Job Network
Sponsored by

Post-interview Questions (Long)

2,834 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by 96AgGrad
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy, I am in the middle of hopefully landing a new job and would appreciate advice.

A little background...
This is an IT position with the U of Missouri. I've lived in Columbia since late 2013. I have about 25 years of experience in IT.

I had a Zoom interview for this position on May 11. It went well, and I sent a thank you to the hiring manager shortly after it. I didn't have contact information for the other two people who were on that meeting (why I emailed only the h.m.). On May 19, I heard back from the h.m. that he was going to want me to interview in-person but that, because of pending vacations, it would be June before that could happen.

I had my in-person interview on June 8. It also went well. It was the same people I'd had my Zoom interview with plus one more. Afterwards, they took me to lunch, and during that lunch, I learned that the guy who hadn't been on the Zoom interview was paying for the lunch out of his own pocket, because he wanted to make sure that he'd be able to work with me "if we were to hire you."

The lunch went *very* well (and least from my point of view). The guy who wanted to get to know me turned out to be a big baseball fan, and so am I. Then it turned out that we were are both big college baseball fans (he'd gone to Vanderbilt)... pretty cool as that's a fairly unusual interest of mine. At the end of the lunch, the hiring manager told me that I could be hearing from him "as soon as early next week." I sent another thank you to the h.m. when I got home.

So here we are at Wednesday, and I've not heard anything. I'm not going to email the guy today, but at what point do I consider it? What would I say in that email?

I'm quite anxious about this as:
1) This job looks to be an outstanding fit for my interests and skillset
2) I HATE my current job (something I did not share with the Mizzou folks).

Thank you,
fletch01
AG
I generally err on the side of not appearing over eager to accept positions. I think this can help when it comes time to negotiate the total compensation package.

As long as you sent "thank you" e-mails (which you confirmed), and expressed your interest in the position, then I think you just need to sit back and be patient. All signs point to you being at the top of their list.
deadelephant98
AG
Fletch nailed it.

I think you're good. But if you're not - keep applying.

But seriously, how do you type that and not think you have it. Anything can happen, but that sounds really positive. I agree with fletch but if you don't hear in a week i think it would be okay to check in.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Glad to hear that it went well.

I wouldn't sweat it. Missou is a state school and subject to all the hiring/firing bureaucracy of a government agency. Things can also move really slow during the summer time on any college campus as well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if your start date coincided with a budgetary calendar that aligns with the school year. Purely speculating, but their hiring date might be sometime in August even if they would love to have you early to get you trained up before 15,000 new students and their laptops come on campus. So their might be someone in an admin role who is slow playing this because they see a long runway.

Best of luck! Usually when universities have open positions that overlap with competitive private industry they get ecstatic when its someone applies who is competent and enjoyable to work with.
dabo man
AG
Thank you to all of you for the kind words. I got a call from Mizzou HR today that "you were not selected at this time as they were looking for someone with more experience supporting faculty research."

I'm floored. I spent 1996-2013 working as at IT staff member at A&M supporting faculty research, and I dare say that A&M is far more successful on the whole, at research, than Mizzou.

I've sent the hiring manager a polite email expressing my disappointment, my confusion at the explanation provided me, and asking what I can do to become a better candidate.

Holy Sh** this hurts. I've been working 30+ years, and I've never had a job that I hated to the degree I hate the one I have now. I'm also the sole source of income for my 13 year old son (I'm a single dad), so it isn't like I can just walk away.
aggie_wes
AG
Don't take this the wrong way, but.... how do I ask this ... Are you a non-minority? Mizzou went pretty woke in the past few years. Not trying to bring politics into this, but that may explain why you seem like a well-qualified candidate but didn't get hired. Complete speculation but it's not always your fault if you didn't get the job.
Madagascar
AG
Wow what a lame excuse. If you were that qualified and the interview went well then the reason for rejection had to be one of the following:

1-someone actually had more experience than you (sounds unlikely!)
2-someone used political capital to get a relative or friend the job
3-they didn't really want to pay for the new position and were just milking you for ideas. Companies do this where they post a fake position to get free consulting from candidates.

In situations 2 and 3 they were probably going to be terrible employers so you should consider it a blessing they spared you their incompetence. You will find a place that deserves you! Keep the faith!
dabo man
AG
Yes, I am a 50 year-old, straight white male who made pretty damned good money working at A&M. I'm not "desirable" in terms of people being pressured to represent any particular group, and my salary history is probably not attractive either.

This whole situation is bizarre. One of the guys (Matt) who was at both interviews happened to have interviewed me with another department on that campus in late 2017. Before the start of last week's in-person interview, we were alone, and Matt told me that he'd selected me for that other job but "I was overruled by a primmadona faculty member."

