Job Network
Sponsored by

Transitioning to tech

836 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by infinity ag
doback
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm trying to leave my industry and to go into tech(coding, dev ops) what's the best route for me? Have a bachelors in BA, 6 years of work experience
infinity ag
doback said:

I'm trying to leave my industry and to go into tech(coding, dev ops) what's the best route for me? Have a bachelors in BA, 6 years of work experience

Do you enjoy programming? Do you know any programming language? Any software experience?

The market is a bit tight right now with all the layoffs so it may take some time even if you have the above. Usually getting into tech is best through QA (Quality Assurance) jobs. You can take a quick course somewhere and get in. My wife did that and she is now a project manager through incremental jumps.
doback
Any links for courses? I have no experience, so I'm open to anything
BadMoonRisin
AG
what's your current industry?
infinity ag
doback said:

I would not recommend programming if you don't have any experience or know what it entails. I think QA is the way to go to get your feet in the door.
As for course, I would not do online courses. Search for career ed courses in your area and spend the money to do that. My wife paid $800 in 2014. It may more more now but worth the effort.
AustinAg2K
I think there is enough free stuff out there that you don't need to spend any money on courses to learn to program. YouTube has tons of great stuff. Some boot camps offer staffing services once you graduate, which is really the only reason to pay for one. Otherwise, just use YouTube and blogs. For someone who is self motivated, there is more than enough free stuff out there.

Just saying tech, though, is too broad. There is software development, data, security, networking, operations, etc. You need to decide the direction within tech that you are interested. Even within an area like software development, you've got front end development, back end development, AI, etc.

Pretty much, you just need to decide what you want to do and then go out to YouTube and look for tutorials. For example, if you want to be a DevOps engineer, just go search for, "How into be a DevOps Engineer" and you'll get plenty of resources. Once you've gone through enough tutorials that you start to feel like you know what you're doing, start creating your own projects. It doesn't have to be something unique. It could be something that has been done a hundred times, but having a GitHub repo you can put on your resume will help when you don't have experience. Do something like create a chat bot or a simple video game, etc.

Once you've got some projects you can show people, start looking for a head hunter to help you with your job search.

As mentioned above, the market is very tight right now. Companies over hired a few years ago, and are now tightening their belts. Don't expect anyone to take you on and teach you. You will be expected to hit the ground running.

The one skill that seems really hot right now is AI, both creating new AI and incorporating existing AI into products
There is plenty of stuff out there about how to use AI and how to create your own AI, but you'll need to know how to make AI relevant to your specific field. For example, how to use AI to help with security, etc.
infinity ag
doback said:

If you want to learn programming on the side, go to
https://www.w3schools.com/

They have free tutorials to everything you need. And you can practice online as well.

I have used it myself for quick refreshers. My kids used it for school too.

Quote:

The one skill that seems really hot right now is AI, both creating new AI and incorporating existing AI into products

There is plenty of stuff out there about how to use AI and how to create your own AI, but you'll need to know how to make AI relevant to your specific field. For example, how to use AI to help with security, etc.

I am an AI Product Manager, and I am finding it hard to find a job with a lot of experience. So yes, market is very very tight. Not many jobs around and too many people fighting for them.

That is why, for someone with no exposure/experience in info tech, I really recommend starting with QA jobs. Those take common sense more than any fancy training and the pay is pretty decent. For the first job, take whatever they offer and then build from there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.