Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,158 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm generally too busy with client work to take the time to create something every day.

dave99ag has done a couple that were really great
Yeah, I started them but we'll see how easy it is to keep up once my teaching obligations start up in a week or so.
Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Any other tilt shift folks out there? I've had a hard time taking the Canon 24mm TS II off my A7RII since I got it a few months ago. Picked up a used 17mm from a buddy but am about to send it off to Canon for servicing, nervous about how much that's going to cost.

I've got a Canon 45 for sale. Barely used it.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'm interested, how much?
Guitarsoup
AG
I'd do 800 cash. No box, but has hood and little grey Canon baggie. I think I used it 4 times.

Used it at the 139th Kentucky Derby.

bthotugigem05
AG
$750 cash work?
91AggieLawyer
AG
If any of you Canon folks are interested in a good flash, I have a 550 EX (with a case) for sale.
dubi
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

$750 cash work?
$749
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

currently use 12-35mm f2.8, 40-150 f2.8, 45mm f1.8, 20mm f1.7.

I just picked up a GH1 cheap. I know its old, but it will do what I want for now and be used as a backup later if/when I upgrade. But I need a lens.

Still have a Canon 50/1.8. I'm assuming that becomes 100 on the Panasonic, no??

I can get a cheap Oly 14-42 for now and get the Pana 20 later. Or should I skip the zoom and get the 20? Uses include both video and still, but mostly video -- indoor with light and outdoor in decent to good light.
agracer
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

Actually, we're thinking of looking for a new camera.

We have a Nikon P600, but it has mode selection issues and will randomly stitch modes while trying to take a picture. I looked it up, and a lot of people have had the same problem within 18 months of getting the camera. Nikon won't issue a recall or support the issue as a warranty item since it's usually out of warranty, despite it being fairly widespread.

Needless to say, we will not be getting another Nikon. Do you have any recommendations for compact digitals in the $300-$350 range, preferably with an articulating screen? The Lumix FZ200 is close to what we'd be looking for, but maybe a little more than we'd like to spend.
Did you buy it with a CC? AMEX adds a 1-year warranty to electronics purchased with your AMEX card. I had an issue with my Nikon D50 ~15-months after I purchased it (and it was not due to damage or water, etc.) Check with you CC company. I think I just sent it to Nikon, they fixed it and said there was not damage to the camera (like water, dropped camera, abuse, etc.) I sent the bill to AMEX and they credited my account.
VonDownByTheRiver
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

currently use 12-35mm f2.8, 40-150 f2.8, 45mm f1.8, 20mm f1.7.

I just picked up a GH1 cheap. I know its old, but it will do what I want for now and be used as a backup later if/when I upgrade. But I need a lens.

Still have a Canon 50/1.8. I'm assuming that becomes 100 on the Panasonic, no??

I can get a cheap Oly 14-42 for now and get the Pana 20 later. Or should I skip the zoom and get the 20? Uses include both video and still, but mostly video -- indoor with light and outdoor in decent to good light.
I greatly preferred the Oly 17 over the Pana 20 (slower and noisier).

Don't waste your money on the 14-42, and sadly, one of the only decent walk around zooms is the 12-40 which will set you back $650 used.

Buy everything used, preferably from Fred Miranda if you can.

You're right about the 2x crop factor, although I have no experience mounting canon glass on m43.
VonDownByTheRiver
So I picked up my first Canon lens with IS...can using IS lead to soft focus? I'm having much better sharpness with IS off, strangely. These are on fairly close focus shots with the 16-35mm f4.
bthotugigem05
AG
Was the camera on a tripod?
TexasAggie_02
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

Was the camera on a tripod?
I'm curious as well. IS is for hand holding. It may not work correctly when on a tripod.
VonDownByTheRiver
Nope, was hand holding, shooting at about 1/30 with decent indoor light. Turned off IS and shots at 1/30 were instantly sharper.

Was using AI Servo with back button focus for both, so shouldn't have missed focus.
schmendeler
AG
haven't read the whole thread, but I'm very much looking forward to the forthcoming Fuji X100F. I haven't used my DSLR since I got my used X100S. really love that camera.
bthotugigem05
AG
Not sure then, I guess there could be something wrong with the IS system.
Guitarsoup
AG
bthotugigem05 said:

$750 cash work?
Nope.
jg07
AG
Where is the best place to sell Canon gear? Looking to make the switch to Nikon.
VonDownByTheRiver
If you want to sell online: KEH, Fred Miranda, or Photography on the Net are my go to places. Make sure to post here too, lots of Canon shooters that will pay fair prices.

Always worth posting on Craigslist too but be firm on your prices.
Guitarsoup
AG
Facebook has good buy and sell groups, too.

KEH won't give you as much as if you sell privately. I also sell a lot on Craigslist.
dubi
AG
jg07 said:

Where is the best place to sell Canon gear? Looking to make the switch to Nikon.

Post a thread here. Lots of us shoot canon.
bthotugigem05
AG
$780
labmansid
Guitarsou said:

KEH won't give you as much as if you sell privately. I also sell a lot on Craigslist.
Yeah I took some stuff to sell at a Houston camera shop last year when KEH was there buying, and they won't give you crap for used gear. I ended up leaving with nearly everything I took with me. They were only offering about a quarter, maybe a third what it was getting on sites like ebay. I miss the old buy/sell section on the old Texas Photo Forum.
caleblyn
Thinking about an upgrade. What would you suggest if my budget is around $1,000. This is what I have...

