Kerbal Space Program...

30,474 Views | 234 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gomerschlep
wee_ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some users made a multi-player mod.

It's pre-alpha, but I'll be loading it soon.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55835-Kmp-0-22-wip-alpha

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 12/25/2013 2:31p).]
agfan2013
farmer2010
AG
The indie game thread got me playing this again. I just took my first spaceplane trip around the Mun and back. Had just enough fuel!

Sparkle Pony
Nice!
agfan2013
AG
Yeah after being reminded of KSP on the indie thread and not having anything else to keep me entertained until watchdogs comes out, I fired it up and have sunk a good 5+ hours into KSP over the last couple of days. That plane stuff looks cool, I havent even messed around with any of that stuff, I've just stuck to rockets so far. Guess I'll have to experiment and see how many times I can crash one of those.

I still love using the Apollo_Saturn Mod and doing the Apollo style missions. Still cant get the CM to orbit the moon while the LM goes down and lands but I'll figure it out eventually.

I have been productive with my time though and the space above earth is starting to get crowded.

Here's what I call the ISS even though it doesnt look anything like it. I want to eventually assemble a station that does look exactly like it.

[This message has been edited by agfan2013 (edited 5/26/2014 8:33a).]
farmer2010
AG
I haven't kept up with KSP development, but while playing, I noticed "unknown objects" orbiting Kerbol. Naturally, I had to investigate.

Is that what I think it is? Better touch it to be sure.

ASTEROIDS

[This message has been edited by farmer2010 (edited 5/26/2014 9:15p).]
agfan2013
AG
Well I've been sinking more and more time into KSP. Just finished my ISS replica. I used some pictures on wikipedia to try and make it fairly accurate. A little over 120 parts, mostly stock with the solar panels being an exception.

One of my kerbals on a spacewalk:

[This message has been edited by agfan2013 (edited 7/3/2014 5:10p).]
kb2001
AG
Looks like there was a big update released last week, followed by a few hotfixes

I haven't checked it out yet, but it's called First Contract
mid90
AG
I just bought this game.

WOW.

I took a class on orbital mechanics in the spring, and it's so freaking cool to see stuff I learned play out in a fun-to-play video game. Marvelous.
agfan2013
AG
Playing a little KSP before the football games start up today. I dont think my kerbal realizes the gravity of his situation.

Been checking out some of the new stuff, nothing groundbreaking but some nice changes. Dang this game is fun though, I've now spent over 35 hours playing it.

[This message has been edited by agfan2013 (edited 8/30/2014 11:04a).]
jtbru8508
AG
They have made some big updates to this! I haven't played in like 2 years...
kb2001
AG
Is anybody still playing this? I've recently picked it back up again on the latest update, the 0.90 beta release. It includes a more developed career mode, with facility upgrades, administration strategies, and more contracts. This game is so addicting, I'm hooked on the new career mode, and almost have all my facilities fully upgraded

It still needs some work on the balance with regards to the administration building. The strategies can make it extremely easy to get science or money, but if you choose not to use any strategies, it progresses fairly well so far.

I can't wait for version 1.0, hopefully they can balance it a bit better, and work out some more kinks.

I've also started using some of the mods. So far, Kerbal Engineer Redux adds a lot to the game, Kerbal Alarm Clock is pretty useful with some of these satellite contracts that take 1-2 days to get into place. I've been looking at trying out the 6.4 mod, which makes the size and spacing more like our solar system. I've also seen that some people are working on an N-body mod, which will apply gravity from all the large bodies, not just the one you're closest too. This is quite a bit of math, and it may be a bit much for my CPU, but it would be pretty cool to set some satellites at lagrange points.

Anybody still playing this? Any mod recommendations?
Malachi Constant
AG
I just started playing and it's taking over my whole life. I just got my first rocket into orbit!
agfan2013
AG
Not sure how many of you still play this but KSP is officially not a beta anymore. version 1.0 is now out and it added a ton of stuff. I plan on checking it out some this week, but may have to wait until I upgrade my computer to really dive in. Just came back from Florida where we went and toured Kennedy space center so I need to scratch my space itch.

quote:
* Redesigned the way drag is calculated, now it will take into account things such as part occlusion, facing, and got rid of the calculation being based on part mass.

* New Lift System:
Corrected the lift so that it is now (properly) a function of the square of velocity, not linear. This allows for far more effective, and accurate, wings.

* Aerodynamic Stability Overlay:
A new part of the UI that shows you the stability of your crafts as you build them, so you can easily tell at a glance how air-worthy (or not) your design is, and see the effects of any changes as you build.

* Engineer's Report:
A new panel in the VAB and SPH which will warn you of crucial (and generally frustrating) issues in your design, such as a lack of fuel tanks, engines or landing gear, among many other advanced concepts like those.

* TimeWarp To:
Fumble with timewarp and mess up your burns no more, with this new feature you can choose a point along your orbit and the game will take you there as fast as physically possible.

* Deep Space and Planetary Refueling:
Adding a new system and a set of parts that will allow you to collect matter from Asteroids and other bodies, then process it into useful things, like Fuel or Oxidizer.

* Game Over:
Be careless with your funds and reputation and you might promptly find you no longer have a job at the Space Center.

* New Landing Gears:
With the much larger Mk3 parts, we too felt the need for equally much larger landing gears. We're giving you larger and more diverse ones to fix that.

* New, Larger Wings:
Mk3 crafts also require you to make large wings out of way, way too many small ones. We're adding wings that are not only larger than all others, they also carry fuel, so you can finally make room for a properly massive payload area.

