NFL overtime rule?

4,606 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by DannyDuberstein
91AggieLawyer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ac said:

The problems with college OT are:

1. Ridiculous "basketball scores". (i.e. - A&M/LSU in 2018).

2. The stats get all skewed. This would annoy fantasy league players.

Most NCAA OT games are over in one, maybe two OT periods. I think 7 is the record and its only been done like 3 times. This isn't a problem at all.
91AggieLawyer
AG
diehard03 said:

Quote:

The problems with college OT are:

1. Ridiculous "basketball scores". (i.e. - A&M/LSU in 2018).

2. The stats get all skewed. This would annoy fantasy league players.

3. Creating a brand new ruleset, which never existed in the previous 60 minutes and bring in different strategies, just for the sake of generate some sort of result is fundamentally stupid.

1. There's no "new" ruleset. Only a few differences as to when and what can be done. Everything done in OT can be done earlier in the game, except that they've changed a few hows, whens and wheres. Plus, there's nothing preventing, say, a punt in OT; there's just no incentive for a team to do it.
2. Any changes exist because the first 60 minutes didn't produce a winner. The hope is that narrowing down certain things in a lesser amount of time will produce a winner.
3. There's absolutely nothing stupid about it. You may not agree with it or like it, but that doesn't make it stupid.
4. If you don't value producing a winner of each game, that's fine, but again, that's YOUR opinion and I'd have to tell you that you're in the VAST minority. I'd bet I could hand count the number of people that share your opinion on this in the US.

It would only be stupid if they were doing something totally unrelated to the game, like having a deep snapper hike the ball over the goal post from progressively longer yardage, in OT. But that doesn't happen.
diehard03
Yikes.

1. it's a significant change in rules to give the ball to each team on the opposing 25 yard line. You can't just put the ball down, and say "well, everythings the same but that!" when teams count on using field position as part of the their strategies. Let's not do the internet thing where you think that i am saying that teams can line up offsides in OT if they want to.

edit: just for clarity...I think just giving the ball the each team at the 25 is a fundamental enough change to be like your hiking the ball over the goal.

2. This "hope' is the the "generate some sort of result" I am talking about. it's forced and is a disservice to both teams playing the game.

3 & 4:. Well, that's just your opinion, man. That's the thing about opinions: their validity is not a majority vote decision. I am fine with ties. Neither team earned a victory or a loss based on the play in regulation. I don't think we should amend the rules just to force a winner to appease our American-ness.

91AggieLawyer
AG
diehard03 said:

1. it's a significant change in rules to give the ball to each team on the opposing 25 yard line. You can't just put the ball down, and say "well, everythings the same but that!" when teams count on using field position as part of the their strategies. Let's not do the internet thing where you think that i am saying that teams can line up offsides in OT if they want to.

That's not a change in the RULES. Teams snap from the 25 yard line with a first and 10 at other points during the game. Everything is the EXACT same in the first quarter as it is in the OT period when this happens. Since both teams have equal opportunities to start their OT possessions from the 25, neither are put at a disadvantage in terms of field position. If a team wants to make field position an issue in OT, its simple: their defense should create negative plays for the offense. Otherwise, it should have played better in regulation so OT wouldn't have been needed. Anytime a team has first and 10 from their opponents 25, all field position issues are the same, be it the first quarter or in OT. If the defense lets them drive to their 25 in the first, they've given up field position just like if they get to OT, they've given up the ability to use an entire game of field position to win, because they didn't win in 4 quarters. It is really a pretty easy concept.

Either way, this isn't a change in the rules any more than starting the third quarter with a kickoff after ending the second quarter in the middle of a team's possession. You didn't start the second quarter that way, right? So by your "logic," it is changing the rules. If not, why not?

OT creates a different starting point than the other quarters have. It is no more complicated than that. There are no rules CHANGES in OT; it is simply how things are done just like other transitions. There are other examples of this: on a try (extra point), defense intercepts, is running back for a TD, defensive teammate holds, official flags, play ends. Result? Penalty declined BY RULE. There's no mark off, replay of the down, take on the next play, nothing. No choice whatsoever. This is an odd occurrence that doesn't happen in most other cases. But it happens here. Other minor examples: defensive pass interference can only occur between the time the pass is thrown to when it is complete/incomplete (i.e. ball in the air). However, offensive pass interference can occur anytime between the snap and end of pass. Fair? Unfair? Neither -- just different. Football is like this which makes it a great game.

