The Zeke contract cost the Cowboys big time

5,462 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Yellerjacket
Proposition Joe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jja79 said:

shiftyandquick said:

They should have let him walk. Invested that money in other players. But the Jones family, they're not very smart. And they always like to overpay their stars. They think "what will the fan say if we don't pay this guy."
The Jones are very smart. The dumbasses are the people who buy tickets, jerseys, caps and invest emotionally in the team. I went to my first Cowboys game 59 years ago. I lived and died with them. The last 25 years or more have taught me that the Jones know nothing about running a winning team. Until Jerry sells or hires a legitimate football man and walks completely away they'll never win.

I'm not sure I ever missed a game on TV from 1960 until about 2005 but since then I'll watch if I'm not doing something else but don't prioritize it. I have a brother in law who owns about 50 Cowboys caps and polos and talks about nothing else from September until they're eliminated. Then come July he's sucked back in and lives and dies with them. As long as morons like that exist they'll keep cashing in but they won't be winning.

Then one has to wonder what A&M Football fans are...
jr15aggie
AG
ElephantRider said:

That contract isn't over and Zeke is already a shell of his former self. He's effective in short yardage, but in the open field he looks like he's running in mud. Awful move by the front office.

In the Cowboys defense, this offseason has always been the "out" year for the contract. The contract was never really intended to go 6 full years unless Zeke was still one of the best players in the NFL at this point.
jja79
AG
I think he very much wants to win. He just doesn't realize he's the problem.
jja79
AG
I think we're delusional. You have to be 30 or older to remember us in a conference championship game and somehow much of the fandom has been convinced we're going to compete for the natty. We've won 10 games once in 25 years and are 39-21 with the $90MM man.
dc509
AG
Never give a running back the second contract. That includes Pollard. You can find someone in free agency or in the middle rounds of the draft.
Proposition Joe
jja79 said:

I think we're delusional. You have to be 30 or older to remember us in a conference championship game and somehow much of the fandom has been convinced we're going to compete for the natty. We've won 10 games once in 25 years and are 39-21 with the $90MM man.

I mean, my point is to call people dumbasses or morons for being big fans of the Cowboys is rather harsh... especially when you ran to the Cowboys thread to opine about it... you aren't as divested from them as you want to believe.

End of the day, it's what spectator sports and fandom is all about. Hoping this year will be the year, discussing why it wasn't, etc... End of the day like most other things it's just a way to pass the time and/or bond with others.
Ag Natural
AG
shiftyandquick said:

They should have let him walk. Invested that money in other players. But the Jones family, they're not very smart. And they always like to overpay their stars. They think "what will the fan say if we don't pay this guy."

The will get their chance. Most good teams aren't built by throwing money at FAs. You draft and develop. The truck is to invest in the right guys when it's time to pat. Zeke ended up being a bad call. But they've made several good decisions too.
jja79
AG
I haven't even clicked on this board all season until yesterday. I haven't watched more than 5 games this year because i knew the outcome. I'm not invested at all. I just find it fascinating people think Jones will ever deliver. People buying hats and tickets enable Jerry to run out this product.
Whirligigs
jja79 said:

I haven't even clicked on this board all season until yesterday. I haven't watched more than 5 games this year because i knew the outcome. I'm not invested at all. I just find it fascinating people think Jones will ever deliver. People buying hats and tickets enable Jerry to run out this product.

Man you are so full of crap. I swear people like you are the worst. Just admit you're a friggin cowboys fan and pissed they lost. It's okay to have a hobby in sports.
Zachary Klement
AG
JCA1 said:

This is the downside to drafting a RB high in the draft. No one wants to let the No. 4 pick in the draft walk after 5 years. But if they pan out, re-signing them is very expensive and usually not worth it.
It is no longer worth drafting a running back so high.

The only team that has won a title with a running back selected in the top ten in the last decade was the Bucs with Leonard Fournette...and he was drafted by the Jaguars.
Ag Natural
AG
jja79 said:

If you were "paying attention", you'd realize that the FO has built one of the best rosters in the league. They even withstood some key injuries to win 12 games have a chance in the playoffs. I don't see how you can put it on Jerry that his team hasn't been able to get over the hump. At least they've been a contender recently. You can't even really blame Jerry for putting too much pressure on this team... the fanbase does that. It's a freaking meat grinder.
Proposition Joe
jja79 said:

So you haven't paid attention to the Cowboys all season, yet you ran here right after the game was over to tell everyone they are dumb for paying attention to the Cowboys?

Had you just gotten off the phone with your ex-girlfriend reminding her you never think about her anymore?
dc509
AG
Zachary Klement said:

JCA1 said:

This is the downside to drafting a RB high in the draft. No one wants to let the No. 4 pick in the draft walk after 5 years. But if they pan out, re-signing them is very expensive and usually not worth it.

