Job Network
Sponsored by

Anybody's Job Going Back to the Office Fulltime After Being 100% Remote for 2 Yrs?

8,657 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by aTm2004
AtlAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't know if I would consider being remote work/life balance, prior to Covid, a remote day was considered a privilege where I work. It was something you earned. Now it's a right for graduates?

I've been of the mindset that an extended lunch for everyone to attend or other non work related gathering is better at this point than having people all come into the office at the same time. We've had a few days where my group has had an in office day and it's hard to get everyone there.

Compound that with, we've also started hiring remote workers that don't live in the same state and only in the last year stopped requiring people to move.

$30,000 Millionaire
AG
The world changes, yo.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
CEO at my place wants everyone to be full time in the office for "culture" but he is the only one that is so adamant. It's an interesting dynamic for sure. Tone deaf might be a way to describe it. Or yearning for a world that no longer exists.

Draconian measures are showing up like running badge reports and in a way, there is less flexibility than there was before the pandemic.

I'm losing people in my organization. Not much I can do other than say come late and leave early. Just get your swipe in.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
500,000ags
AG
The weird thing is that working has this kind of network effect. I was pretty skeptical about WFH/remote working, but it worked because everyone is doing it. There isn't 5 people in-person and 5 people remote for a meeting, all 10 are remote. I think companies will have a new set of long-term challenges if they get into an odd middle ground.
htxag09
AG
As a counter to the recent posts, face to face will always be different and, in a lot of cases, more effective than remote. You can call your management that wants to be back on the office draconian and out of touch. That's fine. But the fact is people are meant to interact in person.

My wife has been a remote worker since long before Covid. There's a reason when I'd get home from work she'd chat my ear off even though she's in teams meetings all day.

Again, not saying back in office full time is the right answer. My company is doing a hybrid approach and it's what's I personally prefer. Just saying that we can't take the last two years when everyone was adjusting and adapting in every aspect of their lives and say, see, work from remote is the new normal.
jtraggie99
AG
htxag09 said:

There's a reason when I'd get home from work she'd chat my ear off even though she's in teams meetings all day. .

Let me just say that I agree humans most definitely need face to face social interaction. It's good for your mental health, no doubt. But everyone is different, some need a lot, some don't.

Be that as it may, though, I've never seen work as my primary avenue to achieving that. I've always just seen work as work and my interactions at work are simply to achieve whatever is needed in the short and long term, not to try and meet my daily allotment of social interactions. I have plenty of other avenues for that.

But I do understand that for some, they crave and need a large amount of social interaction and being in an office around other people can help achieve that. But then, that's not really about work anymore.
htxag09
AG
The craving and needing it is just one aspect of what I'm referring to. I mentioned that simply because it's a side effect of the fact that people are meant to interact face to face. Because of that, a lot of things are done more efficiently face to face: negotiations, training, collaboration, mentoring, etc.

Yes, these aren't every day things. Yes, technology has greatly improved the effectiveness of remote. But it's just not quite the same for some of these tasks. Then, honestly how many meetings have you been in when everyone actually had their cameras in so you can read body language, etc.?

This is why I think hybrid is the best approach for most people. Every person, roll, company are different. For some, 100% remote is truly as effective. I think the amount of people this applies to is exaggerated, though. And for some, 100% in person is more effective.

The other and smaller reason I brought up the craving of social interactions is because this is a new experiment if we're being truthful. Yes, some have always worked remote. But not to this extent. We really don't know the long term consequences of large segments of our population working remote. And, I agree, work isn't supposed to be an avenue for social interaction. But, it is. You spend 8+ hours a day, 5 days a week there. It's where a lot of people get their social interaction.
AggieBarstool
Enviroag02 said:

My company is forcing everyone back to the office 5 days a week after we've been fully remote for over 2 years. I haven't talked to a single person who is in favor of returning to the office. Their reasoning is "culture". Ok...sitting in front of a computer in a cubicle while using Microsoft Teams (because Teams is still the most efficient method for contacting other groups) is good for the culture.
By culture, they mean old fogies who don't know how to manage a remote workforce with their traditional thumb-pressed-on-the-employee approach, right?
AggieBarstool
Quote:

But the fact is people are meant to interact in person.

My wife has been a remote worker since long before Covid. There's a reason when I'd get home from work she'd chat my ear off even though she's in teams meetings all day.
Great. That's what professional meet-ups, happy hour, trips to the gym, workout buddies, etc., are for.

