The geographic absurdity of the old NFC West

5,643 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by swc93
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1836er said:

The Porkchop Express said:

1836er said:

swc93 said:

W said:

this is very true.

my grade school teachers were impressed that I could spell Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc..,at a young age...thanks to the NFL and MLB
The NFL #2 pencils helped me with that.
Oh... I loved those pencils

Wow. Rediscovering these pencils is my early leader for post of the year. I used to trace the helmets with them too.
I used to collect the little plastic football helmets (that were also made into pencil sharpeners) from gumball machines too.

I had the plastic football helmets as a kid (not pencil sharpener version), and still find one at parents house occassionally.

My wife got me an updated set about 15 years ago, and while watching RedZone or a game, would have my kids set up helmets of the teams playing each other while we watched so that they would all be able to recognize NFL football teams by helmet.

We don't watch as much football, and the kids have mostly grown, so they don't do that anymore. For the playoffs, we still set them up before the weekend and dump the losers back into the bucket after each game. I think out of nostalgia, the youngest just set up the 8 helmets on Monday night during the Cowboy game (although jinx possibilities did cross my mind).
W
AG
that has crossed my mind with regard to college football.

why not play your college rival twice in one season.

would be great for ticket sales and probably TV ratings as well
MSFC Aggie
AG

1836er said:

swc93 said:

W said:

this is very true.

my grade school teachers were impressed that I could spell Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc..,at a young age...thanks to the NFL and MLB

Wow. Rediscovering these pencils is my early leader for post of the year. I used to trace the helmets with them too.
This. Post can't be blue star'd enough. I totally forgot about those pencils.
The Porkchop Express
MSFC Aggie said:

1836er said:

swc93 said:

W said:

this is very true.

I also had this hardback book, Portrait of a Season, that was a gift from my great uncle who used to work as a spotter for the Oilers. Complete story of the 1980 football season with pictures of every single game and recaps as well. I had this book memorized by the time I was 10 or 12.

Had giant two-page spread photos of great players and plays, a few in color for each "fourth" of the season and the rest in black and white.

One of my favorite photos from it.

MSFC Aggie
AG
94chem
W said:

that has crossed my mind with regard to college football.

why not play your college rival twice in one season.

would be great for ticket sales and probably TV ratings as well

If you had 4 16 team conferences, you'd play your own division twice, one other division, and one division from another league. That's 14 games. You have an 8 team league playoff.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
88Warrior
MSFC Aggie said:

1836er said:

swc93 said:

W said:

this is very true.

Anyone remember the NFL team stickers in the loaves of Rainbow Bread?
Iowaggie
AG
swc93 said:

W said:

this is very true.

Thought of this thread when I saw this tweet, and yes it was true.

Back then, the Raiders, Steelers, and Oilers were the prized pencils. You could count on them. Even the Cowboys wouldn't be freely given away or used for a mere social studies assignment.

Now a days, god forbid you try to use a Dallas Cowboys pencil in January. That's just asking for disappointment.
swc93
AG
Pencil fight? Sure; Chargers, Cardinals, Colts...always the first to go.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.