* Kerbal Clamber:
Kerbals can now climb over small obstacles and out of ladders up onto flat surfaces; because their job wasn't dangerous enough already.

* Female Kerbals:
Long time in the making, finally joining the team at KSC.

* Economic Systems Rebalance:
Strategies, Part costs, contract payouts, they all needed to be fixed, and have all gotten a much needed balancing pass.

* Part Stats Rebalance:
We're making sure no part is too light, too heavy, too powerful, or too weak. Exploiters beware!

* New Contracts:
We aim to bridge the gap between the early and late game contracts, as playtesting showed the difficulty curve could use some easing.

* Tier 0 Buildings:
The originally revealed buildings have been enhanced and modified to meet our original vision for them.

* Sound Overhaul:
Adding sounds to several parts of the game and interface that needed them, as well as improving some existing ones.

* Bugfixes:
A lot of long standing bugs are being fixed, and we do mean a lot of them. Beta means bugfixes, after all.

and other stuff:

quote:
Overhaul of aerodynamic model:
Re-entry heat
There will be mach effect (not only aesthetic)
Infiniglide fixed thanks to the new aero
Part inside cargo bay and fairings will be shielded
New parts:
New bigger landing gear
New bigger wings
Procedural fairings
Heatshield as separate part
IVAs for every crewable part of the game
Since 1.0 all the engine will have a nickname like the actual Skipper, Mainsail, etc. (In example the new name for 909 will be "Terrier")
Realistic ISP (Thrust will change with pressure and not fuel consumption)
Resources from planets and asteroid
Graphics, resources updates:
Female Kerbals
Re-modeled spacesuit
Audio overhaul for the UI
New animations for EVA
Barn is back as Tier 0 Space Center
New ESA flags
Game mechanics updates:
New contracts like the one for space tourism
Engineer report (dV and pre flight check in)
New abilities for the crew members
Time warp to Manuever Node/AP/PE/whatever
Change fuel flow logic to prevent asymmetric flameout and to make fuel to drain from tanks in the stage evenly
Changed the chase cam
Kerbals will be now able to climb edge with ladders
Controls updates:
New SPH/VAB GUI to help with the aerodynamic stability of the craft (a simplified version of the graphics in FAR)
New filter for VAB/SPH
Changed docking mode input
Improved joystick mapping configuration
Usability updates:
Better Tutorials
New Demo
Loading screen will have tips to help new players
wee_ag
AG
I'm giddy right now...
MGS
I'm glad I bought it earlier because now it's $40
Malachi Constant
AG
Downloaded, installed, but not played (yet)
Dark_Knight
AG
I'm downloading tonight. Haven't played it since 0.9.
farmer2010
AG
Started my first career mode yesterday, after not playing since v0.25.

Got pissed when I was midway through a contract to do a Mun flyby, only to discover that maneuver nodes were not unlocked yet, and I was about $50000 short of unlocking them. From low Kerbin orbit, decided to just "do it live" and made my Mun transfer burn in staging view just as the Mun crossed the Kerbin horizon. Managed to get a Mun encounter and luckily had enough fuel to get Jeb back safely.

Felt like a complete badass.
Malachi Constant
AG
Reminds me of my first Mun landing. My first lander broke during the landing, so I stranded poor Jebediah on the surface.

So then I had to send a rescue mission. Made it to the Mun, but I had almost zero fuel left.

Used nothing but RCS rockets and was able to dive-bomb back to the Kerbin Ocean.
wee_ag
AG
I am soooo bad at space planes.
farmer2010
AG
Even before the aerodynamic overhaul, spaceplanes were much harder to design and fly compared to rockets. I haven't tried building one yet with the new aero physics, but my rockets are A LOT less stable in atmosphere, so I'd imagine spaceplanes are even harder to fly than before.
Ag_of_08
AG
just picked it up sunday.....WAY to many hours into it
mid90
AG
quote:
just picked it up sunday.....WAY to many hours into it

wee_ag
AG
Soooo it's coming to consoles in the next few months....

http://www.polygon.com/2016/2/18/11040264/watch-kerbal-space-program-on-xbox-one
CrottyKid
mid90
AG
Would be awesome if they made some real-life scenarios. E.g. you're launching 3 kerbonauts into orbit, have to rendezvous with a mockup of the ISS, then use your vehicle (while docked at the space station) to boost the station into a higher orbit.
Ag_of_08
AG
Download ckan and do some browsing, it's VERY possible with the realism mods and the fasa packs. Im probably fixing to get away from station building ( once I rebuild what I accidentally destroyed ) and start getting better with interplanetary launches and maybe turn on tac life support.
Ag_of_08
AG
so 1.1 and the migration to unity 5 is coming, anyone going to try it?
Breggy Popup
AG
Yep. Hope I don't lose any ships or anything. I have 11M bucks and a couple of interplanetary transfers in progress on my career game.
Ag_of_08
AG
I think I would keep a copy of the 1.0.5 install just in case. I've abandoned my career mode atm, playing around with some procedural tanks, and have anRO/RSS install I'm trying to crash every launch of lol
VonDownByTheRiver
1.1 is out!
Malachi Constant
AG
I played KSP for months and got to Duna.

Then I installed mechjeb and I've visited just about everywhere in the Kerbol system.
VonDownByTheRiver
That's called cheating
Ag_of_08
AG
Mechjeb isn't cheatimg, it's still about 1/2 the level of sophistication, and a few hundred less engineers, than one real flight has. You still need to learn to set things up without it, but certainly not cheating.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.