I don't need/want to socialize with my teammates.
Stymied
AG
You sound like a delight to work with...
Ulrich
I'm at a small company where people are mostly trusted to get their work done without a ton of micromanagement. When we went to WFH, several employees pretty much stopped working completely. Even though they weren't being closely managed in the office, being in a work environment was very helpful for them to be self-disciplined. That's part of why we went back to the office.
Petrino1
AggieBarstool said:

Quote:

But the fact is people are meant to interact in person.

Great. That's what professional meet-ups, happy hour, trips to the gym, workout buddies, etc., are for.

I don't need/want to socialize with my teammates.
Im with you. Im the type that likes to work, do my job, then logoff. I dont really care about the small talk chit-chat with coworkers.
BQ2001
AG
I'm in IT and a 180 from what you are going through.

We went from 1 day WFH to 2 to 3 over 3 years at my company, then Covid hit and went full time remote. This Jan we went back in the office 1 day a week and just this week they rescinded that one day and we can be full remote as long as our job doesn't need our physical presence. We can also request to be out of state for a month through our managers.
Loving this change from our management. I may spend the Christmas school break in TX this coming year.
SJEAg
AG
My pretty large company has always taken the stance of no comment. Was borderline strange given our HR Dept is typical chatty about everything else. Even during peak Covid, not one official word regarding WFH. I come in most every day by choice, and basically witnessed the trend of 90% in office, down to about 10%, and it's now probably 75%. Managers basically set the rules for their team...mine says try to keep it to 2 days a week, but doesn't strictly enforce it. Some depts like Acct and HR are pretty full staff in-office, guessing their Dept VPs insist on it.
Enviroag02
AG
I've already heard of multiple groups losing people this past week as result of the policy. Looks like HR and Finance are experiencing some retention issues. I expect it to get worse.
SquanchyAg
Enviroag02 said:

I've already heard of multiple groups losing people this past week as result of the policy. Looks like HR and Finance are experiencing some retention issues. I expect it to get worse.
I didn't even realize companies were still working remote because of Covid. We've been back in the office full-time since January 2021.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how companies handle full-time office work going forward. the workforce has definitely gotten a taste of what it is like to never have to go to the office and I'm sure lots of people are going to be changing jobs trying to find something that they can do remote.

For technical jobs, the remote thing seems to make sense. For consulting jobs where teams are important, it seems a little trickier - especially with regards to mentoring, communication, etc.

In an ideal world, almost everyone would work remote, so there are less people on the road and less traffic when I'm heading into the office each morning.
Enviroag02
AG
Did your company experience elevated turnover when y'all went back to the office full time in Jan 21?
SquanchyAg
Enviroag02 said:

Did your company experience elevated turnover when y'all went back to the office full time in Jan 21?

Not any more than normal. It's consulting so always turnover. A few people didn't come back though.
Dill-Ag13
AG
I work for one of the top 3 O&G services company. We have been fully in the office since I joined in October. In the past 2 months we have lost 10% of the engineering team to hybrid roles and mgmt has had to talk another 10% out of leaving for similar reasons.

Magically we get to WFH on Fridays now and Mondays will be implemented soon as well. We will see if it stops the bleeding but it can't hurt.
AgLA06
AG
Ulrich said:

I'm at a small company where people are mostly trusted to get their work done without a ton of micromanagement. When we went to WFH, several employees pretty much stopped working completely. Even though they weren't being closely managed in the office, being in a work environment was very helpful for them to be self-disciplined. That's part of why we went back to the office.
I've never understood the mindset of wanting to keep people who aren't productive unless someone else has to be unproductive to ensure they are productive. Just seems like horrible leadership.

Find good people and stop trying to manage the company based on the worst employee.
The Dog Lord
AG
htxag09 said:

As a counter to the recent posts, face to face will always be different and, in a lot of cases, more effective than remote. You can call your management that wants to be back on the office draconian and out of touch. That's fine. But the fact is people are meant to interact in person.

Again, not saying back in office full time is the right answer. My company is doing a hybrid approach and it's what's I personally prefer. Just saying that we can't take the last two years when everyone was adjusting and adapting in every aspect of their lives and say, see, work from remote is the new normal.

I just started going back a few days a week. People definitely get a lot of social interaction at the office which can help with relationships, but damn it's difficult to get things done with constant interruptions and distractions. Shutting my door helps some, but people are still dropping by at times. Get way more done at home.
Ulrich
AgLA06 said:

Ulrich said:

I've never understood the mindset of wanting to keep people who aren't productive unless someone else has to be unproductive to ensure they are productive. Just seems like horrible leadership.

Find good people and stop trying to manage the company based on the worst employee.