In the case of that 2017 job, when I emailed the hiring manager to ask him how I could improve as a candidate, he had called me back (I liked that). He told me that after my interview, he'd bumped into one of their former employees who had moved on to another department. He was unhappy with the new department and already knew all of the ropes at the department I'd wanted to join, and they'd hired him. Made me feel pretty damned unlucky at the time, and I now know it was a bullsh** story.

At lunch Wednesday, they asked me what department it was that Matt had interviewed me for back in 2017 (Matt was unable to join us for lunch). I gave them the department name, and one of them chimed in "Oh yeah, they hired that young... Oh well, she didn't work out."

This position I didn't get this time was for L3 Linux support on campus. I can't imagine that they found a young woman this time, but who knows...

Weird thing is, at that lunch Matt didn't go to, the hiring manager told me that "Matt is probably the foremost Linux expert on this campus," and Matt had already told me that he'd wanted to hire me back in 2017.

My head is spinning thinking about this (and baseball getting whipped didn't help).
aggiechick
No advice but just wanted to say I'm sorry. That sucks. Hopefully one of those guys will reach out and tell you what really went down.
ATM9000
AG
Long stalling after initial interview and just running it back with one more person in the panel. You were the backup plan for somebody they really really wanted to hire but had to wait on/was unsure of.

Sucks but it happens.
texasaggie2015
AG
Sorry man. That sucks. Keep your head down...there's something better out there.
dabo man
AG
Well, the job has been reposted with additional requirements and a $20k bump in the high end of the salary range. I guess they really weren't happy with my experience. As Columbia, Missouri has no Linux Users Group (or apparent Linux community), I wish them the best of luck in finding what they want.

I was the sole source of tech support (outside of my student workers) for various departments around campus in my time at A&M. I'm very much a jack of all trades in the IT world. The buck stopped with me, so I learned to do a lot of things. Linux is my passion, but I actually have more experience supporting Windows.

The requirement they added is outside of the realm of my experience. This is a job specifically supporting researchers on campus. At A&M, I also supported researchers, but not exclusively. I supported faculty who did no research, staff, and grad students as well.

Any experience with instrumentation, interfacing, or special technologies like DICOM, HL7, XML, API's, data transformation is a plus.

It's funny how much harder it is for me to land the right job at 50 than it was at 30 or 35, and I'm much more skilled now than I was then.
tamc91
AG
Sorry to hear that, but as others have said academia is often more focused on diversity and some esoteric requirements than business that need to run a profitable operation.

I would suggest starting to watch for jobs in the Engineering and Architecture consulting fields. The federal funding for infrastructure is starting to drive a lot of growth. Solid IT people will be needed to support their design, data management, and procurement of equipment. If you have this experience you'll probably be able to get a nice salary and competitive benefits.
swimmerbabe11
I'm so sorry to hear this. I had been rooting for you and praying. I checked in hoping to hear good news.
dabo man
AG
That's very kind of you.

Thank you!
swimmerbabe11
I'm in a similar boat in a lot of ways, so I get it. the right thing will come along, keep your head up
wts2014
AG
Dabo man…just went through a very similar deal, CEO I'd kept up with invited me to apply to a job at his company, process went very smoothly, 3 or 4 different conversations. All very positive feedback, 0 indication of anything but me having the job.

Got to the end of the process including references on a Thursday, was told I'd hear an answer the following Monday. Got real nervous after not hearing anything on Wednesday afternoon then followed up Thursday. Got a "leaders were out, still trying to get sign offs, but we'll be ready to move forward Monday morning, let's set up a call"

The call Monday was "you weren't selected, you were edged out, there were a couple small things that were the difference." Was left nearly speechless. Managed to professionally handle the rest of the call, but was in total shock for 2 or 3 days.

So I guess moral of the story is misery loves company
dabo man
AG
That's absolutely awful. I hope that CEO has reached out to you.

My first "real" job out of college was in the private sector. This was 1995-96, and it was a horrible workplace. Company was full of workaholics with no scruples. Left an bad taste in my mouth and was why I went to work for the public section (i.e. TAMU) later in '96 and stayed 17 years.
Ronnie
AG
If your #1 goal is to get an on campus job at Mizzou, you need to get a foot in the door somehow. Contract position in IT? Make some contacts with some Aggies at Mizzou or Columbia area? Sounds like they liked you but the more and more I see it, the more I am convinced there are "it's who you know not what you know" for the good jobs. Somewhere in my mid to late 30s to now the higher up jobs are as much about networking and politics as they are "best" candidate. And I say that as someone that just got a new position where I exploited those relationships and politic'd my way into it.
96AgGrad
AG
I sympathize. I'm looking for a new job as well and have pretty much the same story. I'm 48, with great experience that seems tailor made for certain job openings. Compared to 10 years ago, I'm not getting nearly the number of first interviews.

When I do, the interviews go well, and their language leads me to believe that they will proceed to next step, only to get a "we found another candidate" or get no feedback at all without prying it out of them. Then your mind starts spinning worrying about age, race, resumes, and every other red flag that could have sunk you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.