Dak Prescott

10,601 Views | 153 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Kellso
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty evident a lot of you have no idea how the NFL salary cap works. Dak and Zeke make up 19% of the cap, not 30%. That's not outrageous.

This contract isn't going to last until year 4. This is a show me deal for both Dak and the Cowboys. It's why it's a 4 year deal with a pretty easy out after 3. That's nothing.
Enviroag02
AG
I think its asinine to compare Dak and Zeke's salary relative to the salary cap. That's like saying we pay you so much because we can. Their salaries should be compared to their peers in the same positions or relative to their value above replacement. In that regard Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are grossly overpaid. I get that there are other factors such as age, health, team fit, etc, but..

QB's better than Dak: Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Wilson, Tannehill, Herbert, Murray
RB's better than Zeke: McCaffrey, Cook, Henry, Kamara, Chubb, Barkley, Taylor, and maybe Jacobs, Sanders, Mixon
WR's better than Cooper: Hill, Adams, Metcalf, Ridley, Hopkins, Diggs, AJ Brown, Jefferson, Robinson, Julio, Evans, Thomas, Allen, McLaurin

Dak is definitely not Top 2. Zeke is definitely not Top 3, and Cooper is definitely not Top 4.

Macarthur
Enviroag02 said:

I think its asinine to compare Dak and Zeke's salary relative to the salary cap. That's like saying we pay you so much because we can. Their salaries should be compared to their peers in the same positions or relative to their value above replacement. In that regard Dak, Zeke, and Cooper are grossly overpaid. I get that there are other factors such as age, health, team fit, etc, but..

QB's better than Dak: Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Jackson, Mahomes, Wilson, Tannehill, Herbert, Murray
RB's better than Zeke: McCaffrey, Cook, Henry, Kamara, Chubb, Barkley, Taylor, and maybe Jacobs, Sanders, Mixon
WR's better than Cooper: Hill, Adams, Metcalf, Ridley, Hopkins, Diggs, AJ Brown, Jefferson, Robinson, Julio, Evans, Thomas, Allen, McLaurin

Dak is definitely not Top 2. Zeke is definitely not Top 3, and Cooper is definitely not Top 4.

That is not how contracts work. With Clev, Balt & Buff signing their guys this offseason (poosibly), it's quite possible that Dak's contract trails all three of those before he ever takes a snap next year. That is NOT how this works.

And I disagree pretty strongly with your lists. Murray, Herbert & Tannehill are NOT better than Dak. Period. Murray...are you serious? And have you looked at Dak's numbers next to Watson? They are almost a mirror image. There is very little daylight there.

Your list of WRs better than Cooper is highly flawed, as well.

The top paid QB in the league has EVER rarely been the BEST QB in the league. It's all about when someone signs. Geez how many years does this conversation have to go on before folks understand that.
Enviroag02
AG
I get that it is about WHEN guys come up due for contracts, but that by no means has to mean that the next contract sets the market or exceeds a previous mark. That is the biggest problem with this whole thing. People and players have just been conditioned to think that way. It's stupid.

and yes a healthy Murray is better than the current risk of a not so healthy Dak.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Enviroag02 said:

The QB's you named wouldn't be the ones that are the "replacement" for Dak. Realistically, that list this year is Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpartick or Andy Dalton from free agency, giving up a TON of draft capital for Watson or Wilson (if either of their teams would be willing to deal), or moving up in the draft to take a chance on a rookie QB not named Trevor Lawrence.

Even if all the QB's you listed are actually better than Dak (they're not), only Watson and Wilson are worth discussing as "replacements". And those guys would mean giving up tons of cheap, instant impact players from the draft.
gigem1223
Enviroag02 said:

There's absolutely no way you're serious with that list. I hope you're trolling.
Kellso
Enviroag02 said:

QB's better than Dak:
Watson (maybe. Their stats are about identical),
Rodgers (sure, but he's old),
Brady (" "),
Allen (nope),
Jackson (would love to see how good Lamar is with a crappy defense) ,
Mahomes (sure),
Wilson (sure, but getting up there in age and lost a playoff game to Dak),
Tannehill (GTFO),
Herbert (GTFO),
Murray (GTFO)
Enviroag02
AG
I can see how Tanny, Herbert, and Murray would shock some, but Dak isn't healthy. There is alot of risk there. Josh Allen is without a doubt better than Dak.
jr15aggie
AG
Enviroag02 said:

Josh Allen is without a doubt better than Dak.