Quote:

Quote:

edit: just for clarity...I think just giving the ball the each team at the 25 is a fundamental enough change to be like your hiking the ball over the goal.

I think that's absurd, but whatever.

Quote:

2. This "hope' is the the "generate some sort of result" I am talking about. it's forced and is a disservice to both teams playing the game.

There's no disservice. No team in NCAA history, as far as I'm aware of, has walked off the field refusing to play OT. They want to win. Every team involved in a tie prior to the 1995 or 96 rule chance would have wanted this. They may not agree with the way its done per se, but they want to play to win.

Quote:

3 & 4:. Well, that's just your opinion, man. That's the thing about opinions: their validity is not a majority vote decision. I am fine with ties. Neither team earned a victory or a loss based on the play in regulation. I don't think we should amend the rules just to force a winner to appease our American-ness.

I'm OK with your opinion here though I disagree with it, but as stated there's no amendment. Just different rules applied at different times.
ATM9000
AG
So your validation point that the rule doesn't *******ize the game... is that no teams have forfeited in protest of it?

What nonsense.

I personally think college football OT is super dumb and not near as fair and even as its' biggest apostles make it out to be due to the major information advantages built into its' rules... but that doesn't mean I'm not watching it out of protest.

I just think it could be way better if they moved to the NFL's current system... which is incredibly unnecessary in the NFL if it isn't a playoff game in my opinion.
Wildmen06
AG
Just make it like soccer and have them play an entire quarter, no sudden death.

If it's still tied after that make a linemen throw footballs into a barrel to see who makes
More.
rab79
AG
jkag89 said:

jjmanzano said:

Out in Left Field said:

Nothing dumber than NFL overtime rules
except college OT. It's pretty much baseball.
Huh?
well it is if you consider each possession as an inning.
kb2001
AG
I would prefer the NFL to go one of two ways for OT. Either make it more like soccer and basketball, where you play extra time, and whoever is ahead at the end of that wins, sudden death in football is stupid. Or, make it like college OT, but start the possession at the 35 or 40 yard line, where a FG is significantly more difficult. Either way is a big change, but waffling in the middle is even worse.

College OT is more exciting, it puts the teams in the ultimate test. Red zone offense vs red zone defense. It's weird to change to a "take your turn with a short field" model, but football is such a heavily possession based sport, everything is centered around it, it's really not that much of a stretch. The easy bailout FG is the problem with it. On a 3 and out with no yards gained, the FG isn't that difficult, only 42 yards. Start it at the 35 or 40 yard line and the FG is not as automatic, things get more interesting. A sack basically puts you out of FG range.

Looking at it more generally, ask yourself what sucks about NFL OT, then try and solve that. Hockey OT in regular season got boring because teams played for the tie. The risk of getting 0 points was not worht it to go for 2 points. They fixed this by giving 1 point for an OT loss. Now there is incentive to go for the win, and no risk in doing so.

For me, NFL OT sucks because the team with first possession usually wins it. You solve that by giving teams each a possession. The NFL has gone half way there, but an opening TD still wins it. That is still a problem in my mind. Either make it no longer sudden death, or move to a "shoot-out" type of conclusion, for football that is the college OT format.
Buck Compton
AG
You can't just do soccer-style in this age of player safety. You have to limit exposure to injury. Regulation did not produce a winner, so I want the quickest way to fairly determine a victor (or else declare a tie).

As for your non-empirical thoughts on NFL OT, it's actually more fair than college OT. College OT penalizes certain styles of team by fundamentally changing the way offense and defense have to play.

Your stats about "the team with the ball first usually wins" isn't even accurate. I'm on mobile so I'll have to go find the stats again tomorrow, but it's quite close to 50/50 which team wins. The current system allows for a full possession (or multiple possessions) to be played in the same way the game is played to decide a victor. The only change I can see see an argument for would be guaranteeing each team a possession, regardless of TD.
BMX Bandit
don't know the stats for this year, but prior to the season:

NFL overtime winning toss and receiving won 52% of time
college team winning toss and electing defense won 54% of the time

ORAggieFan
Soccer doesn't go until someone wins. Soccer allows for ties at the end of OT, or goes to PK, which is way different than the regular game. Imagine going to a FG contest if tied in the playoffs!

