Would realignment help interest in the NFL?

5,568 Views | 75 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Look who's ducking the politics board
LeonardSkinner
Quick scan of the thread, and I didn't see this thought.

More natural geographic alignment might mean more visiting fans at the games. If I'm a big fan of my team and the rest of the division teams are just a hop, skip, and a jump away from my hometown, then the odds are that much better that I might go.

And maybe look at it in terms of connections. As a Jacksonville native, I have no interest in Nashville or Indianapolis, and while I have an ex in Huntsville and tenuous Aggie and family ties to Houston, I'm sure that's an anomaly compared to other Jax natives.

On the other hand, I have strong family ties to Tampa and Atlanta, and have friends in Miami. I can go see Grandma and catch an NFL game.

If I were ever to move, or if I already had, it's likely it was just a relocation within a general region. I can still see my team come to my new city yearly.
Sea Gull
AG
Kellso said:

The NFC East is the most elite division in the NFL.

It is the only division where every team is in a major media market. The big market and heavy concentration on sports in Dallas, New York, Washington DC and Philadelphia means those games almost always have major ratings.

Tex Schramm was a genius in getting the Cowboys to play in the NFC East. Im not sure if the Cowboys would be as popular if they had always played in the NFC south.

Playing against huge East Coast markets is one of the reasons the Dallas Cowboys are a National Sports Franchise and a World Wide brand.

Agree. Very genius move.
LeonardSkinner
Just for the hell of it...

Go to regional divisions (8x4). Ditch AFC/NFC. Seed division winners 1-8, and the division runners up 9-16. Playoffs look like a regional NCAA tournament bracket, 1 hosts 16, and so forth. The best two teams end up in the Super Bowl.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

Cowboys-Eagles is a premiere NFL rivalry.

Rivalry, maybe, but not a premiere one. I can list at least 3 that are ahead of it (Redskins, Giants, and Packers) and another one (Steelers -- though admittedly this has faded over time) that is borderline equal. This rivalry peaked with Buddy Ryan and that was over 25 years ago. Heck, Houston might catch up soon.

Both teams hate each other, but most NFL teams' fans hate the Cowboys too.
Kellso
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

Rivalry, maybe, but not a premiere one. I can list at least 3 that are ahead of it (Redskins, Giants, and Packers) and another one (Steelers -- though admittedly this has faded over time) that is borderline equal. This rivalry peaked with Buddy Ryan and that was over 25 years ago. Heck, Houston might catch up soon.

Dallas-Philadelphia is a premier NFL rivalry. Most years at least one of the two matchups are a nationally televised game.

Two very large metro areas with both having around 7 million people, Two very rabid fanbases.

If the games are normally on a Sunday or Monday night. It is a premier NFL rivalry.
Pahdz
I agree with what Bond said about the AFC North. It's about the perfect division, those teams are all so close and lots of crossover on fan boundaries. I would say though switching the Ravens for Colts would make it even more regionalized.
91AggieLawyer
AG
You can't seriously suggest that TV matchups dictate rivalries. The Cowboys have been on SNF 38 times -- only 10 with Philly. The same number as with the Giants. Cowboys/Redskins played 6 times and the Giants/Eagles played 7. NBC likes the NFC east -- big fanbases and good ratings overall.

Very few Cowboys fans would rate the Eagles rivalry higher than what I put it -- at least 4th or 5th on the list. If the Eagles aren't one of the Cowboys premier rivals, how could Cowboyds/Eagles be one of the NFL's?
BMX Bandit
Who is putting cowboys-eagles 5th???

Did you really put packers above it? Come on man...
jja79
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

I saw my first live Cowboys game 53 years ago at the Cotton Bowl and have been watching them ever since. I live in Houston. I can't believe you think Cowboys v Texans is or ever will be a rivalry. I don't know a Cowboys fan who even thinks about Houston. I hate the Eagles. It's a rivalry.
ac
Philadelphia has the most unruly sports fans in the nation. They hate the Cowboys more than any other franchise. If that's not a top 5 rivalry, then I don't know what else could be.
2ndGen87
AG
This seems better to me. People complain that it wouldn't work, but it works very well for college. Even on this forum, Dallas - Houston fights happen more than Dallas - Philly.

AFC East - (NY & Mass)
New York Giants
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots

AFC West - (the weakest with 4 leftovers)
Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings

AFC South (Fla-Ga)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Atlanta Falcons

AFC North (DC Area - Penn)
Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
Philadelphia Eagles

NFC East (Tenn-Car + Ohio)
Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

NFC West (Cali)
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders

NFC South (Texas-Mo)
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
Kansas City Chiefs

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

2ndGen87
AG
2ndGen87 said:

This seems better to me. People complain that it wouldn't work, but it works very well for college. Even on this forum, Dallas - Houston fights happen more than Dallas - Philly.

