Job Network
Sponsored by

How to answer application questions about race, gender, & disability?

2,635 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Esteban du Plantier
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have filled out my share of applications in the last 5 years due to the Offshore O&G Downturn... seems like at the end of every application I submit, I am asked:

What is your race?
What is your gender?
What is your veteran status?
Do you have a disability?

However:
Quote:

According to the EEOC, It Is Illegal to Ask a Candidate Questions About Their:
Race, Color, or National Origin.
Religion.
Sex, Gender Identity, or Sexual Orientation.
Pregnancy status.
Disability.
Age or Genetic Information.
Citizenship.
Marital Status or Number of Children.
1. Are these questions legal?
2. How should they be answered - does HR for these companies truly screen based on these answers?
cjo03
AG
companies still have regulatory reporting requirements to adhere to as part of EEOC.

most of the time these questions should have an option to select along the lines of "I choose not to provide this info" for candidates not wishing to provide it.. using that information for screening/selection is illegal. most mature companies will store that info separately from the qualifications info captured in an application.
ChrisTAMU
AG
I've always wondered how I should respond to these, given I've got the least desirable of answers.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
ChrisTAMU said:

I've always wondered how I should respond to these, given I've got the least desirable of answers.
You're a white, male, veteran, without a disability too?
ChrisTAMU
AG
I always assumed being a veteran was better, I'm not a veteran. So if that's the case then I'm nearly the worst answer.
Astroag
AG
I'm fairly certain those are voluntary disclosures...

If ya ain't cheatin, you ain't tryin!!!
ChrisTAMU
AG
They are. But his second question is what I'm curious about. Most of the time I refuse to answer but I don't know if that's the lesser of the two evils.
Seamaster
AG
1) Scrub social media of all pictures of yourself.

2) Put down black female even if you are a white male.

3)When you go to interview (because you will defiantly get a call as every employer is tripping over themselves to hire minorities) casually say things like, "As a black woman....."

4) They Cannot and Willnot question it! And if you don't get the job, sue them for not hiring you because you're a black woman!

Make identity politics work for you, not against you.
Troy91
AG
The EEOC questions are usually removed before the hiring manager views the application. The questions are for governmental reporting purposes and are not part of the interview process.
E
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

ChrisTAMU said:

You're a white, male, not a veteran, without a disability too?

FIFY
BrazosDog02
AG
E said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

ChrisTAMU said:

You're a white, male, not a veteran, without a disability too?

FIFY

Ding ding ding.
PacifistAg
AG
Episode IV said:

I have filled out my share of applications in the last 5 years due to the Offshore O&G Downturn... seems like at the end of every application I submit, I am asked:

What is your race?
What is your gender?
What is your veteran status?
Do you have a disability?

However:
Quote:

According to the EEOC, It Is Illegal to Ask a Candidate Questions About Their:
Race, Color, or National Origin.
Religion.
Sex, Gender Identity, or Sexual Orientation.
Pregnancy status.
Disability.
Age or Genetic Information.
Citizenship.
Marital Status or Number of Children.
1. Are these questions legal?
2. How should they be answered - does HR for these companies truly screen based on these answers?
I'm an HR Manager and have been in HR for a decade. To answer your questions:

1) Yes they are legal, but they are also voluntary. We've had the disclosure forms as part of our paperwork and, in the event that someone declines to answer, a best guess is typically made by HR personnel for reporting purposes. As was stated before, hiring managers typically do not have access to that information, as it can open the company of to claims of discrimination.
2) I've never once heard of an HR staff who penalized an applicant for declining to answer. If you do answer, answer honestly.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I just had an applicant that applied for an entry level office admin job. Not sure why he applied seeing that he only had drilling rig experience.

But his cover letter included "I'm a 28 year old straight white male that works hard and never gets sick". I guess covering his bases in case I was a racist, homophobe, ageist that hates the handicapped.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.