NFL OT is just fine.
MB19
AG
As far as the NFL goes, I'd like to see the rule be where each team gets one possession guaranteed. Team A returns OT kickoff for TD and kicks PAT. Team B takes possession, drives down and scores TD. Now go for 2 and the win? Or kick PAT and continue?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I love the college format. Not an issue for the playoffs, but for the regular season, the NFL reducing to 10 minutes has made their OT format more silly IMO. Clock becomes a factor with any OT's that have grinder drives. And stats or no stats, I want to see both teams get a crack with the ball.
Forum Troll
AG
NFL overtime.
jr15aggie
AG
Forum Troll said:

NFL overtime.

If you couldn't win it in regulation and you give up a TD in OT, sorry, you have no excuses.
Forum Troll
AG
In MLB they should change the rules. If away team hits a HR in the top of of the 10th the game is over, but if they score one run on a single it will still go to the bottom of the 10th.
ATM9000
AG
Forum Troll said:

In MLB they should change the rules. If away team hits a HR in the top of of the 10th the game is over, but if they score one run on a single it will still go to the bottom of the 10th.

Not even close to the appropriate analogy for what NFL OT actually is.
Mr President Elect
AG
MB19 said:

As far as the NFL goes, I'd like to see the rule be where each team gets one possession guaranteed. Team A returns OT kickoff for TD and kicks PAT. Team B takes possession, drives down and scores TD. Now go for 2 and the win? Or kick PAT and continue?
The odds of winning are more even in the NFL than in college because the team that gets to go second (in college) has a big advantage knowing what they need to do. If you were guaranteed a possession in the nfl, then the team that wins the coin toss would always defer and probably have an even bigger advantage than the team getting the ball first currently has.

That being said, I wouldn't mind ensuring both teams get possession, but reduce the quarter to 8 minutes and if the team going first uses up all the time and scores at the last second then too bad for the other team. Adds a little risk / reward to deferring.
Aggie97
AG
Go to what decided HS playoff games in TX before OT. Penetrations.
MB19
AG
Aggie97 said:

What was the order? Penetrations, first downs, then what?
boy09
AG
willjohnathan said:

MB19 said:

The odds of winning are more even in the NFL than in college because the team that gets to go second (in college) has a big advantage knowing what they need to do. If you were guaranteed a possession in the nfl, then the team that wins the coin toss would always defer and probably have an even bigger advantage than the team getting the ball first currently has.

That being said, I wouldn't mind ensuring both teams get possession, but reduce the quarter to 8 minutes and if the team going first uses up all the time and scores at the last second then too bad for the other team. Adds a little risk / reward to deferring.
The odds of winning the toss/winning the game in the NFL are VERY close to the same odds of the team the gets the ball second winning in college, both ~55%.

I believe under the old NFL overtime rules, the team that won the toss won more than 60% of the time.
diehard03
Quote:

Now go for 2 and the win? Or kick PAT and continue?

You're going to be sorely disappointed. 95% of the time, they will kick the PAT.

That 5% will only occur if there was an injury on the scoring teams defense that shifts the calculus in favor of the 2pt conversion.
PatAg
AG
I think the current version would work if they just made it to where both teams get a possession no matter what. First team scores a TD, 2nd team has a chance to match
diehard03
Quote:

I think the current version would work if they just made it to where both teams get a possession no matter what. First team scores a TD, 2nd team has a chance to match

Doesn't solve what the networks want. You can already see the tweets for the games where both teams score TDs and we are back to the old OT rules anyway.
DannyDuberstein
AG
MB19 said:

Aggie97 said:

What was the order? Penetrations, first downs, then what?
Pretty sure it was total yards. Then coin flip

When I was in 10th grade, we were 8-1-1 and missed the playoffs due to penetrations in the tie that we had. That was back in the day when only 2 teams from the district made the playoffs, not this 4 team 2 bracket business.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.