Job Network
Sponsored by

LinkedIn feed

6,277 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by JamesPShelley
bmks270
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can curate your feed and unfollow people or businesses you don't want to see. I think following businesses is useful, depends on the business, but a lot will post product development milestones, so you can get a sense of how they are progressing. Some businesses just use it to virtue signal though and don't give any meaningful insights.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Fear InoculAg said:

I ditched Linkedin about 2 years ago when it became apparent it was turning into a wacko leftist political echo chamber and way too much like Facebook, which I had already ditched in 2011. It is truly a waste of effort. LinkedIn is used for its original intended purpose less than 1% of the time. Figure out another way to maintain professional connections.
It's been great during the Trump years and during the Plandemic to find out which of my colleagues can keep it together in the office but will become totally unhinged online.

One dude I work with is pretty good at his job but his LinkedIn used to be all about Trump, then BLM, then the Vax, now it's 24/7 Ukraine.

Definitely helps me know who I'm really dealing with.
HollywoodBQ
AG
TX04Aggie said:

I am currently in job market. Commercial oil and gas guy here.. I have no social media except kept LinkedIn active for job search stuff. And agree, it is total garbage on the feed. I cant wait to get a job again so I can just delete the thing.
The thing a lot of people don't realize is, when you have a job is exactly when you should be networking.

Also, these day, as a hiring manager, I look at a resume and I hit their LinkedIn.

Shockingly, sometimes those items don't match up.
So, it's easy to see who runs a tight ship and who is really sloppy.
10thYrSr
HollywoodBQ said:

TX04Aggie said:

I am currently in job market. Commercial oil and gas guy here.. I have no social media except kept LinkedIn active for job search stuff. And agree, it is total garbage on the feed. I cant wait to get a job again so I can just delete the thing.
The thing a lot of people don't realize is, when you have a job is exactly when you should be networking.

Also, these day, as a hiring manager, I look at a resume and I hit their LinkedIn.

You hit my LinkedIn, you are gonna see a guy who has ****load of connections and almost no comments. A perfect employee. All of my connections are people I have actually shook hands with. I can tell you about every connection and where I met them and how they apply to my career.

I realize this is not the norm, but I remember back in the day when LinkedIn was based on physically or professionally encountering people.

It used to be that you didn't accept links unless you knew who the hell someone was and had met them.

Not the case now.
flashplayer
AG
ptothemo said:

The new job announcements just kill me. Exaggerated cynicism here, but I sent this to a friend and former coworker after seeing a whole string of them one day.

"After X years of doing stuff that is mostly just work that no one cares about for this one company, I've made the really hard decision to start doing stuff that mostly no one cares about for this other company. It was the hardest decision I've made, but I'm excited about the next adventure into another same ole stuff corporate environment. I will miss the people the most. Particularly the 95% of people who I will find that the relationship was only because we did some stuff for a while at the same employer and who I won't ever talk to again after all the replies to this announcement."

Saving this so I can post the next time I leave a job.
Captain Winky
That is pretty spot on, but it should also include something to the effect of, "As I reflect back on my time spent blah, blah, blah".
swimmerbabe11
It is so much worse now.
AgLA06
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

TX04Aggie said:

Are you saying you expect a job seekers resume to be an exact match to their LinkedIn profile instead of adjusting the resume to the job posting?

Now if you are talking about titles and employers being different, okay. Otherwise, I'm confused. My LinkedIn is an overview of my experience. My resume is different to show how I fit the job description better.
Petrino1
AgLA06 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

TX04Aggie said:

Are you saying you expect a job seekers resume to be an exact match to their LinkedIn profile instead of adjusting the resume to the job posting?

Now if you are talking about titles and employers being different, okay. Otherwise, I'm confused. My LinkedIn is an overview of my experience. My resume is different to show how I fit the job description better.
I may get flamed for this, but If you have to tweak your resume to fit the job description for every single role you apply to, youre doing it wrong, and probably not a fit for the job. You are either a fit for a job or not, no amount of tweaking your resume is going to change that.
Eliminatus
AG
ea1060 said:

AgLA06 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

TX04Aggie said:

I may get flamed for this, but If you have to tweak your resume to fit the job description for every single role you apply to, youre doing it wrong, and probably not a fit for the job. You are either a fit for a job or not, no amount of tweaking your resume is going to change that.

Depends. I have a large swath of random job skills and certs with specific experiences that won't apply everywhere.

For example I have a UXO resume that details my various endorsements, safety records, explanations of the types of munitions I have worked with and where, etc. Which means diddly for my engineering resume which highlights engineering stuff. And have a Safety resume as well. My EMT and HAZMAT and CPR instructor certs go there. And so on and so forth.

You want keywords in your resume to hit your field when being searched. Simple as that.

At least that is my take. Could be wrong as what is hot or not for resumes seems to change every five years or so.
Petrino1
Searched where? If you apply to a role then a recruiter isn't doing a search for your resume on the applicant tracking system. A recruiter will search for keywords on LinkedIn.
JamesPShelley
ea1060 said:

AgLA06 said:

HollywoodBQ said:

TX04Aggie said:

First, a LinkedIn Profile (LP) shouldn't regurgitate information from the resume. LinkedIn may serve as a precurser to the resume... perhaps inspiring the reader to look further... maybe request to view a candidate's resume. Resume? LinkedIn? Two different animals.

Yes... a resume must be tweaked for every new opportunity. If you believe that a general, one-size-fits-all, resume is the route to take... you go right ahead. It may only be a few words... it might be entire passages... but when you present a resume to a recipient you better be certain the document qualifies you for the opportunity.

A properly prepared resume doesn't mean you're a fit for a job. The purpose of the resume is to qualify you for an opportunity. P E R I O D. It is meant to inspire a connection. P E R I O D. You get the interview... that's when the recipient is going to determine if you're "fit" for the job.

Carry on. Good morning.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.