Larry Allen passes away

2,275 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by GrandStand93
Sharpshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/cowboys-legend-larry-allen-passes-away-at-52

Cowboy lineman Larry Allen passed today. No cause of death mentioned.
94chem
Perhaps the greatest offensive guard in the history of the NFL. Certainly in the conversation with a select few. Superhuman strength, and the speed of a linebacker. The play he made on the INT return his rookie season would make any list of the top 50 plays in NFL history. Dan Deardorff nearly lost his mind.

Sad to hear of his passing, and sad to see yet another NFL legend gone way too soon.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sharpshooter
AG
Rookie season.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/video/throwback-thursday-larry-allen-chases-down-interception-266211
ApachePilot
AG
Loved hearing Madden talk about him during games.
txagman1998
AG
When I lived in Northern California several years ago I would go play poker on the weekends at a little cardroom attached to a bowling alley and every now and then, Larry Allen would pop in. His game of choice was $4-$8 Limit Omaha 8 or better, which is a small stakes game that I also played. He was a really quiet, yet approachable guy who just wanted to have a couple of drinks and play some cards from time to time (he always had a friend with him as the designated driver).

I remember congratulating him when it was announced that he would be entering the Cowboys Ring of Honor. He said thank you and told me he had a gift for me. He went out to his car and gave me a signed copy of the edition of Star magazine that announced his addition to the Ring of Honor.

Such a super nice guy and I pray that he rests in peace and his family finds comfort in their memories of him.
94chem
Great story. Really cool. I guess he really was a NorCal guy, with the Sonoma State connection. Kind of ironic that I shared my brief interaction with the legendary Bill Walton at Yosemite (which feels like NorCal) on the basketball board. Two of the all-times greats, and good people, gone too soon.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
RIP Larry Allen
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
94chem said:

Great story. Really cool. I guess he really was a NorCal guy, with the Sonoma State connection. Kind of ironic that I shared my brief interaction with the legendary Bill Walton at Yosemite (which feels like NorCal) on the basketball board. Two of the all-times greats, and good people, gone too soon.
He also played for the 49ers in 2006 and 2007.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Allen
Southlake
Best guard I ever saw play. RIP.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
His photo on Wikipedia is of him in a 49'ers uniform. Someone who can edit Wikipedia, please go change that and upload an image of him in the uniform he belongs in.

RIP Larry. By all accounts, a fantastic human being and a top 2 guard in NFL history.
Raiderjay
The most dominating lineman I ever saw play, but also a truly good guy.....prayers to his family....
GrandStand93
Ah man… I somehow missed this news. Super dude. He could move!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.