Canon 60d
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8

The 30 stays on for about 99% of the time. Majority of my shots have something to do with my kids (12, 9, and 6). My 9 and 6 are really picking up the sports scene so the 70-200 is starting to get used more.

I don't do any video with my SLR

TexasAggie_02
AG
caleblyn said:

Thinking about an upgrade. What would you suggest if my budget is around $1,000. This is what I have...

Canon 60d
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8

The 30 stays on for about 99% of the time. Majority of my shots have something to do with my kids (12, 9, and 6). My 9 and 6 are really picking up the sports scene so the 70-200 is starting to get used more.

I don't man, that's a pretty good set up. You might look at the Canon 7D Mk II. it's still a crop sensor like the 60D, but it's canon's "pro" line crop sensor. If you are going to be shooting kids sports more, the autofocus and shots per second will be much better.

The 60D shoots 5.3 frames per second, and the 7D Mk II shoots 10 fps.
Guitarsoup
AG
caleblyn said:

Canon 60d
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8

How is your current set up not serving your needs?
caleblyn
Guitarsoup said:

caleblyn said:

Canon 60d
Sigma 30mm f1.4
Sigma 70-200 f2.8

How is your current set up not serving your needs?
I love my prime, don't get me wrong. I do think it needs a calibration. However, it does have limitations sometimes. How often do I run into these limitations? Not that often, but I a 24-70 would eliminate these limitations.

The 60d has served well. I am guessing that I am around 40,000 sc. I have thought about selling everything and going full-frame. This would be a big commitment where my $1,000 budget might not hold.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If you don't do any video, a 5D classic might be a good addition. You can pick one of those up for under $400 -- maybe under $300 now. Yes, it is dated, but still takes great pics.
TexasAggie_02
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

If you don't do any video, a 5D classic might be a good addition. You can pick one of those up for under $400 -- maybe under $300 now. Yes, it is dated, but still takes great pics.
if you went that route, get a 5D II or wait until the 5D 4 is a year old, and then look at a 5D3. The original 5D is nearing 12 years old.
VonDownByTheRiver
I would not recommend a 5D classic to anyone these days. That camera had its time, and that time is over.

If you sell private party, here's what you'll get:

60D: $350
30mm: $200

Keep your 70-200

Now you have $1550 to play with...get a used 6D or 5D2 for $900, a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for $200, and a 40mm pancake for $170.
Guitarsoup
AG
The 5D2 can be had well under $1k. Better sensor, same AF, 3-4 years newer.
TexasAggie_02
AG
VonDownByTheRiver said:

I would not recommend a 5D classic to anyone these days. That camera had its time, and that time is over.

Keep your 70-200

Now you have $1550 to play with...get a used 6D or 5D2 for $900, a Tamron 28-75 f2.8 for $200, and a 40mm pancake for $170.
Don't buy a 6D. I have one, and it's an amazing camera for landscape photography, but the autofocus system is not good for moving subjects. The 6D only have 9 autofocus points, and the only cross-type is the center one. He is shooting his kids. A 5D II/III or a 7D II would be better.
Guitarsoup
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

VonDownByTheRiver said:

Keep your 70-200

Don't buy a 6D. I have one, and it's an amazing camera for landscape photography, but the autofocus system is not good for moving subjects. The 6D only have 9 autofocus points, and the only cross-type is the center one. He is shooting his kids. A 5D II/III or a 7D II would be better.
Canon had a lot of unfixable failures with that camera. It does have a better sensor than the 5D3 (still worse than D600/D750), but lack of a second memory card precludes its use from a real professional and the terrible AF system is essentially the exact same in the 5D classic and other old cameras. I do not miss having to focus and recompose at all. Those were two giant failings by Canon.

Canon's 5D4 and 1DXII both look like very good upgrades by all reports. But I also gave a super glowing review to the 5D3 when new and after using it for a couple years, I was beyond frustrated with it.
flintdragon
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The 1D3 actually has a 1.3x crop rather than the 1.6x crop you are used to. It will still be there.

What you give up is video and the rear LCD. The 1D3 doesn't have video and the rear LCD isn't as nice. The rear LCD is very accurate on color and exposure, so that is nice. Also, no flip screen like the 60D and no pop up flash (which you should never use anyway.)

Make sure you get one with the battery charger and a good battery. That battery may need replacing after all those years, but the battery is much more significant than the 60D battery.
A guy wants to sell me his 1D3 for $420....

ugh... on the fence because I just realized that some of my lenses including my main walk-around lens is EF-S....
flintdragon
AG
I went ahead and picked up the 1D Mark III on Friday and shot with it all weekend at a volleyball tournament. It came with two batteries and the dual charger. Shot about 600 pics with so many keepers due to the 10 fps.

Didn't try to mess around with the settings much and my arms are kind of sore (heavy) but it was heaven on earth.

Pairing the 70-200 2.8 to it felt so much better in my hands than the small plasticky 60D.

Also, my girl's team played wonderfully so was awesome to be able to capture some of those moments for the team and parents!
First Page Last Page
Page 4 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.