So you just gonna ignore Allen's first two seasons and just cherry pick this year when everything went according to plan for the entire Bills team?

If that's the game we are playing then I'll take the 2018 Carson Wentz... he's without a doubt better than Dak too.

This is getting silly.
Enviroag02
AG
Allen has improved every single year, culminating with this year.
PooDoo
AG
I think the game is taking 2021-22 projected Dak versus 2021-22 all others.

Highly likely that the young QBs that have been improving will continue to improve.
Macarthur
Some people have absolutely lost their freaking mind...
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

Agreed. You and I usually see eye to eye so it's not surprising. We are surrounded by morons!
BryanAggie2013
AG
Enviroag02 said:

It's already been said, but I feel the need to pile on. The RB list I can buy, WR & QB rankings are laughably bad.
Kellso
Macarthur said:

I hate to say it.....but there is a real racial component to this entire contract saga.....and FTR I'm not accusing anyone on this thread of this.

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't want a black guy to be the quarterback of America's Team.

The lengths that some Cowboy "fans" have gone to discredit Dak are ridiculous. The guy is not a perfect player, but he is really good, and has proven that repeatedly.
I think when his career is over he will make Cowboys fans forget about Tony Romo.
jr15aggie
AG
Gotta say I completely disagree. This is no different than the crap we heard when Romo was a QB. These are the same fans that boo'd Troy Aikman towards the end and were yelling to put Randal Cunningham in the game.

Certainly no logic or reasoning involved and no racism either.
Southlake
Yeah, this year Allen passed Dak.

But geez, Tannehill? You crazy?
PooDoo
AG
If he was winning playoff games, Cowboy fans would give a **** what color he was.

The percentage of people that are affected by Dak's race is so small its ridiculous to give it so much discussion.

The fanbase that embraces Michael Irvin is racist? GTFO with that.
Ryan34
AG
The total $$$ isn't surprising to me. Of course the Cowboys would pay Dak. The alternative is irrelevance until you find the next QB, which can take a looong time.

The amount guaranteed does surprise me, especially given the injury.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

Allen took a good step forward but there was a time when many thought Wentz past Dak. I want to see Allen put another year together before I agree with this.
gigem1223
I'm in the camp of Allen > Dak. I watched nearly every Buffalo game this year, not sure I've seen a QB improve in 1 year more than Allen did from 2019 to 2020. Allen to me is the only QB in the league with the arm talent to go head to head with Mahomes.

How I'd rank current QBs
Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen
Brady
Watson
Dak
Jackson

1 thing I do love about the Cowboys future is the future of the QB position in the NFC. Wilson (32), Rodgers (37), Brady (43). Wilson dropped off heavily in the 2nd half last season and may not even be in the nfc within the next year or so. Rodgers will likely be in the league still by end of Dak's contract and who the hell knows with Brady. TL will be in the AFC. So unless Watson gets traded to an NFC, Dak is likely to be one of, if not the best QB in the NFC for the next decade.
Macarthur
I'm not saying Allen doesn't have a bright future but he's had one bad year. One very mediocre year and one really good year. I just think it's premature to say he's top 5 yet.
gigem1223
Don't disagree with your thoughts. More eye ball test with me. May be a bit biased too since he literally carried my fantasy team to the championship.
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
If Dak wanted to win Super Bowls instead of just get paid, he would have done what TB12 has been doing for a decade.

Cowboys aren't gonna win sheet with Dak.
TyHolden
AG
It's Jerry's money and he's probably only got 4-6 years left. Let dak sink in.
dave94
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

If Dak wanted to win Super Bowls instead of just get paid, he would have done what TB12 has been doing for a decade.