AFC East - (NY & Mass)
New York Giants
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots

Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings

AFC South (Fla-Ga)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Atlanta Falcons

Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
Philadelphia Eagles

Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

NFC West (Cali)
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders

NFC South (Texas-Mo)
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
Kansas City Chiefs

NFC North (Wisc, IL, Mich & Ind)
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

TexasAggieJTL
AG
Never gonna happen.

Dallas, Washington, Philly, & NY ....too much history and natural rivalry.
ATM9000
AG
2ndGen87 said:

AFC East - (NY & Mass)
New York Giants
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots

Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings

AFC South (Fla-Ga)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Atlanta Falcons

Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
Philadelphia Eagles

Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

NFC West (Cali)
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders

NFC South (Texas-Mo)
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
Kansas City Chiefs

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

So... here Colts I found a spot for you. Minnesota? Sorry guys but **** you! Those 55 years of the natural and geographic rivalry you've had w/ your division cohorts? Down the drain... makes way more sense to pair you with Arizona and Seattle and Denver instead. But hey! Every 4 years, you'll get to play them again and maybe you can get an awesome preseason rivalry going like the Texans have with Cowboys and pretend that it matters a bunch!
W
AG
I still think there are more franchises and fanbases (like the Texans) that would be willing to explore other options...than franchises and fanbases (like the Cowboys) that would not
W
AG
cowboys-packers is moving up the list after a playoff game like today.

they will play again in the regular season next year and perhaps again in the playoffs too
Frok
AG
As a Texans fan I wouldn't mind a little shake up however there aren't many better options where you can upgrade without ruining a good rivalry. Maybe we can trade the Jaguars for the Saints from the NFC.
2ndGen87
AG
ATM9000 said:

2ndGen87 said:

AFC East - (NY & Mass)
New York Giants
New York Jets
Buffalo Bills
New England Patriots

Arizona Cardinals
Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks
Minnesota Vikings

AFC South (Fla-Ga)
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Atlanta Falcons

Washington Redskins
Baltimore Ravens
Pittsburgh Steelers
Philadelphia Eagles

Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns

NFC West (Cali)
Los Angeles Chargers
Los Angeles Rams
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders

NFC South (Texas-Mo)
Dallas Cowboys
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
Kansas City Chiefs

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Chicago Bears
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

So... here Colts I found a spot for you. Minnesota? Sorry guys but **** you! Those 55 years of the natural and geographic rivalry you've had w/ your division cohorts? Down the drain... makes way more sense to pair you with Arizona and Seattle and Denver instead. But hey! Every 4 years, you'll get to play them again and maybe you can get an awesome preseason rivalry going like the Texans have with Cowboys and pretend that it matters a bunch!
So, switch Minnesota and Indy.
ApachePilot
AG
How is the AFC West the weakest again?
Boiling Denim
AFC East
1. Patriots
2. Dolphins
3. Jets
4. Chiefs
5. Steelers
6. Ravens
7. Colts
AFC West
1. Bengals
2. Browns
3. Broncos
4. Seahawks
5. Cards
6. Rams
7. 49ers

NFC East
1. Cowboys
2. Giants
3. Redskins
4. Eagles
5. Vikings
6. Bears
7. Packers
NFC Central
1. Lions
2. Falcons
3. Bucs
4. Saints
5. Texans
6. Titans
7. Panthers

Development League
1. Bills (Canada)
2. Raiders (Mexico)
3. Chargers (Vegas)
4. Jags (London)
5. New Team
6. New Team
Development games on Thursday Night, Sunday Morning and Monday Night every 2 weeks

All NFL games on Sunday. You can even go to a 14 game season and just play division home/away or stay at 16 and have rotating games with ther division. Use Preseason to play other conference.
BMX Bandit
W said:

cowboys-packers is moving up the list after a playoff game like today.

they will play again in the regular season next year and perhaps again in the playoffs too

Yet still below cowboys v Eagles
Mr.Bond
AG
Boiling Denim said:

AFC East
1. Patriots
2. Dolphins
3. Jets
4. Chiefs
5. Steelers
6. Ravens
7. Colts
AFC West
1. Bengals
2. Browns
3. Broncos
4. Seahawks
5. Cards
6. Rams
7. 49ers

NFC East
1. Cowboys
2. Giants
3. Redskins
4. Eagles
5. Vikings
6. Bears
7. Packers
NFC Central
1. Lions
2. Falcons
3. Bucs
4. Saints
5. Texans
6. Titans
7. Panthers

Development League
1. Bills (Canada)
2. Raiders (Mexico)
3. Chargers (Vegas)
4. Jags (London)
5. New Team
6. New Team
Development games on Thursday Night, Sunday Morning and Monday Night every 2 weeks

All NFL games on Sunday. You can even go to a 14 game season and just play division home/away or stay at 16 and have rotating games with ther division. Use Preseason to play other conference.
ATM9000
AG
So name your teams then. Keep in mind shared market teams would never want to be in the same conference (Oakland and sf or the ny teams or now the LA teams)

If you really think through it with TV implications and long standing rivalries, what you'll find is probably 5 or 6 of the division's ever team would say hell no to moving divisions. There are a couple of head scratchers in terms of geography (think Dolphins now), but the division's by and large make sense to traditional rivalries and geography.
Ryan34
AG
IMO there are 4 teams that don't really fit the geography of their current divisions: Miami, Kansas City, Dallas and Indianapolis. Dallas will never move and there really isn't an obvious choice to take KC's place in the West.

