and you can really see the difference between the pictures taken with the medium format camera (in my case a Hasselblad) and my other cameras. There is an additional workout given the weight of everything, but it has yet to be more than just noticeable. We'll see how it fares this summer when I haul everything into the wilderness.
reddog90
AG
labmansid said:

reddog90 said:

Can't wait to see what you came up with. Hope we were helpful.
Thanks. Yes, y'alls tips were very helpful. Here are some shots from the F35 demo team's page #americaboner

https://instagr.am/p/BxnuqwFFQCE
https://instagr.am/p/BxshA_xlZ1E

dubi
AG
I saw those photos on IG; they are fantastic!
labmansid
I believe that group will be performing in Houston this fall. Can't wait to see them in person, especially after the flyover at Kyle Field last fall.
UpstateAg
AG
Got out Sunday night to test out the new to me Sony a6000 and Rokinon 12mm f2 lens. Learned a lot. Got a cool picture of an evening that's unedited.
https://instagr.am/p/Bxs8sg1hI0b
dubi
AG
Let's talk hot cars and cameras.

Is it ok to keep a camera in the car for unexpected photo opportunities?

k20dub
AG
dubi said:

How safe is the area you're driving in?
agracer
AG
dubi said:

. Unexpected photo opportunities will arise more often when you're out of the car so it won't do much good to leave the camera in the car. Also, watch where you're going and please don't photo and drive
labmansid
I keep a point and shoot out of sight in my vehicle all the time just in case. I probably wouldn't leave anything fairly expensive in mine.
First Page Last Page
Page 66 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.