Massive Announcer Carousel Incoming?

3,879 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by batchuser
J.P. 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Never in my wildest dreams did I think we'd ever need a thread to track off-season announcer movement, but thanks to Amazon picking up the rights to Thursday night games and trying to make a splash, here we are.

Sounds like Troy Aikman is close to leaving Fox for Monday Night Football. Surely they're not gonna pony up $18+ million a year just to pair him with Steve Levy, right? Does ESPN make a run at Joe Buck?

Sean McVay was rumored to be close to a $20 million/year offer from Amazon before he supposedly re-committed to coaching the Rams. With these dollar amounts being tossed around, sounds like things could get crazy this off-season.

My question is….why? Do people really tune in to watch a game because of who's announcing or because of the teams playing?

Will be nice to have something to keep us busy until the Combine and Draft this off-season, I suppose.
J.P. 03
AG
Is TexAgs' favorite broadcaster gonna be the one who finally says yes to all that Amazon money? This dude at the NY Post seems to think so:

Quote:

In its search for its "Thursday Night Football" analyst, Amazon has looked for big names, trying to lure Troy Aikman, Sean McVay and John Lynch into the booth when it begins its exclusive coverage this fall.

It failed to land any of them.

Now, The Post has learned, Amazon is eyeing the biggest analyst in college football, ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit, for its lead NFL Thursday night game analyst spot.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/27/amazon-eyeing-espns-kirk-herbstreit-as-its-top-nfl-analyst/

Would be one of the greatest double-dips of all time if he could keep his ESPN gig and supplement it with $15-$20 million a year from Amazon on the side. He might be crying tears of joy this time.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Herbstriet already seems stretched too thin. His CFB analysis has become much more surface level as he'a gotten older and busier. It's one of the many reasons GameDay has fallen off IMO
Max Power
AG
Agreed, sometimes it seems like the ESPN college football guys are running on fumes. If Amazon is looking to hire some up and coming talent I'd recommend they talk to Greg Olson. He hasn't been doing the job very long but I do think he's got talent.
LB12Diamond
AG
Most of the time I have the announcers muted.
Bunk Moreland
I'm guessing ESPN pairs up Aikman with Al Michaels.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Quote:

My question is….why? Do people really tune in to watch a game because of who's announcing or because of the teams playing?
I'd watch a ManningCast, regardless of who's playing.......otherwise, I base my viewing on who's playing, with little care of who's announcing.
J.P. 03
AG
MSFC Aggie said:

Quote:

I'd watch a ManningCast, regardless of who's playing.......otherwise, I base my viewing on who's playing, with little care of who's announcing.
You bring up a really good point: If ESPN is about to shell out all that money to bring Troy Aikman over to MNF, are they still going to also pay the Mannings to lure viewers away from their primary broadcast?
. . .
Sea Speed
AG
This is wild to me. The only thing people EVER do is ***** about the announcers. How do these people add any value. 20 million a year for 17 nights of work? I know I know, they study film, rosters, interview players etc etc in preparation, and that takes time, but they are basically just talking heads. Unbelievable.
toucan82
If you're paying more than $2 billion a year to broadcast the games, you might as well pay $20 million for a good announcer
jr15aggie
AG
Sea Speed said:

How do these people add any value.

You ever heard that chick call a college football game?

Pay the men, pay them whatever they want!
. . .
J.P. 03
AG
So is Al Michaels moving exclusively to Amazon, or will he keep his SNF gig too? Seems weird that Troy Aikman said having to work both Thursdays and Sundays was a big reason he was looking to leave FOX, but now 77 year-old Al Michaels is signing up to pull double duty? I can't imagine the dude needs the money bad enough to put himself through that.
. . .
Mostly Amazon. Tirico & Collinsworth will do SNF.

Quote:

Michaels will still do a game or two for NBC, including its extra NFL playoff game, according to sources.

NBC: Mike Tirico & Cris Collinsworth
CBS: Jim Nantz & Tony Romo
ESPN: Joe Buck & Troy Aikman
Amazon: Al Michaels & Kirk Herbstreit

FOX reportedly leaning towards promoting Kevin Burkhardt & Greg Olsen
J.P. 03
AG
Ah, that makes sense. And I don't think FOX has any other choice at this point but to promote from within, unless they want to grossly overpay someone else's B-team.
Shoefly!
AG
. . . said:

Quote:

Michaels will still do a game or two for NBC, including its extra NFL playoff game, according to sources.

Hmmm imagine that! Not one diversity hire on the announcer panels.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Shoefly! said:

. . . said:

Quote:

Hmmm imagine that! Not one diversity hire on the announcer panels.

color me purple Oprah, but Mike Tirico just may be black
. . .

toucan82
So 5 years from now? Good to lock him up early
. . .
Drew Brees leaving NBC after one year
MookieBlaylock
AG
Does he get to keep the hair?
batchuser
Drew "all lives matter" Brees. Lost all respect for that dude when he crawled on his knees to apologize. He's going to do whatever his wife tells him to do
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.