How 'bout that Jimmy Johnson!!!

2,856 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by ac
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Exactly. He basically suckered Minn into more picks that they didn't think they'd actually have to surrender. It was brilliant. He also took trading picks and moving positions on draft day to a level the league had never seen before, but it was a strategy that has left a legacy. Everyone else followed. That draft day pick value chart that you see referenced every year now? Jimmy created it. Draft day pick swapping is partly how they landed Emmitt Smith.

And again, teams have stockpiled a slew of great picks in the past. It didn't mean they turned them into great players and a championship team.

If I recall, he made over 50 trades in his 5 years, which was more than the rest of the league combined in that time-frame. The NYG's made one in that time, and it was with Jimmy. But look now and I think there were about 40 trades in the 2019 draft alone. The HOF does have a history of crediting guys for trailblazing. He was great at identifying his guys and then finding creative ways to get them.
JRB78
Bobaloo
Howie Long is most definitely an HOFer. Great interior lineman; superb athlete.
Confucius
Quote:

Beyond this, Jerry Jones looks like an idiot for not letting jimmy in the ring of honor.
Jimmy might literally be the only NFL HOFer who is not in their team's HOF. Another reason Jerry is an idiot.

But my God, anyone who doesn't think Jimmy is HOF worthy really doesn't understand how bad the Cowboys were in the late 80's.
micahb2002
AG
Jimmy revolutionized the draft, and his trade value chart is still used today by every team. He inherited a team that Tom Landry was 3-13 with the year before. They were in the Super Bowl four years later after 51 trades and excellent drafting. He was a master motivator whose Dallas career was cut short by Jerry's buffoonery. He was a legend as far as CEO head coaches go. Bill Belichick and other coaches go fishing in Islamadora and the Keys with him just to get coaching advice, especially on the management side.

Longevity and not recreating the magic in Miami are certainly criticisms, but what he did in Dallas in that short of a time span is amazing. And, he was a national championship NCAA coach before that, so he isn't going to have the tenure of the NFL lifers.
CajunAg97
AG
Interesting tidbit, he recruited Terry Bradshaw to come to La Tech when he was an asst there....had no idea.
WhoHe
AG
Let me preface this by saying I'm a lifelong Cowboys homer who is a huge Jimmy fan ...

Coach A:
  • 9 yrs
  • 2 teams, taking 3 years off between jobs
  • 80-64 (.556)
  • 13-9 playoffs (.692)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 division championships
  • 2 Super Bowls

Coach B:
  • 11 years
  • 114-62 (.648)
  • 15-10 playoffs (.667)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 6 division championships
  • 2 Super Bowls

Not sure how Coach A (Jimmy Johnson) is a HOFer and considered some sort of coaching genius, while Coach B (George Seifert) will never be given true HOF consideration and is thought of as having just inherited his good teams.

Give Jimmy credit for structuring the Walker deal, and for identifying and drafting key players with those picks. But don't forget, Landry drafted Irvin and Troy was the no-brainer 1:1 that Landry would have drafted had he not been fired.

And while Seifert definitely stepped into an amazing situation in SF with Montana in '89, he has to be given credit for transiting the 49ers dynasty form Montana to Young and making that difficult move to cut Montana loose.

My point in all of this is that I don't think either guy really deserves to be in the HOF - but if Jimmy is, how can Seifert not be?
micahb2002
AG
Jimmy kicked Seifert's butt at home and on the road in the Championship games. Jimmy built his team. Seifert inherited his team. Jimmy's players won another Super Bowl with Bozo the Switzer. 3 to 2 Super Bowls, essentially.
Confucius
WhoHe said:

Let me preface this by saying I'm a lifelong Cowboys homer who is a huge Jimmy fan ...

Coach A:
  • 9 yrs
  • 80-64 (.556)
  • 13-9 playoffs (.692)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

Coach B:
  • 11 years
  • 114-62 (.648)
  • 15-10 playoffs (.667)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

Not sure how Coach A (Jimmy Johnson) is a HOFer and considered some sort of coaching genius, while Coach B (George Seifert) will never be given true HOF consideration and is thought of as having just inherited his good teams.

Give Jimmy credit for structuring the Walker deal, and for identifying and drafting key players with those picks. But don't forget, Landry drafted Irvin and Troy was the no-brainer 1:1 that Landry would have drafted had he not been fired.

And while Seifert definitely stepped into an amazing situation in SF with Montana in '89, he has to be given credit for transiting the 49ers dynasty form Montana to Young and making that difficult move to cut Montana loose.

My point in all of this is that I don't think either guy really deserves to be in the HOF - but if Jimmy is, how can Seifert not be?

Seifert and Barry Switzer is a more apt comparison. Neither deserve HOF recognition based on what they inherited. You even acknowledge that Seifert walked into a completely different situation than Jimmy.

That's why blind resumes don't work for this type of honor. Yes, it's about results to a degree, but more about what kind of impact you had on the professional game. Jimmy's impact is unquestioned for the previous reasons listed.
DTP02
AG
Before we give Jimmy too much credit for personnel genius, remember Steve Walsh? That pick could have been Cortez Kennedy or Junior Seau. Jimmy was really fortunate that decision didn't hurt him worse than it did, when New Orleans overpaid for the overmatched Walsh. It also strained the relationship with Aikman which could have been worse if Troy was more petty.

Jimmy was pretty overmatched early on.

Jimmy did a great job overall, but he started off very badly and his Miami tenure was just okay. I think he's more deserving for the Ring of Honor than the HOF. I've always liked the sustained excellence "requirement" of the HOF, and I don't think Jimmy meets that threshold because his period of sustained excellence is just too short.
WhoHe
AG
Confucius said:

WhoHe said:

Coach A:
  • 9 yrs
  • 80-64 (.556)
  • 13-9 playoffs (.692)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

Coach B:
  • 11 years
  • 114-62 (.648)
  • 15-10 playoffs (.667)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

Seifert and Barry Switzer is a more apt comparison. Neither deserve HOF recognition based on what they inherited. You even acknowledge that Seifert walked into a completely different situation than Jimmy.

That's why blind resumes don't work for this type of honor. Yes, it's about results to a degree, but more about what kind of impact you had on the professional game. Jimmy's impact is unquestioned for the previous reasons listed.

When Seifert won the SB in '95, how many guys from that team were starting for Walsh in '88? Seifert did inherit a great team, but he also built his own SB winner 6 years later.
micahb2002
AG
WhoHe said:

Confucius said:

WhoHe said:

Coach A:
  • 9 yrs
  • 80-64 (.556)
  • 13-9 playoffs (.692)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

Coach B:
  • 11 years
  • 114-62 (.648)
  • 15-10 playoffs (.667)
  • 2 sub-.500 seasons
  • 2 Super Bowls

When Seifert won the SB in '95, how many guys from that team were starting for Walsh in '88? Seifert did inherit a great team, but he also built his own SB winner 6 years later.

At a minimum, the greatest receiver to ever play the game. Possibly the best offensive player ever.

Looks like Jesse Sapolu also.
ac
WhoHe beat me to the punch about Seifert's 2nd SB win being with "his" team. Even at that, Seifert was an assistant on Walsh's 49ers so he had some contributions to those trophies as well.

One other point about Jimmy Johnson: Another of his key moves came after 1990 when he fired David Shula and brought in Norv Turner as OC. Without Turner, would Troy Aikman have developed into an HOF QB and won those SBs? How much credit should Turner get for JJ's induction?

Since Cowboy fans have always complained that the HOF discriminates against them, maybe this questionable induction can silence them on the issue.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.