40 Years Ago Today

2,138 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ac
Smeghead4761
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not just a catch, The Catch.

Smeghead4761
Sprint Right Option

I wonder if that might have worked against Alabama this past season?
BMX Bandit
No because king couldn't make that throw either
Bonfired
AG
I guess I'll be that dude...

41 years ago. Jan 10, 1982.

Pretty much signaled the changing of the guard in the NFC. Dallas made one more NFC title game, then didn't do much of anything good for nearly a decade.
Smeghead4761
I'm getting old and can't count.

I was 8 in 1982. First football I really remember.
Smeghead4761
BMX Bandit said:

No because king couldn't make that throw either
Not having a 6'4" wide receiver who can get up like that wouldn't make it any easier.
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
W
AG
Cowboys returning to the scene of the crime
DannyDuberstein
AG
W said:

Returned before and won a Lombardi for their trouble. Go do it again
Smeghead4761
W said:

Yes and no. Candlestick Park was demolished years ago. Replacement stadium isn't even in San Francisco.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

W said:

Yes and no. Candlestick Park was demolished years ago. Replacement stadium isn't even in San Francisco.
With my dad and twin brother, I went to the 49ers' last game at the Candlestick Park on on December 23, 2013 against the Atlanta Falcons. The stadium was demolished in Winter 2015 and the site will be used for a mall and residential/office complex. Since 2014, the 49ers have played at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara.

https://www.stadiumsofprofootball.com/stadiums/candlestick-park/#:~:text=The%2049ers%20played%20their%20last,mall%20and%20residential%2Foffice%20complex.

91AggieLawyer
AG
Its interesting that the so-called catch keeps coming up when the Cowboys have scoreboard over the 49ers in the playoffs over the years, including some very close games.

The Cowboys/49ers met for the first two NFC Championship games in 70 and 71 with the Cowboys winning both. The former was the last game played in Kazar Stadium (if you saw Dirty Harry, THAT was the stadium he shot the bad guy in). Then, in '72, the Cowboys scored 2 late TDs to come back and beat the 49ers in a divisional game on the same day as the Immaculate Reception in Pittsburgh.

Then, roughly a decade goes by, and the 49ers luck out with a busted play and a catch, not to mention a shoestring tackle of Drew Pearson that prevented him from scoring a winning TD. Again, a decade goes by and they meet for 3 more NFC-C games with Dallas winning 2.

All told: 8 games, 5 wins. All but 2 were NFC-C games where Dallas was 4-2. No one shed much of a tear over last year's loss. The Cowboys weren't going anywhere anyway.
ac
The '72 game had an interesting storyline. Roger Staubach suffered a shoulder injury in preseason and Craig Morton QB'd the Cowboys to the playoffs that year. But in that first round game at SF, Morton & the Cowboys played poorly and were behind 28-13 in the 4th quarter. Coach Tom Landry decided to send Staubach into the game and he ignited an incredible rally by directing the offense to 2 late TDs with the help of an onside kick.

As pointed out, the Immaculate Reception was earlier that day. I've always wondered what the mood in the Bay Area must have been.
ac
whoop1995
AG
Joe montana was the best tackler in football as well

Sorry still bitter from when I was in the stands watching him with the chiefs beat the oilers in playoffs 1993
I collect ticket stubs! looking for a 1944 orange bowl and 1981 independence bowl ticket stub as well as Aggie vs tu stubs - 1926 and below, 1935-1937, 1939-1944, 1946-1948, 1950-1951, 1953, 1956-1957, 1959, 1960, 1963-1966, 1969-1970, 1972-1974, 1978, 1980-1981, 1983-1984, 1990, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010
aginlakeway
AG
Cowboys were a horse collar tackle away from winning the play after "The Catch." So close ...

aginlakeway
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Its interesting that the so-called catch keeps coming up when the Cowboys have scoreboard over the 49ers in the playoffs over the years, including some very close games.

The Cowboys/49ers met for the first two NFC Championship games in 70 and 71 with the Cowboys winning both. The former was the last game played in Kazar Stadium (if you saw Dirty Harry, THAT was the stadium he shot the bad guy in). Then, in '72, the Cowboys scored 2 late TDs to come back and beat the 49ers in a divisional game on the same day as the Immaculate Reception in Pittsburgh.

Then, roughly a decade goes by, and the 49ers luck out with a busted play and a catch, not to mention a shoestring tackle of Drew Pearson that prevented him from scoring a winning TD. Again, a decade goes by and they meet for 3 more NFC-C games with Dallas winning 2.

All told: 8 games, 5 wins. All but 2 were NFC-C games where Dallas was 4-2. No one shed much of a tear over last year's loss. The Cowboys weren't going anywhere anyway.

It was a horse collar tackle by Wright. But Pearson 100% would have scored without it.
W
AG
SF gets the win on the 40th anniversary
ac
W said:

SF gets the win on the 40th anniversary
Actually, it's the 41st anniversary.
ac
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.