Swapping Miami and Indy would make sense. Miami used to have nice rivalries with the other AFC East teams back when Marino was around, but they're not very meaningful anymore. Selfishly I'd like to swap New Orleans and Jacksonville too. So you'd have:

AFC East:
Indianapolis
New England
Buffalo
NY Jets

AFC South:
Houston
Tennessee
Miami
New Orleans

NFC South:
Atlanta
Tampa
Jacksonville
Carolina
Frok
AG
It's hard to find a better alignment. Geographically Dallas should be in the NFC South and Carolina should be in the East. There is no way that would ever happen.

I wish the Texans could be in the division with Pittsburgh again like the old AFC Central.
BMX Bandit
This thread is classic "solution in search of a problem"
Mr.Bond
AG
I really like this, and it would seem plausible
Ryan34
AG
BMX Bandit said:

This thread is classic "solution in search of a problem"

For the most part, I agree, but I do think Jacksonville is a problem. The NFL seems determined to make a team work in that small market, so the obvious solution (relocation) is out. If you put them in the NFC South, they'd have a much better chance of drawing people to the games. New Orleans and Houston would make a lot of sense as division partners as well.

Beyond that, I think it's dumb that Miami is in a division with 3 northeast teams while Indianapolis is in the "south." That's one where there really isn't a "problem," but the solution makes a lot more sense than the current situation (IMO).
ac
Very few people outside the Deep South are aware of this, but an intense rivalry exists between the Falcons & Saints. Those teams won't want to give that up.

The problem with putting nearby teams in the same conference is that it creates TV issues. If you put the Cowboys & Texans in the FOX conference, then the CBS affiliates in Texas don't have a regional team to show and the FOX ones have the dilemma of which team to show.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
From a household that loves the Broncos and Saints, I'd hate for any of these suggestions to ever gain any traction. Taking all three divisional (HATED) rivals away from Denver and putting them with three NFC teams but calling it the new AFC West would piss a lot of people off. Separating the Saints and Falcons while throwing New Orleans in with three teams that they don't care about one bit also sucks.

I'm sure there are examples for just about every other fan base as well. Those rivalries might not have the history of the NFC East, but the whole idea of realignment is looking like a bad idea for everyone. Proximity doesn't always lead to better rivalries, especially when it comes at the expense of actual existing rivalries that people have cared about for many years.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
ac said:

Very few people outside the Deep South are aware of this, but an intense rivalry exists between the Falcons & Saints. Those teams won't want to give that up.
Absolutely. If suddenly we've got two games each against the Cowboys and Texans, that doesn't move the needle for me one way or the other. But take away the games against the Falcons (and to a much lesser extent the Bucs and Panthers)? I'd be pissed, as would the people from those organizations.
Mr.Bond
AG
People would get over it. I'm a die hard Astros fan, I was beyond pissed leaving the NL Central and great rivalries with St Louis and Chicago. But I can easily say I've grown to hate the Texas Rangers far more than I ever did those two. Mostly due to proximity. Their fans live close to me and visa versa. No doubt a Houston/New Orleans rivalry would be awesome
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Sure it could be great for Houston, but not New Orleans. I'm an Astros fan as well, and I still don't think of the Rangers any differently than I did ten years ago. But even if I did, it's a poor example because the Astros didnt have a natural rivalry before the move anyway. Cardinals? Cubs? Those were great games for us, but those teams don't see the Astros as a true rival. They only see each other.

In football, especially in the cities that we're discussing, the rivalries mean more. Interesting that it sounds good to a Houston fan, because the Texans don't have a rival either. Titans maybe? I have no idea. But New Orleans already has an established rivalry, and that can't be replaced by Houston. I'm sure Cowboy fans would say the same. As would Bronco fans.

Ending rivalries doesn't mean quite as much to people who don't have them (or to those who are upgrading in every other area - see A&M/SEC), but they mean a lot to the rest of us.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Duck Patrol said:

Do not want. Plus the NFL would never break up the NFC East. Too much history there.
Yeah it's much more than Dallas-Washington....Dallas-Philly Dallas-NYG and Philly-NYG have all become pretty big too.

Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.