Look at the cap hit for this year, it's not prohibitive.. That's the key.
Kellso
jr15aggie said:

Gotta say I completely disagree. This is no different than the crap we heard when Romo was a QB. These are the same fans that boo'd Troy Aikman towards the end and were yelling to put Randal Cunningham in the game.

Certainly no logic or reasoning involved and no racism either.
You know what man, you might be right.

Tony Romo debates were also polarizing. Romo also had many haters in Dallas.
I used many of the same arguments I'ved used for Dak defending Romo extension,

I generally think both are above average to very good quarterbacks.

Like I said...my comment is more social media/ real world. You will see some really nasty comments about Dak that will make your head turn....but to be fair Romo also got lots of hate for all his chokes.
Macarthur
dave94 said:

The CAP number just came out to 182.5. The cowboys will be able to carry over $27 from last year. The cowboys will have PLENTY of cap room to sign several players.
redag06
Macarthur said:

Southlake said:

Allen took a good step forward but there was a time when many thought Wentz past Dak. I want to see Allen put another year together before I agree with this.
Allen was a legitimate MVP candidate this year(he had more votes that Mahomes). He just lead his team to the conference championship, sure he could regress, but I highly doubt it. Dak has more of a chance to regress due to the injury.
Macarthur
redag06 said:

Macarthur said:

Southlake said:

Allen was a legitimate MVP candidate this year(he had more votes that Mahomes). He just lead his team to the conference championship, sure he could regress, but I highly doubt it. Dak has more of a chance to regress due to the injury.

I don't think he will regress either but no one thought Wentz would either. I'm just saying let's see him do it another year before anointing him.
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

dave94 said:

The CAP number just came out to 182.5. The cowboys will be able to carry over $27 from last year. The cowboys will have PLENTY of cap room to sign several players.

And the talking heads are saying that due to the cap not going up as much, there will be a much higher number of top FAs sitting out there this year. There will be more high level cuts than normal. This will be a good year to have cap space and shop in FA
Macarthur
Macarthur said:

redag06 said:

Macarthur said:

Southlake said:

I don't think he will regress either but no one thought Wentz would either. I'm just saying let's see him do it another year before anointing him.

Let's not forget either that there are whispers that Lamar may have been figured out by some DCs. The NFL is a year to year league.
Southlake
The playoff experience for Allen was invaluable. They say you have to go there to compete there. He's played at the level; Dak hasn't. And, it's not guaranteed he will recover to 100%.
jr15aggie
AG
Here's a question/exercise that I've used to help make sense of the deal:

If we think this contact was too rich, how else should we have used the cap space to make our team better?

First of all, so many people say Mahomes is worth that, Wilson is worth that, but Dak isn't. OK fair enough, but Dallas does not have the ability to negotiate with any of those players. Of the players that Dallas has access to, tell me which free agent or current players would you have rather put that money towards?

Would you rather not pay Dak so we have money to bring back Chido. Jordan Lewis or X Woods? How about saving that money so we can extend LVE next year? What about using that money to re-sign Dalton and using the rest on free agent defenders?

Winning the NFC East is always step 1 for every season. What option gives us the best chance at winning the NFC East over the next 3 years?

For me the answer is obviously Dak and it's not even close. We can argue all we want about how we need to do a better job of talent acquisition... but as it stands right now, there isn't a player on this team that is better than Dak. I'm not saving that cap space for any other current player or a free agent that for one reason or another some other team let walk.
Macarthur
Southlake said:

The playoff experience for Allen was invaluable. They say you have to go there to compete there. He's played at the level; Dak hasn't. And, it's not guaranteed he will recover to 100%.

Okay, so I don't want this to become us arguing over Allen because I think he's got a bright future, but you're using him to diminish Dak.

Allen has played 4 playoff games and Dak has played 3. Dak's playoff numbers are better than Allen. If you want to bring up the ankle, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but you can't use playoffs as some barometer to show Allen has somehow passed Dak.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AlleJo02.htm#passing_playoffs

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01.htm#passing_playoffs

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.