The only team that has won a title with a running back selected in the top ten in the last decade was the Bucs with Leonard Fournette...and he was drafted by the Jaguars.
I'll take that one step further. Never draft a running back anywhere in the 1st round. Trade back and add picks and/or players.

I don't really think teams should take one in the 2nd round unless he is legit stud and they a very complete team.
Macarthur
Man, I'm not sure I would go that far. I would say top 10.

If Bijan is there at 26, I would sprint to the podium to take him. Don't forget that for first round picks you get that extra 5th year under their rookie deal. That's huge.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

If Bijan is there at 26, I would sprint to the podium to take him. Don't forget that for first round picks you get that extra 5th year under their rookie deal. That's huge.

Correct. In the late 20's, all bets are off on position. If there are still 1st round graded players on the board you really want to take them.

RB / explosive offensive skill players are a huge need for this team, even if we bring back Pollard. I too would have zero hesitation taking him there.
dc509
AG
Macarthur said:

I think Bijan is going to be a good pro, but I still wouldn't take him in round 1. He's enough of a talent that if the team is already very solid I would in the the 2nd, but I would find something else in the first or trade back.
dc509
AG
jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

Correct. In the late 20's, all bets are off on position. If there are still 1st round graded players on the board you really want to take them.

RB / explosive offensive skill players are a huge need for this team, even if we bring back Pollard. I too would have zero hesitation taking him there.
If the Cowboys take Bijan in round 1 then it's going to be another 20+ years before we get past the divisional round.
Macarthur
dc509 said:

jr15aggie said:

Macarthur said:

If the Cowboys take Bijan in round 1 then it's going to be another 20+ years before we get past the divisional round.

I think folks are conflating two diff things here. The issue is that it's not smart to take a RB as high as the cowboys did w Zeke. But taking a great RB in the second half of the first is not that bad a move. Remember you also get that 5th year option too. The top RBs in the league are still mostly 1st or 2nd round guys.

The issue is that you don't give a RB the second contract.
jr15aggie
AG
He's not who I want in the 1st round, nor do I want to take a RB #1. But at 26, if he's the only player left with a 1st round grade, then you take him.

Very different circumstances with Zeke at 5 because there was other top talent we could have taken instead. I've heard that the Cowboys were surprised that Bosa was taken before their pick and he would have been the pick over Zeke.
Macarthur
jr15aggie said:

He's not who I want in the 1st round, nor do I want to take a RB #1. But at 26, if he's the only player left with a 1st round grade, then you take him.

Very different circumstances with Zeke at 5 because there was other top talent we could have taken instead. I've heard that the Cowboys were surprised that Bosa was taken before their pick and he would have been the pick over Zeke.

If you don't think Bijan is all that, that's fine. My point is basically what you are saying. If there is a RB there w a first round grade, it's not a bad pick if you think he's good value there.

People used to say you shouldn't take a guard in the first round. I think that myth has been dispelled.

Frankly, Zeke wasn't all that bad of a pick when you look at his production in the first 4 years. I still think it's too high for a RB but he was an absolute stud for 3 or 4 years. The prob was not letting him walk after the 4 years.
dc509
AG
jr15aggie said:

That's a fair take, but I would still rather trade back. You can find comparable production in later rounds or in free agency. The offensive line is what drives the running game these days. If you can block you can run it.

I've heard that about Bosa as well.
94chem
If Jalen Hurts can win, Dak Prescott can too. Much easier/cheaper to fire Moore and see if a new OC can craft an offense. Dak needs more deep throws, and way fewer passes in the flat.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Muy
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

I wish I was as dumb as Jerry Jones

If you start your childhood with $100million and tons of contacts, you'd be amazed at how "smart" you are.
shady
AG
Muy said:

MookieBlaylock said:

I wish I was as dumb as Jerry Jones

If you start your childhood with $100million and tons of contacts, you'd be amazed at how "smart" you are.
AgsMyDude
AG
Dak's contract too
LB12Diamond
AG
RB is the number one position in the NFL that a big contract is just silly. I was surprised they did it. And then, I laughed and thought, actually, no I'm not surprised.
Macarthur
Going to be interesting to see what NY does with Barkley. He had a great year this year, but has had injury issues.
LB12Diamond
AG
Zachary Klement said:

JCA1 said:

So no team has.
Yellerjacket
dc509 said:

Never give a running back the second contract. That includes Pollard. You can find someone in free agency or in the middle rounds of the draft.
That's what I was talking about with a buddy this morning. We looked at the top 20 in rushing yards this year, and you could take any of those guys and have a heck of a running back. They are everywhere nowadays.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.