Job Network
Sponsored by

Anyone ever work in Brunei?

949 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by LCE
BeatHellOutOfTU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Considering an Expat opportunity… anyone work there? Pluses minuses? How are schools for kids?

Thanks!
moses1084ever
AG
Never worked in Brunei but lived in Singapore for 14 years which is just a hop away. I can ask around my network to see if I can find anyone who's lived there. I have one friend who used to do quite a bit of work with their government on the investment/finance side, but he lived in SG.

Perks... You've got fantastic regional travel opportunities all just short flights away. The fishing is pretty good off Borneo. You've got world class diving not too far away (Pulau Sipadan). You've also got the ability to do some road trips around Malaysian Borneo. Kota Kinabalu is a great town where you can do some hiking/climbing as well as diving.

Drinking is illegal but there's always somewhere to get it on the down low.

People in SE Asia are generally pretty relaxed. It's safe, don't do anything to offend Muslims and you'll be fine. Remember that you're a visitor in their country and act as such.

You're smack dab in the tropics so its hot and humid year round. It rains a lot during NE Monsoon (October to Jan-ish).

International schools are usually pretty good. One thing to take note of... they are generally for profit enterprises... so they're always upselling on stuff. Not unusual for kids to go international field trips ($$$).

If you're looking for advice on package, some things to consider:
- Housing allowance
- Car allowance
- Schooling (international schools for expats are $$$)
- Cost of living adjustment
- Salary uplift
- Paid flights home X times per year (or cash)
- Tax equalization + company pays for your taxes to get done
- Old school packages used include club memberships (golf club, sailing club, international clubs, etc.)
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
Thanks! I had my interview Sunday… I thought it went well, so we will see. No car allowance and I think the club may be extra, but everything else you listed is covered/included. My wife is from the Philippines so it's close to her family. Overall I think it sounds like a great opportunity. Will be hard to make the football games though!
LCE
AG
Curious. What would be seen as offending Muslims?
BeatHellOutOfTU
AG
LCE said:

Curious. What would be seen as offending Muslims?

Eating drinking during Ramadan, depending on country your clothing (showing too much skin), I would also think you need to be cautious of using fowl language in public, etc. No eating of pork.
moses1084ever
AG
Blaspheming Islam/Mohammad (including doing anything inappropriate with a Quran), Pro-Israel commentary or symbols, openly promoting other religions, and Pride symbols would be the most obvious ones.

Eating, drinking, or smoking in front of fasting muslims isn't "offensive" imo, more viewed as insensitive. Depends on the person. Presuming it's like Malaysia, most restaurants shut down during the day during Ramadan (excluding Chinese restaurants).

If you're in a food court/hawker center with that has a mix of halal and non-halal stalls, there's two different sets of cups, plates, cutlery, etc. Putting non-halal plates, cutlery, cups, etc. into the halal area might get you some looks.
LCE
AG
Thanks for the info
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.