Does anyone know what tape device played movies at home before vhs

28,516 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 11 yr ago by 95_Aggie
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The tape cartridges were about the size of a record album cover. Maybe 10" x 10" x 1/4" thick...

My grandparents had one and I never knew what it was called.
Jerk Stanley
betamax?
Wildmen03
AG
Selectavision, CED video disc.

[This message has been edited by Wildmen03 (edited 6/29/2012 12:11p).]
SpicewoodAg
AG
I'm not aware of any videocassette system that used a cartridge anywhere near 10 inches on a dimension.

Perhaps the OP is thinking about "open reel" formats, which were not cassettes.

Or he is thinking about open reel audio tape, common in the 60s and early 70s. The standard reel was 7 inches; the "pro" reel was 10 inches.
MGS
I think you are talking about RCA CED discs, they were also called "Video Discs".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitance_Electronic_Disc
saber69
AG
So, then, how does one go about transferring all of my blu-ray discs to laser disc?
redline248
AG
This picture from a selectavision GIS is what I was talking about.

eric76
AG
Keep in mind that the video discs were for playing prerecorded content only. You could not record a show yourself with them.

They never did take off too well. I never even saw one.

JMH
AG
Your grandparents had one? Thats freakin' sweet what movies did they have? Godfather? The Good the Bad and the Ugly? I know they probably had Benji for you right?

Wildmen03
AG
quote:
You could not record a show yourself with them.
Oh man I'm glad you said this, I was about to run home because I forgot to set my Selectavision to record Alf. You just saved me a trip.

[This message has been edited by Wildmen03 (edited 6/29/2012 12:51p).]
eric76
AG
quote:
So, then, how does one go about transferring all of my blu-ray discs to laser disc?
If anyone even has the equipment to do it any more ...

Cheapest way would be to find a company with the equipment for making the discs. The first disc in each run might easily cost about $5,000 or more, but you could then make additional discs for an affordable rate.

The next way would be to buy the equipment to produce a disc. Just a ball park guess -- a couple hundred thousand dollars. You would still need to have the discs made from a master disk you produce. If you want the equipment to produce the final product, figure an additional few hundred thousand dollars.

By the way, we started selling information on CDs for computers years ago. At that time, we priced a CD burner -- $80,000. I suggested that we wait for the burners to drop in price and so for the first year or two, we would send the data on 9 track computer tape to another company who would then produce the CDs. The CDs were pressed, not burned, just like the music CDs you buy at a store. Total cost for a run of a couple hundred CDs at that time was somewhere in the range of $1,000 to $2,000. And we had to do that twice a month every month.

About a year or two later, the price of a CD burner dropped to around $5,000 and so we bought one and start producing our own CDs.
eric76
AG
quote:
quote:
You could not record a show yourself with them.

Oh man I'm glad you said this, I was about to run home because I forgot to set my Selectavision to record Alf. You just saved me a trip.
I think that there were several Selectavision products including VCRs. The Video disks were not recordable.

[This message has been edited by eric76 (edited 6/29/2012 12:57p).]
Wildmen03
AG
Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for that when I go buy a new one.
akaggie05
AG
There were a number of pro videotape formats that used open reels (1 inch C format, I think there was also a 2 inch format before that) in the 70s. There was also U-Matic tape (used very large cassettes and the tape was 3/4 inch. Later professional formats (such as Betacam SP) also used very large cassettes because of the length of tape required due to the high transport speed.
Predmid
AG
forget it! my victrola works just fine.
boy09
AG
quote:
95_Aggie
AG
I actually owned one of those.

It was a format war between RCA CED videodiscs and Pioneer laserdiscs. These actually had a needle, similar to a vinyl record player ... and they skipped a lot.

Neither format won ... although I guess you could say the DVD is a descendant of the laserdisc.

[This message has been edited by AGnCS (edited 6/29/2012 6:50p).]
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.