Your tone says that you're disagreeing with me and calling my company out, but I'm not sure it's a good take.

We had people who were productive in some circumstances and not others. We put them in a position to be productive without micromanagement, so everybody won. Nobody got fired, we got our productive people back, and we didn't have to hire middle managers we couldn't afford or roll the dice hoping the next hire was able to work from home.

I don't see how that is terrible leadership. If anything, discarding everyone who doesn't work the same way you want to work sounds like a pretty tough stance to take.
medwriter
htxag09 said:

Y'all are correct that there are people who don't do squat, whether in the office or at home. But the difference is when they're in the office, they're a little more accountable. You can walk over to them and get them to do something for you if needed. I'm in supply chain/category management so thinking along of the lines of a buyer when I need a PO for an expedited item.

Also, my main point was around the people who need supervision because they're just lazy. My brother fits into this category. He is a good and hard worker when in the office. But he will be the first to admit that he's happy they're back in the office full time and he's surprised he didn't get fired. He just found it too easy to plop his laptop on the couch, turn on the tv, and do nothing unless he absolutely had to. The temptation of being able to do that was too much for him. He needs more accountability.

Again, I think a hybrid approach is the way to go. Just pointing out how critical needing the right team is to go that route. Since COVID, I'm with my third company (laid off from the first, second wasn't a good fit so wasn't there very long). This is the only company of the three where I haven't noticed a significant lag to get things done when people are working remote.
Good post. Many are not disciplined enough to work from home. I usually end up working harder from home, but many are only about 30 percent efficient and slough off when working remote.
AgLA06
AG
Ulrich said:

AgLA06 said:

Ulrich said:

Your tone says that you're disagreeing with me and calling my company out, but I'm not sure it's a good take.

We had people who were productive in some circumstances and not others. We put them in a position to be productive without micromanagement, so everybody won. Nobody got fired, we got our productive people back, and we didn't have to hire middle managers we couldn't afford or roll the dice hoping the next hire was able to work from home.

I don't see how that is terrible leadership. If anything, discarding everyone who doesn't work the same way you want to work sounds like a pretty tough stance to take.
You're literally saying that in order for them to be productive, you had to have other people spend time being unproductive (managing them) to ensure it and spend more money on office space and resources than just hiring competent staff. Think that through. It's beyond inefficient. Some of your good people who do their job regardless are going to see it as being punished because you guys can't staff appropriately. So in essence your company is being defined by your worst performers.

Good, productive people are worth their weight in gold. Unproductive or morale killing individuals are detrimental multiples of their weight. To enact policies that the rest of the office may not like to micro manage dead weight is the quickest way to kill morale. I'm facing this right now.

I work with someone who is closer to collecting an allowance than earning a salary. Their responsibilities have been managed (reduced) to almost zero, they are rarely productive, and everyone else (my team specifically) has had to pick up the slack. No one else can stand them, everyone else is resentful, and ultimately just as much would be accomplished, with more money to go around if they were let go. And yet the owner still thinks there's hope and he can manage them (he can't).

It's another form of the scenario you just described.
Petrino1
The Dog Lord said:

htxag09 said:

I just started going back a few days a week. People definitely get a lot of social interaction at the office which can help with relationships, but damn it's difficult to get things done with constant interruptions and distractions. Shutting my door helps some, but people are still dropping by at times. Get way more done at home.
This is what I hated about working in the office. I would be in the middle of working on a time sensitive project, and coworkers would come up to me and want to chat about little Timmys Tee-ball game, or their fantasy football team. This was everyday. Even if I wore headphones or worked in an office with my door closed, that did not stop the office chit chatters from coming over to me and bugging me lol.

Im more productive from home because distractions are limited.
AgLA06
AG
ea1060 said:

The Dog Lord said:

htxag09 said:

This is what I hated about working in the office. I would be in the middle of working on a time sensitive project, and coworkers would come up to me and want to chat about little Timmys Tee-ball game, or their fantasy football team. This was everyday. Even if I wore headphones or worked in an office with my door closed, that did not stop the office chit chatters from coming over to me and bugging me lol.

It's not just casual conversation. When you're in the office any legitimate issue is always critical. Because it's important to them, people seek out other people to help. That sounds collaborative and great, but it kills everyone else's efficiency (of other important work).

What I've seen is when people are remote, they have to actually stop and think who is necessary for what instead of crying wolf running through the office.
The Dog Lord
AG
AgLA06 said:

ea1060 said:

The Dog Lord said:

htxag09 said:

It's not just casual conversation. When you're in the office any legitimate issue is always critical. Because it's important to them, people seek out other people to help. That sounds collaborative and great, but it kills everyone else's efficiency (of other important work).

