Vikings trade for backup QB

1,403 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by EliteZags
djktamu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They just traded for Kirk Cousins "backup" in Nick Mullens, and they have Sean Mannion. Either Mannion or Kellen Mond may be the odd man out. There's always the practice squad. The Vikings making this trade doesn't bode well for one of them. Mond had a very rough game vs the 49ers, after doing pretty well vs the Raiders
Southlake
Mond > Mullens
ac04
most likely they will cut mannion and send mond to PS. IMO
BMX Bandit
ac04 said:

most likely they will cut mannion and send mond to PS. IMO

Don't think he's eligible
ac04
i think the rules related to accrued seasons have changed post-COVID. plus he only has one anyway and i think the limit was two. not 100% sure tbh.

guess they could go mannion to PS and just cut mond, but that's a tough pill to swallow for a 3rd rounder after only one season. they both suck though.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Mond is terrible
Hope he likes Birmingham in June
Enviroag02
AG
Southlake said:

Mond > Mullens

Have you watched both play? Mullens played pretty well for the Niners.
txagman1998
AG
Minnesota kept 3 QBs on the roster last year. If they keep 3 this year, I would expect Mannion to be the odd man out. He is entering his age 30 season and over 6 career seasons he is winless in 3 starts and has 1 career TD pass in 110 attempts. That doesn't fit the profile of a third QB, which is usually a developmental role. Mond is entering his age 23 season and at least theoretically could still develop into a capable backup.
jr15aggie
AG
Mond was the 2nd pick in the 3rd round last year (66 overall I think)... teams don't cut those guys in year 2 unless they are absolutely terrible. Pretty sure Mond is safe this year. And I seriously doubt they will try and put him on the practice squad because that would mean another team could claim him, which is highly likely.
ac04
i think they signed mullens because they don't want to carry 3 QBs, rostering just mullens instead of mond and mannion frees up a spot for someone else. hanging on to mond because of his draft capital would be a great example of sunk cost fallacy, but NFL teams make those mistakes all the time so i guess its possible.

but it is not a good sign that camp reports indicated mond was struggling, then he lays two eggs in the preseason (except for one nice drive), and then they go and sign another backup QB who has started 17 games in the league. mond is hanging on to a spot on the 53 man by a thread right now IMO. will be interesting to see how it plays out.
MookieBlaylock
AG
and Mond is cut

Hope he gets his ego massaged
amercer
AG
Already been picked up
EliteZags
AG
Browns rostering 3 of the same player at QB while waiting on Watson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.