Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

420,866 Views | 3566 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Bregxit
MBAR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Polarizers are good for landscape type shots where you're going to be at one vantage point but for wildlife if you're going to be taking a shot at a moments notice and constantly recomposing then you're going to have to reset the polarizer and you're simply not going to have that time.
dubi
AG
Once upon a time there was a thread that talked about formatting the SD card. Whether to do it in the computer or in the camera. I can't remember. What is best?
schmendeler
AG
dubi said:

Once upon a time there was a thread that talked about formatting the SD card. Whether to do it in the computer or in the camera. I can't remember. What is best?

I read an article recently that claimed in camera was best.
TexasAggie_02
AG
dubi said:

In camera IMO. Also, don't delete individual pictures in camera. It can corrupt the card. Just leave the bad pics on there. They'll get erased when you format it.
Guitarsoup
AG
dubi said:

1. Always and only format in camera. Do not format in computer.
2. Never delete photos off your camera.
3. Don't fill up your memory cards all the way.
htxag09
AG
Guitarsoup said:

dubi said:

1. I'm good
2. I've failed
3. I've failed
33% isn't too bad huh????
wee_ag
AG
Guitarsoup said:

dubi said:

Ummmm...
MBAR
AG
Wow, I definitely delete photos sometimes. Why is this bad?
Guitarsoup
AG
Your camera is not good at managing data. Doing this can scramble the FAT table, which would corrupt the card.

Before a shoot, format the card in camera. Shoot. Use a good card reader (all of mine are Lexar and Sony). Format again before the next shoot. My main card in each camera is 128GB. All my cameras are dual slot and I write jpgs to the second card (usually a 32 or 64 in that slot.)
AggieDruggist89
AG
My set up for the trip. 6 batteries and 3 SD cards.

1 body 1 lens.

AggieDruggist89
AG
few shots..

Cinque Terre, Manarola

Cinque Terre, Riomaggiore

Chain Bridge, Budapest, Hungary

Buda Castle, Budapest

Prague, Czech Republic

Hungary Parliament

Prague Castle, Prague

Venice, Italy

Guitarsoup
AG
That first one is perfect.
schmendeler
AG
Not meant to be an insult, but what's going on with the weird skies in many of those? Really long exposure?
fig96
AG
Really nice stuff.
bthotugigem05
AG
Agreed, that Manarola one is one of the best I've ever seen.
MBAR
AG
Really like most of them but I'm personally not a fan of the over saturated skies. I think your nighttime shots are amazing though.
wee_ag
AG
MBAR said:

Really like most of them but I'm personally not a fan of the over saturated skies. I think your nighttime shots are amazing though.
Over saturated skies and over-the-top HDR (less is more!!!) are two of my biggest pet peeves. Though I don't think these are anywhere near overdone. A good polarizing filter would make those blue skies pop. I am curious if the starburst from the streetlights are from the lens or if you had a filter.
labmansid
I think the processing on these is pretty much spot on. Most photographs, at least in my opinion, need some contrast and saturation boost compared to straight out of camera.

I do have a question about the first shot. I notice a fair amount of what I would call "banding" of the light on some of the buildings, where the lighting/shading appears unevenly enhanced horizontally. Is that actually the way the buildings are painted or lighted, or could that be an artifact of processing? Not a knock or nit pick, serious question. Fantastic shots.
AggieDruggist89
AG
The saturated sky... I'm not crazy about dull white sky in landscape photos.

It's shopped in using color 88b8ff in color panel with clouds rendered in Filter in PS CS6. I will most likely reprocess and tone it down. They're not HDR. Also, I had to reduce the size of these pictures to post. On the average, these are between 12 to 16 mb.
AggieDruggist89
AG
labmansid said:

I think the processing on these is pretty much spot on. Most photographs, at least in my opinion, need some contrast and saturation boost compared to straight out of camera.

I do have a question about the first shot. I notice a fair amount of what I would call "banding" of the light on some of the buildings, where the lighting/shading appears unevenly enhanced horizontally. Is that actually the way the buildings are painted or lighted, or could that be an artifact of processing? Not a knock or nit pick, serious question. Fantastic shots.
Great observation.