What I've seen is when people are remote, they have to actually stop and think who is necessary for what instead of crying wolf running through the office.

Yep. I'm getting some coming by socially since I was away for longer than everyone else, but a majority of conversations are work-related. I get emails/Teams messages all the time, but the in-person questions have been overwhelming so far.
jtp01
AG
I've worked from home for almost 10 years now. My nearest coworker is about 10 hours away.

We get together a few times a year and it's always great to see everyone, we have a group text that we started earlier in the year for "fun". That's where the water cooler stuff goes. Where we brag on our kids, and keep the group informed on the personal stuff in our lives that we want to share.

I have a unique scenario here. My wife and I both work from home. So we "go to work" in an old farmhouse on the property that we are using as office space and can leave work there to make the 1/2 mile drive to our home we just finished building.
Hoyt Ag
AG
I work from home for an energy billing company as a manager of my group. We have probably 50-75% of th company remote across 48 states. The work is monotonous and repetitive, but we do have to collaborate to solve issues. As far as I know, no mention of going to an office. We have a few people that go to the office, but we have so many people(essential and would be detrimental to lose) across the US. I think our owner is a big supporter of WFH and he seems to keep hiring in all time zones.
swimmerbabe11
ea1060 said:

The Dog Lord said:

htxag09 said:

I think this is completely subjective to a person's home, a person's office, and the type of environment that energizes them for work.
Ulrich
AgLA06 said:

Ulrich said:

AgLA06 said:

Ulrich said:

You're literally saying that in order for them to be productive, you had to have other people spend time being unproductive (managing them) to ensure it and spend more money on office space and resources than just hiring competent staff. Think that through. It's beyond inefficient. Some of your good people who do their job regardless are going to see it as being punished because you guys can't staff appropriately. So in essence your company is being defined by your worst performers.

Good, productive people are worth their weight in gold. Unproductive or morale killing individuals are detrimental multiples of their weight. To enact policies that the rest of the office may not like to micro manage dead weight is the quickest way to kill morale. I'm facing this right now.

I work with someone who is closer to collecting an allowance than earning a salary. Their responsibilities have been managed (reduced) to almost zero, they are rarely productive, and everyone else (my team specifically) has had to pick up the slack. No one else can stand them, everyone else is resentful, and ultimately just as much would be accomplished, with more money to go around if they were let go. And yet the owner still thinks there's hope and he can manage them (he can't).

It's another form of the scenario you just described.

I am not saying that. In fact, I've specifically said that we do NOT micromanage them and that being in the office doesn't mean they are more closely managed than when they were at home.

You should comment on what I said instead of the position you want to argue against.

We have a fair amount of flexibility for employees who prove they can use it responsibly; in fact, the "problem" employees (as you so cavalierly define them), bosses are 75% and 90% remote. We've found that having a default position of in-office work improves overall productivity without losing corporate knowledge or significantly reducing morale.

The mindset that all of corporate America should do things one way because it's more convenient for some particularly outspoken people, and to simply discard everyone who doesn't fit into their new world, is rigid and shortsighted. Different people work differently.
Mogilla
Totally agree with this. When I was working remotely through the beginning of the pandemic I had 3 kids under the age of 7, including a newborn, all at home. On top of that, my home office got turned into a nursery, so I was relegated to the dining room table while working on my 13" laptop screen. Contrast that with having a private office that included multiple monitors and the ability to shut my door to prevent people from stopping by to chat and it is pretty easy to see where I felt more productive. Needless to say, I volunteered to be one of the first people back in the office when it started opening back up.
BTHOB-98
htxag09 said:

My company has gone to a hybrid schedule. Personally, I think it's smart for a couple reasons: retaining & recruiting talent & can work towards a smaller footprint and save money in real estate, utilities, etc.

That being said, if you don't like it, look elsewhere. You either dislike going into the office enough to move on or you don't. Should be opportunities out there in this market.

As I said, I think remote or hybrid solutions are smart. But that depends on having the right people. In my previous job, I had hell getting ahold of some people, lots of excuses for things being late, etc. when working from home. Everyone loves to claim that productivity is up, you can do more in shorter time, etc., etc.. But the simple fact is a decent chunk of people don't do **** when they are working remote.

To this point. I know someone who works from home for two different companies and doesn't do crap and is getting two paychecks.
Post removed:
by user
Inca
AG
Premium said:

Been back since November of '20, everyone is still alive.

We've been back since end of July 2020. All also still alive. Most have had Covid (I have it for the first time now.)
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.