Wow, I had not seen this on the Kittles catch

2,529 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Iowaggie
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?

94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
94chem
And before you tell me he's not covered, look where the left tackle is.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sooner Born
It's definitely questionable whether he's a full one yard behind the LoS at the snap but it's close enough that it's not an egregious.

94chem
You're saying Kittle is in the backfield? Okay, then that means they had 5 players in the backfield.

You're saying he's on the line? Okay, then he was covered by the guy on his left.

You're saying the guy on his left was off the line? Okay, he's even with the left tackle.

94chem,
BMX Bandit
94chem
BMX Bandit said:

Right. That's the only way to interpret the play. People saying Kittle was off the line can't count to 4.

The confusion is that 44 is lined up in front of the LT. If that's considered in the backfield, then the LT should be flagged.
94chem,
DannyDuberstein
AG
If we are gonna play by the rulebook, it's a penalty. Honestly, this is an area that I think both college and the NFL need to make a point of emphasis because it seems like alignment is getting really, really sloppy. Just out of habit, i'm always looking for who is off vs on, and it's really half-assed a lot and very rarely called. Tackles are well into the backfield, multiple receivers on one side look like they are either both on or both off, etc.

This play is partly why the rule was created. Defenses shouldn't have to keep track of guys who were covered up.
BMX Bandit
kittle is on the LOS. he is not covered up. 44 is off the LOS.

they have 7 on LOS.
ramblin_ag02
AG
This is about #40 on the list of my ref complaints for that game. Ahead of it are the defensive line holding call, which I have never seen in my life. Also the missed block in the back against LVE. And then 37 missed holding calls against Micah Parsons
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I don't necessarily consider it missed given how ridiculously loose this is called now.
94chem
Need to stop letting OL line up like a flock of geese.
94chem,
Rex Racer
AG
ramblin_ag02 said:

This is about #40 on the list of my ref complaints for that game. Ahead of it are the defensive line holding call, which I have never seen in my life. Also the missed block in the back against LVE. And then 37 missed holding calls against Micah Parsons
I have seen that defensive holding called several times this year, but I think only once or twice in the previous 53 years.
94chem
Defensive holding was generally called like offensive pick plays, when there was a concerted effort to cheat. For example, the two defensive tackles might each grab their opponent to open up a hole for the LB. But calling it just because an OL can't get off his block to get to the second level? That's weak.
94chem,
Southlake
He was eligible.

Cowboys were also allowed to touch him once he touched the football.
Iowaggie
AG
I agree it is sloppy, and it happens like this on a lot of plays.

I'd add offense linemen downtown on pass plays needs to be enforced more consistently
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.