The banding... was not done on purpose. The building paints are not banded...they're solid.

As I was adding the clouds into one of the layers, I failed to choose the "sky area" instead chose the entire picture. Inadvertently, cloud bands were added to the buildings. Then I realized...it really didn't look that bad, rather made the picture a bit unique. So I kept it.
AggieDruggist89
AG
wee_ag said:

MBAR said:

Over saturated skies and over-the-top HDR (less is more!!!) are two of my biggest pet peeves. Though I don't think these are anywhere near overdone. A good polarizing filter would make those blue skies pop. I am curious if the starburst from the streetlights are from the lens or if you had a filter.
The starburst effect is straight from the lens. No additional effects were added.
TexasAggie_02
AG
the starburst is from using a small aperture. the aperture blades causes it
wee_ag
AG
TexasAggie_02 said:

the starburst is from using a small aperture. the aperture blades causes it
Thanks, I know what causes the effect but they make physical lens filters to enhance the effect. Was curious if he used one. Plus some lenses naturally create better (more points) starbursts. My canon f4 18-35 doesn't do nearly as well with starbursts as I would like.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Is anyone shooting serious video on their smart phone? By serious, I mean something you are taking the time to go into an editor (Premiere, iMovie, FCP, etc.) and do stuff with -- as well as getting a pro movie app to shoot it in? I've been doing this for a while but would like to hear tips and techniques from others.
fig96
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Is anyone shooting serious video on their smart phone? By serious, I mean something you are taking the time to go into an editor (Premiere, iMovie, FCP, etc.) and do stuff with -- as well as getting a pro movie app to shoot it in? I've been doing this for a while but would like to hear tips and techniques from others.
I've been using my phone (Pixel) to shoot b-roll stuff recently, been using ProShot primarily. Still getting the hang of it but I'm certainly getting usable footage for alternate angles and b-roll shots, the fact that it's 4K helps as I've got some room to play with my framing for 1080p export.

I'm trying out Resolve for editing at home (have Premiere CC at work), it's pretty great and it's tough to beat free
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

AggieDruggist89
AG
I do a lot of videos. Mainly use u43 for sports, healthcare education videos etc. With a sturdy tripod and fluidhead.

I also use my cellphone to make silly videos.

But I use Sony Vegas Pro 13 to edit. Lay in some good sound track..

Video to me requires more as it needs to tell a story. It definitely requires additional creativity. I would like to produce short story videos.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Following up on my question, looks like I'm going to rent the Nikon 200-500. This creates a new problem: transport. My current camera bag is a Lowepro slingshot 200. The lens is supposedly 10.5" long, which is about .5" longer than what my bag can supposedly handle. I've been thinking about changing bags anyway because I don't really use the slingshot much as most of the time I'm outdoors I'm on a bike (or a dayhike at most), and I need to carry water, food, etc. So for those of you who are outdoors quite a bit, how do you carry your gear?
Guitarsoup
AG
I use a Think Tank Street Wallet HD backpack. There are several in that line of backpacks.
dubi
AG
I have something like this. Could you put the long lens on the side?

amazon link

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Maybe. I'm going to play around with mine some more tonight to make sure I'm not overlooking something. Have you tried dayhiking with that bag? I've heard the larger camera bags aren't so good for that. I'm kinda kicking around getting an Osprey backpack and putting a padded divider insert in.
Guitarsoup
AG
The Think Tank Hard Drive HD is great for day hiking. Great padding and you can attach it to their waist belts. I think it has a small waist belt that you can use as well, but that is significantly less useful than their big heavy-duty waist belts that are sold separately.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Maximus, are you going to use a monopod to steady the lens and also carry? A decent Manfrotto is reasonably priced.
TexasAggie_02
AG
i use a think tank shape shifter. works for me, but i know a lot of people don't like the layout of it.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
I have both a monopod and tripod, and plan on bringing both on the trip, though I'm thinking probably just the monopod for the whale cruise.
AggieDruggist89
AG
New moon in 2 weeks! Any milkyway attempts?
First Page Last Page
Page 13 of 102

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.