***** NFL Free Agency Thread *****

23,014 Views | 189 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by . . .
Grapesoda2525
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gigem1223 said:

Desean Jackson traded back to the Eagles
That sucks. The guy is so annoying.
Grapesoda2525
The big question is who will the cowboys pick up at safety?

Collins, weddle, and honey badger are off the board.

I'll blow my own brains out if heath is back and is the starter.
MooreTrucker
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

The big question is who will the cowboys pick up at safety?

Collins, weddle, and honey badger are off the board.

I'll blow my own brains out if heath is back and is the starter.
Don't make promises you're not gonna keep.
. . .
  • Bills sign John Brown(3y/$27M) & Cole Beasley(4y/$29M)
  • Broncos sign Ja'Wuan James(4y/$52M) & Kareem Jackson(3y/$33M)
  • Browns sign Sheldon Richardson(3y/$39M)
  • Cardinals sign Jordan Hicks(4y/$36M)
  • Chargers sign Thomas Davis
  • Colts sign Devin Funchess(1y/$13M)
  • Saints re-sign Teddy Bridgewater & sign Latavius Murray(4y/$14.4M)
  • Jets sign Josh Bellamy, C.J. Mosley(5y/$85M)
  • Packers sign Billy Turner(4y/$28M), Preston Smith(4y/$52M), Za'Darius Smith(4y/$66M) & Adrian Amos(4y/$37M)
  • Raiders sign Lamarcus Joyner
  • Texans sign Tashaun Gipson(3y/$22M)
  • Vikings sign Shamar Stephen(3y/$12.45M) & re-sign Anthony Barr(Barr previously agreed to deal with Jets)
. . .
Odell Beckham to the Browns

Vernada
AG
. . . said:

Odell Beckham to the Browns

Wha....!?
mAgnoliAg
Olsen
AG
Odell's professional career will die now.
ac04
odell just upgraded his QB significantly. really his entire supporting cast just improved (save barkley, but chubb is also very good).
Ryan34
AG
This is a weird feeling. The Browns are probably going to be good. It's like a whole new world.
tylercsbn9
AG
Good Aggie Hunting said:

Odell's professional career will die now.

Why?

Good, young QB.
Fantastic fellow receivers in Landry (who he played with at LSU)
Chubb and Hunt in the backfield.

Browns went 5-2 down the stretch. They finally got a competent front office and are making big time moves. In a winnable division. Steelers are a ****show. Same with the Bengals. Ravens aren't anything to write home about.
mike_ags_fan12
Baker, Chubb, Kareem Hunt, OBJ, Jarvis, Njoku..

Gotdamn...

Hue Jackson is somewhere crying
mAgnoliAg
AG
Odell and Landry reunited
bilbobag
Looking like Bell isn't going to get more or even equivalent to what the Steelers offered..
mAgnoliAg
AG
Whatever the browns odds of winning the division are, I would put my life savings on it happening.
aggiepaintrain
AG
has Hunt been reinstated?

Losing Peppers is going to hurt but their offense is scary now
Mike Elko
AG
Cleveland's stacked on both sides of the ball. Good for them (and Myles).

Edit: typo
hoosierAG
AG
Working on a 3 yr deal with earl thomas now
redag06
Someone doesn't realize that the browns are on the right track
mAgnoliAg
AG
So y'all see what was actually included in the trade? Olivier Vernon and Eli Apple also going to the Browns. Zeitler, peppers, this year's 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and next years 7th to the giants.

Dee Ford traded to the 49ers
k20dub
AG
GCP12
AG
Bell signs with Jets. 4 years $52.5 million
JABQ04
AG
Cleveland's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.
Bunk Moreland
bilbobag said:

Looking like Bell isn't going to get more or even equivalent to what the Steelers offered..

Exactly what I said last year during all this. Never going to make up for thr $14M he didn't earn last year but everyone was so sure it was such an edgy negotiating tactic. He's also going from a 3% flat state income tax to 8% at the salary he's drawing in NY.

What a bizarre 2 situations for Pitt. Oh well. Glad they're both gone.
MountainAg99
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

So y'all see what was actually included in the trade? Olivier Vernon and Eli Apple also going to the Browns. Zeitler, peppers, this year's 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th and next years 7th to the giants.

Dee Ford traded to the 49ers

Eli Apple was traded to the Saints during the season. The Olivier Vernon trade was separate transaction for the Giants. In aggregate, that is what they are getting from all of those trades.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Oh yeah I thought he played for the saints I was wondering what the person I saw was talking about
MountainAg99
BBQ4Me
AG
Yep. Bell played himself. His only redemption is to ***** himself out to NYC marketing deals
W
AG
what's hilarious about all this...the way the sports media goes bonkers over these trades and signings. And heaps endless praise on the teams that acquire these players.

completely ignoring that all of them have baggage and the potential to cause serious locker room problems
BBQ4Me
AG
Players tend to be locker room cancers only with their original team, not the team that signed them in FA. The only ones that come to mind are TO and Haynesworth
amercer
AG
UMichAg said:

Yep. Bell played himself. His only redemption is to ***** himself out to NYC marketing deals

He ended up with more fully guaranteed money. He probably will make less total than other offers he turned down in the last few years, but if he wanted security over potential, he got it.
Bunk Moreland
amercer said:

UMichAg said:

He ended up with more fully guaranteed money. He probably will make less total than other offers he turned down in the last few years, but if he wanted security over potential, he got it.

Quote:

Last year, the All-Pro halfback turned down the Steelers' offer for a reported five years and $70 million with $33 million of that guaranteed in the first two years. He would have earned $45 million over three. He also then declined to sign their franchise tag that would have paid him $14.54 million guaranteed last season.

He gambled against himself while he thought he was gambling on himself. It's an absolutely boneheaded decision by him.

Pitt offered him $33M last year over 2 years. So he would have made $2M less (with lower state income tax in Pitt than NY) over 2 years in guaranteed money. Even if Pitt cut him after that (they wouldn't have), he'd be 1 year earlier towards signing another deal elsewhere.

At the very least he ****ed himself by not playing and forgoing the $14.5M tag when he rejected their extension offer.

So instead, he made nothing last year, and now gets $35 guaranteed over the next 2, which is one year longer to sign another deal should the Jets cut him after his 2 years of guaranteed money are up.

Best conservative decision: Take the Pitt offer and gamble that they will keep you around for 4 years and then either force yourself out then or if you're still producing, sign an extension.

Best risky decision: Play on the $14.5M tag and sign this type of deal (or one greater because he would have dominated behind that OL last year in Pittsburgh) and cash in elsewhere.

Worst decision of all: Sit out, make no money, watch James Conner produce very well in that offense, sign meh deal with the Jets.
Bunk Moreland
Golden Tate signs with NYG.

I know 99.9% of people are making fun of the Giants but I like the move now that they've signed Tate.

Yes they have $21M in dead cap space but it's Eli's final year anyway...it was always going to be a struggle if they weren't going to cut him.

Knowing Eli is staying, I think I'd rather have #17, #80, Peppers & Tate than OBJ.
amercer
AG
Under any contract that Pittsburgh offered him, if he blows out his knee out in year 1 he gets less money than he is guaranteed now.

A career altering injury in year one is unlikely, so he probably cost himself some money. But it was his risk assessment to make, and it exposes the crappy nature of nfl deals.

Also he's a jet now, so we'll never hear about him again.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

and it exposes the crappy nature of nfl deals.

He exposed what everyone knew and wasn't in dispute?

Solid expose by Bell

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.