Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,214 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
FTAG 2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can we talk diopters for a minute? Any brand recommendations? Been chatting with Nikon and Ikelite and they recommend a +2 diopter for my 17-35mm when I throw it in my housing and dome for Guadalupe.

dubi
AG
I sent this to hubby for him to respond.
Mr. Dubi
I have no experience with SLR's in a housing. But Backscatter is where I would go with a question. We met Jim Decker last year in Cayman Brac on a trip, he knows underwater cameras and systems.
FTAG 2000
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

I have no experience with SLR's in a housing. But Backscatter is where I would go with a question. We met Jim Decker last year in Cayman Brac on a trip, he knows underwater cameras and systems.
Thanks, bought quite a few things from them over the years, didn't even think about reaching out on something like this.
TravelAg2004
AG
Clay Taylor said:

Looks amazing! We are waiting on ours to ship from B&H...

The color on these shots look great! Are you using one of the built-in picture profiles, or shooting with DJI's d-log? If d-log, are you creating your own LUTs in resolve, etc? Or have you found some LUTs online that you would recommend?
Check out The Film Poet's recommendations. I use his settings on the original Mavic Pro and noticed a pretty nice difference.

claydeezy
AG
Thanks for the tip. Just watched it. Looks like we will be armed with a nice LUT package right out of the gate. Appreciate you!
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
jayelbee said:

What do you guys do with all of your photos?

So I took the camera out hunting several weeks back and played around while the birds weren't flying. I ended up taking 18 shots, playing around with different exposure settings. Some were overexposed, some I tightened up the focal length, but forgot to increase the exposure time so they ended up very silhouetted and under exposed, still others are out of focus or the main subject isn't sharp. In the end, I had maybe one shot that was worth a damn, and even then that's generous.

Do you guys keep all of your photos that you take, or do you cull to keep the best (25%?) of everything you shoot and then go from there to post process or print?

Cull to 5-10 photos? 25% is way too much. Trust me!I

Saturday I shot 250 photos of a group of birds sitting on a fence at the gun range. ONE KEEPER!

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I shoot sports almost every weekend. Two soccer games this weekend. Around 500-550 shots. I published 24 to our team page and the rest are gone. Your keep rate really depends on what your shooting and are you shooting single frames, etc.

That said, at the beginning i kept more so i could learn more.
Post removed:
by user
dubi
AG
Quote:

That said, at the beginning i kept more because I hated to hit the delete button.
FIFY
Guitarsoup
AG
Don't delete in camera.

Wait until you are on your computer.

But yeah. If they get culled, they are deleted. Everything else gets stored in 4 places, because OCD.
bthotugigem05
AG
I have about 30-40k pictures marked for deletion in my Lightroom catalog but just can't press that button for some reason. Storage is cheaper than regret I guess.
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

I have about 30-40k pictures marked for deletion in my Lightroom catalog but just can't press that button for some reason. Storage is cheaper than regret I guess.
I edit on a laptop, so I am forced to make those hard decisions which for me is good!
labmansid
dubi said:

bthotugigem05 said:

I edit on a laptop, so I am forced to make those hard decisions which for me is good!
You just need a better laptop!

It depends a lot on what I am shooting. If I'm just fiddle-farting with something around the house like bugs and such, I'll probably keep just the best 2-3 of each subject. For family gatherings I keep pretty much all of them except for obviously OOF or otherwise unrecognizable ones.

For photography specific outings, I may easily take over 1000 photos/day, sometimes more. I usually end up outright deleting about 25% of them for being OOF or other technical reasons. Of the rest, I generally flag about 10% as "keepers", but usually don't delete anymore. I then go back and evaluate those for either further processing or unflagging, based on related shots. That often leaves me with somewhere around 5-10% that get final processing and conversion to jpeg files. I shoot everything in RAW, btw. Much easier to fix things such as white balance, and all original detail is retained. I do use Smugmug for online storage of much of my final shots. I also have several disc drives for redundant storage. I am a bit of a hoarder for my photos and probably keep way more than I should, but like was said, storage is relatively cheap now compared to years past.
TravelAg2004
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Don't delete in camera.

But yeah. If they get culled, they are deleted. Everything else gets stored in 4 places, because OCD.
I just keep all my photos on a single memory card...cause they never fail.
TexasAggie_02
AG
TravelAg2004 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Don't delete in camera.

I just keep all my photos on a single memory card...cause they never fail.

You must shoot small jpeg
FTAG 2000
AG
Have to vent for a second... found out that I can't take my drone to Guadalupe. The Mexican government thinks drones are a threat to birds there so can't fly without paying some ridiculous permit fee to do it.

Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Need someone to babysit it for you while you're gone?
tk for tu juan
Is "birds" Spanish for cartel operations?
MBAR
AG
For the most part I edit on my laptop also. However, I have the laptop folders synced with the cloud, and then from the cloud I import them to a 2nd LR catalog on my desktop with an external drive. That then gets backuped to Amazon. So I'm able to clear out the laptop catalog periodically but still keep everything on my desktop if I ever need to go back to it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Around 500-550 shots. I published 24

Sheesh. I guess my film experience gives me away. I *may* shoot 500+ (sports related) but I'm expecting to keep/publish way more than 24. On the other hand, if I were to go try and shoot birds, something I've never done, I'd probably shoot 1k and keep maybe 5. Who knows.

To answer the question, I keep everything that is in focus or in some way usable. Storage space is relatively cheap. I find things to do with shots I took years ago. In fact, I'm looking at scanning some old 120 film. I didn't crop shots as much back then and I've found shots that, when properly cropped, make good images. This is true even when I thought I had a whole lot of nothing.
BMo
jayelbee said:

What do you guys do with all of your photos?

So I took the camera out hunting several weeks back and played around while the birds weren't flying. I ended up taking 18 shots, playing around with different exposure settings. Some were overexposed, some I tightened up the focal length, but forgot to increase the exposure time so they ended up very silhouetted and under exposed, still others are out of focus or the main subject isn't sharp. In the end, I had maybe one shot that was worth a damn, and even then that's generous.

Do you guys keep all of your photos that you take, or do you cull to keep the best (25%?) of everything you shoot and then go from there to post process or print?
If I have several days of shooting I put them into "subject" folders using Lightroom and cull later. If few shots I will cull them as I go. I only edit on a PC which has 4 hard drives, the main ssd and 3 hdd. I use syncbackfree to do a double daily backup. It does the actual files and not something that has to be restored. While I do other photography I like shooting birds and more birds. I will cull over a couple of months also as I review and free HD space. Sony files are pretty large and I shoot RAW + jpeg with the jpeg being in case of RAW card failure.
dubi
AG
Quote:

Can you recomend an entry level camera with changeable lenses ? Want. To be able take on family outings. With video capabilities if possible
Question from a friend. TIA,
FTAG 2000
AG
AG 2000' said:

Have to vent for a second... found out that I can't take my drone to Guadalupe. The Mexican government thinks drones are a threat to birds there so can't fly without paying some ridiculous permit fee to do it.

Alright, talked with the pope (okay, the federales) and got the go ahead. Had to promise not to sell my footage. If I do, permits or fines await. So it really wasn't about the birds, it was about the pesos.

labmansid
AG 2000' said:

AG 2000' said:

Alright, talked with the pope (okay, the federales) and got the go ahead. Had to promise not to sell my footage. If I do, permits or fines await. So it really wasn't about the birds, it was about the pesos.

bthotugigem05
AG
Ugh, played with a Fuji GFX the other day and I think I'm hooked. Really struggling not to pick one up, especially since all of my Canon tilt shifts work on it via adapter...
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Ugh, played with a Fuji GFX the other day and I think I'm hooked. Really struggling not to pick one up, especially since all of my Canon tilt shifts work on it via adapter...
meggy09
AG
Lots of info here that I'll get through at some point, so sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm looking for a camera recommendation.

Want something probably used and on the inexpensive side, so many options though I'm having a hard time sorting through it all. Ideally I'd hike with it and take nature/wildlife photos. I'd like to do time lapse and think I'd prefer a built in intervelometor (sp) and maybe do some astrophotography.

Would like to stay below 500 for the base camera, don't mind paying for accessories later.
bthotugigem05
AG

Welp.
dubi
FTAG 2000
AG
For those with the Mavic2 Pro, have you tried panorama mode yet?

I did and it was disappointing - the detail when zoomed in is pixelated garbage.

Currently going back and forth with DJI on this. There is something in the manual about not taking panos over water or snow, but they haven't even been able to articulate what that statement is speaking to in the manual.

Here's the photo (rendered at 25% in Adobe):

And here's the zoomed in photo of the boat (scaled to 200% in Adobe):

bthotugigem05
AG
Are you keeping the original raw files when you shoot the panos? I don't typically like the output from the panorama mode so I just keep the original files and stitch it on my own.
FTAG 2000
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Are you keeping the original raw files when you shoot the panos? I don't typically like the output from the panorama mode so I just keep the original files and stitch it on my own.
Good question - think I checked that option but will hook it up tomorrow and see if the RAW files are there.
TravelAg2004
AG
What kit/tools does everyone recommend for cleaning my D750 sensor? I've got a nice little dust spot on it and the "clean sensor" menu option didn't work.
First Page Last Page
Page 54 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.