Job Network
Sponsored by

Is there any worthwhile advantage to Linkedin Premium?

6,542 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Cromagnum
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
infinity ag said:

zooguy96 said:

infinity ag said:

BenTheGoodAg said:

infinity ag said:

I am also an "experienced" professional with 25 years in the software industry. That makes you seem like a dinosaur in the tech space unless you are a C-level person. At least VP and above. Anything below, the sweet spot is about 15 years. Not too old, not too young. So I reviewed my resume and threw out everything over 13 years. I removed the dates of my 3 degrees both in my resume and Linkedin. So anyone just casually looking at me will think I am in the industry for 13-15 years. Oh, the things we need to do get a job in this fake world.

This is crazy. Are you still doing software development?

No, I stopped doing software development about 15 years ago. Doing Product Management since. So now my concise resume looks purely Product and engineering experience has gotten phased out. But I mention it in interviews.

I'm seeing an uptick in calls. Not sure if it is because of Linkedin Premium or just because it is February.

Because it's February. I've had two calls this week. We'll see if the one today pans out. The one yesterday - probably not.

I got 2 new calls today, one for a level up and local, and other in the Bay which I had applied to 20 minutes earlier! At this point I am in the running for 7 positions, and not all of those are good or that I think I can realistically get but not rejected yet. My optimism is increasing, I think I should be able to snag something in about 6 weeks if the trend continues.

Yeah, there are a lot of jobs that I am well qualified for right now that I've applied for that are really cool positions (in ag extension, which is very similar to my background). Who wouldn't want to be a hunting, fishing, and target shooting education coordinator!
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
infinity ag
One of the most annoying situations is to be ghosted.
I spoke to the recruiter of a famous large company that everyone has heard about. on 1/25. She was very nice and friendly and said she would send my resume to the hiring manager. I didn't hear back in 3 days so emailed. Nothing. Then another email in 2 days, and I got back a reply saying she wasn't able to show them my resume yet. It's been 2 weeks today and no next steps yet. Am I still being considered? If not, just pull the plug and be done with it.
Another small company from CA. I interviewed with the recruiter, and he said he will let me know by "the end of the week". Its middle of the week after that and nothing. I emailed them yesterday and still nothing.
I had a call with the hiring manager of a CA company 2 days ago. He seemed to like me and said he would have me talk to a few others in the team. Nothing yet, but then it's just been 2 days so I don't know if they are ghosting me.
zooguy96
infinity ag said:

I spoke to the recruiter of a famous large company that everyone has heard about. on 1/25. She was very nice and friendly and said she would send my resume to the hiring manager. I didn't hear back in 3 days so emailed. Nothing. Then another email in 2 days, and I got back a reply saying she wasn't able to show them my resume yet. It's been 2 weeks today and no next steps yet. Am I still being considered? If not, just pull the plug and be done with it.
Another small company from CA. I interviewed with the recruiter, and he said he will let me know by "the end of the week". Its middle of the week after that and nothing. I emailed them yesterday and still nothing.
I had a call with the hiring manager of a CA company 2 days ago. He seemed to like me and said he would have me talk to a few others in the team. Nothing yet, but then it's just been 2 days so I don't know if they are ghosting me.

Sorry you were ghosted. That sucks. It's disappointing when you never hear anything back.
zooguy96
zooguy96
12thMan9
AG
zooguy96 said:

infinity ag said:

Sorry you were ghosted. That sucks. It's disappointing when you never hear anything back.
Even worse when it's Aggies who don't respond.
Ronnie '88
zooguy96
12thMan9 said:

zooguy96 said:

infinity ag said:

Yeah, pretty much.

Thankfully, I had a recruiter follow up on a position I had asked another recruiter about, so now I have an interview. I had spoken with a friend who is an area manager about a position - not exactly what I'd be looking for, but better than what I have now... so hopefully, something works out soon.
infinity ag
zooguy96 said:

infinity ag said:

Update.

The famous large company lady still has not gotten back to me. I have marked her off as "Abandoned" in my spreadsheet and will not call them. Let them call me if they are interested. Highly disappointing to be treated this way by a company that is an American icon.

Small company from CA (1). End of the week turned to the next week. I finally emailed the recruiter and heard nothing for 2 days. Then I got a rejection email.

Small company from CA (2). I got tired and emailed the hiring manager directly last week. Within 15 mins, I got an email for the next round of interview with other team members. I did 2 hours of interviews with them this morning. Went well, I don't know if they are more but I am optimistic about this. Established a good rapport with the hiring manager last week. Remote job too - SF Bay based. Let's see if this turns into an offer.

zooguy96
Cool, I hope you get something soon. I know it is nerve-racking. I have instituted a couple of new procedures in my classroom that has seemed to make my classroom run more smoothly. But, I am still not long to continue to teach forever.

The job I really want is a hunting, fishing, and target shooting coordinator. There is one local and then there is one in Nashville for Tennessee wildlife.

Disco Stu
AG
The ghosting seems to be commonplace in the market currently.
I Am A Critic
12thMan9 said:

zooguy96 said:

infinity ag said:

Your first mistake is putting Aggies on a pedestal.
Username checks out.
infinity ag
Disco Stu said:

The ghosting seems to be commonplace in the market currently.

I don't see why people should ghost. It doesn't take much to not do it.
The world is very impersonal these days and everyone has adjusted. No one expects a phonecall. If a company does not want you, then people are okay with it. All it takes is a stinking automated email to say you are out of the race. People can move on.

Instead recruiters act very busy and pretend that they don't have the time to close out a candidate. Just *click* and the system will send a rejection email.
infinity ag
A development which folks here may find useful to know.

I used my free 1 month Premium subscription late Jan and Feb. I started getting a ton of calls. Some good ones too. The free promo ended about a week ago and I did not renew. The calls stopped and I have not had a new company call me in about 10 days. Things slowed down dramatically.

Is there a correlation? I don't know but I did not want to chance it. I waited a few days and then they give you a 50% off deal so you pay $20 a month. I just signed up. Let's see things look up again. This deal is for 2 months. If you are signing up after the free month, the 50% deal opens a few days after you cancel, not right away.

Just FYI.
infinity ag
I've been on the paid version for about a month and the calls coming in have been meager. So my flood of calls was because it was February, not because I had Premium.

I might get FOMO and still keep it until I find something but it is still useless in my view.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
I finally decided to sign up for the free trial.
Cromagnum
AG
The flood of calls is because everyone got their 2023 performance awards in February / March and then quit their jobs for something else. So now everyone is looking.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.