Job Network
Sponsored by

AG's I need a different job badly

11,636 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 78bc3
ForeverAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whelp AG's, tody I finally did it. I put in my 2 weeks today. I don't have anything lined up right now, I have alot of applications out there so as always please let me know if you hear of something. I am willing to relocate to find a better work life balance and opportunity.

Final straw today I took meetings in Houston Monday and Tuesday with big potential customers. He brought me in today to question why couldn't I just handle the meetings over the phone. I said that's it I'm done. We have been told to get in front of customers, so I do it, and now it's not ok to do that? Among a list of other issues that have happened the last few weeks today I hit my point of being done with this toxic work environment for good.
500,000ags
AG
What a freaking joke. Good luck!
BusterAg
AG
Everyone should be forced to work a year in sales. Brutal.

Im in between things now, too. Best of luck.
IrishTxAggie
AG
BusterAg said:

Everyone should be forced to work a year in sales. Brutal.

Im in between things now, too. Best of luck.
Not all sales roles are the same. I've been in some sort of sales role for 3/4 of my career and love it for the most part. It's definitely not for everyone. OP sounds like they enjoy(ed) sales, but just ended up with a ****ty supervisor.
schmellba99
AG
ForeverAg said:

Whelp AG's, tody I finally did it. I put in my 2 weeks today. I don't have anything lined up right now, I have alot of applications out there so as always please let me know if you hear of something. I am willing to relocate to find a better work life balance and opportunity.

Final straw today I took meetings in Houston Monday and Tuesday with big potential customers. He brought me in today to question why couldn't I just handle the meetings over the phone. I said that's it I'm done. We have been told to get in front of customers, so I do it, and now it's not ok to do that? Among a list of other issues that have happened the last few weeks today I hit my point of being done with this toxic work environment for good.
I'm kind of vindictive, but I'd likely spend the last couple of weeks letting customers know what a tool the boss of my company was, that I was leaving because of XYZ reasons and that they can get better service at one of the competitors.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
I would've chewed his ass in front of everyone in an attempt to get leverage and have him removed.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
AG
Given any thought to switching industries? With your experience in sales, you shouldn't have a difficult time transitioning.

The worst sales job I ever had was in tech, in Austin.
Exact same thing you experienced. And the worst job experiences I've heard of from others have all been in tech, also.

Seems to be a trend there. I think a lot of these nerdy little code writers end up getting moved into management positions and have absolutely no people skills whatsoever. Bunch of passive-aggressive little pansies.
ForeverAg
AG
4 said:

Given any thought to switching industries? With your experience in sales, you shouldn't have a difficult time transitioning.

The worst sales job I ever had was in tech, in Austin.
Exact same thing you experienced. And the worst job experiences I've heard of from others have all been in tech, also.

Seems to be a trend there. I think a lot of these nerdy little code writers end up getting moved into management positions and have absolutely no people skills whatsoever. Bunch of passive-aggressive little pansies.
I couldn't agree more. I am actively looking at getting back into the industrial/construction/O&G space right now. We are heading to Houston this weekend to look at moving back so I can get back to doing what I love as oppose to trying to force a fit. I have always had Account Management/ outside sales roles in the Industrial/O&G space so that is where I my focus has been over the past week. Luckily for me, I always kept my townhome in Houston, so we already have a place to live.

A posted a few up described the tech industry really well describing what types of companies are popping up in the Austin space and sadly the experiences with these companies is a common pattern. Sadly though, there are so many tech companies that are great, and great for to their employees, but I feel there are more in the space that are on the opposite of this spectrum.
AG
If you looking at O&G sales in Houston, give me a call. I have a number of contacts I can get you connected with.
ForeverAg
AG
4 said:

If you looking at O&G sales in Houston, give me a call. I have a number of contacts I can get you connected with.

Got your number in case you want to take it down.
schwabbin
AG
ForeverAg, we have a couple outside sales jobs available. We provide data in the financial services sector, primarily mortgage. Drop me your email if interested.
92Ag95
AG
ForeverAg said:

AG's, yes I have brought it to his attention 3 separate times now. He used one as a chance to humiliate me in front of the entire office. 2 other times he said he understands and he will change his management style but it never changes. I have emails asking him to teach me the material, or show me what I'm supposed to be doing and he will pull me aside for 5 minutes and that's it. This morning I was bombarded with how I must be lazy, or that I'm just not trying though last week I averaged twice as many calls as (47) as other reps on the team and improved my vocabulary and job awareness but I fell short of a goal of 20 accounts and only got 19. This morning was when I was called lazy, inept, and various other phrases.
Give him a copy of the book 'Extreme Ownership' and let him know that if he truly thinks you are failing then it is actually HIS failure as a manager that is to blame. Tell him to read the book.

https://www.amazon.com/Extreme-Ownership-U-S-Navy-SEALs/dp/1760558206/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1568921966&sr=8-1
Maximus_Meridius
AG
OP, my company appears to have 2 open sales positions selling rotating equipment and support systems to O&G, chem, and power plants in the Houston region right now. Shoot me a PM or give me your email and I can send you the referral link.

Hate to hear about the previous situation, but glad you're moving on. Stay positive and keep digging.
78bc3
AG
please e-mail me at Former Student Career Services ppausky78@tamu.edu
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.